Heroes Of Newerth Goes Totally Free For One Week

• 172 results
#151 Posted by myslead (929 posts) -
@CharlieTuna: there are mods for the interface...
#152 Posted by tracerace11 (289 posts) -

pass

#153 Edited by Kefkaesque (200 posts) -

I personally prefer LoL.

Not necessarily because of the gameplay (which is... similar, to say the least), or because it's free, but because the community isn't comprised of screeching Howler monkeys who rage and cry 
over their headsets at any tiny mistake you make.

#154 Posted by SpoonyBard (20 posts) -

Frankly, League of Legends (which has ALWAYS been free) is the better game now and moving forward into the future.  The only negative LoL has, is its random server downtime.  I would at least give both a try before deciding which to settle down with. 

An extreme majority of HoN's setup is a direct copy of DotA showing (In my opinion) a lack of confidence and skill in S2's ability to be creative and the ability to stand out from the crowd.   As a society, we frown upon sequels that are carbon copies or games that steal huge elements from other games, so why should this be any different?  Do we have any faith in S2 games to create NEW things to keep the game fresh when a majority of its game is a copy? (and, yes, I know IceFrog gave his blessing, but that changes nothing).   

But, we should all be thankful for one thing about HoN; it harbors the worst of the worst of our gamer society so we don't have to play with them in other games.  All of you who might be enticed by this free week idea please note that the established players of HoN will act extremely negative toward you because they do not want you there "ruining" their game or worse. 

#155 Posted by Whitejaks (2 posts) -

Never really bothered with the Warcraft series...maybe its time now??

#156 Posted by Ironphist (26 posts) -

Personally, I feel LoL is a little more approachable for those not too familiar with DotA. 

#157 Posted by myslead (929 posts) -
@Brad said:
" I actually really want to play HON (have an account open and everything) but I'm so deep into StarCraft II already that I'm not sure I could juggle a second intensely competitive, intricate PC strategy game. Plus, the community scares me. "
come play with the giantbomb community, were a couple 
we're not scary :)
#158 Posted by Nikral (289 posts) -

This game is too much like DOTA in Warcraft 3, LoL gives just so much more new gameplay!

#159 Posted by RedRocketWestie (381 posts) -

Wish I'd read the comments before I tried this. Went to a 3v3 "noob" game, picked a character I'd scoped out ahead of time, and proceeded to be an anchor to my team. And as though I didn't NOTICE that I was dying a lot, my teammates (and opponents) made sure to punctuate every death with "OMG noob." What's the point of a "noob" server if you're going to get pissed at noobs? Definitely agree with the comments about the community. I'm a quick learner, but at this rate, I'll put up with abuse for a week, barely get good enough to pull my weight, and then be forced to pay $30 just to see if I really enjoy it. Needs a better tutorial, AI matches, a longer trial, or fewer assholes playing it. Uninstalling now.

#160 Posted by Nadril (545 posts) -

I'll be honest, while I can see why some people would shy away from HoN (it isn't a casual game really) I also really don't like that people are so scared of the community that they fail to even give it a good try.

HoN is easily one of the best games I have played as far as a multiplayer experience goes. I never played DoTA and I started with HoN in the closed beta. The key to having a good newbie experience is to make friends. This is a team game after all.

There are several newbie clans out there (LN is one of them) who specialize in helping new players into the game. 

Honestly once you actually learn the game it is a ton of fun to play.

As far as the LoL vs. HoN comparisons go, HoN is the superior game. It has better balance, smoother gameplay and unlike LoL it didn't bastardize the DoTA formula so it is incredibly competitive. The thing is is that LoL is very much the "casual friendly" version of DoTA. 

I'm trying to think of a good comparison to make between the two games as far as their differences. Case in point though HoN is the game that currently has several tournaments with prizes pools up in the 10,000+ range (and several several small tournaments too) and is quickly overtaking DoTA as the premiere competitive game for that genre. Meanwhile LoL is sort of trying to become a legitimate competitive game but in all honesty they never will be. I'm not going to sit here and bash LoL because it is very clear they are reaching to two very different demographics. All I will say though is that there is a reason why out of most of the top tier teams and players from DoTA they made the switch to HoN and not LoL.

#161 Posted by Nadril (545 posts) -
@SpoonyBard said:
"

Frankly, League of Legends (which has ALWAYS been free) is the better game now and moving forward into the future.  The only negative LoL has, is its random server downtime.  I would at least give both a try before deciding which to settle down with. 

An extreme majority of HoN's setup is a direct copy of DotA showing (In my opinion) a lack of confidence and skill in S2's ability to be creative and the ability to stand out from the crowd.   As a society, we frown upon sequels that are carbon copies or games that steal huge elements from other games, so why should this be any different?  Do we have any faith in S2 games to create NEW things to keep the game fresh when a majority of its game is a copy? (and, yes, I know IceFrog gave his blessing, but that changes nothing).   

But, we should all be thankful for one thing about HoN; it harbors the worst of the worst of our gamer society so we don't have to play with them in other games.  All of you who might be enticed by this free week idea please note that the established players of HoN will act extremely negative toward you because they do not want you there "ruining" their game or worse. 

"

Sorry for the double post but I had to reply to this. 

First of all HoN was very much meant to be DoTA without the limitations of the WC3 engine. That is what a lot of DoTA players wanted after all. While LoL did change several mechanics of DoTA they also changed them for the worse and ruined several very key balance factors that DoTA had. 

I'm not going to go into all of these (but things such as no denies, "ability power" and towers that do a stupid amount of damage limiting tower dives all just kill what made DoTA good) but needless to say I find what S2 did to be a much better approach as a whole. 

Also you mention the "ragers" in this free week, again, it is no stat servers only. You might get the occasional raging tard but for the most part no one gives a shit, quite frankly, on servers that don't mess with their stats. Honestly the number one mistake new players do is start off in matchmaking or stat games and then wonder why they get yelled at. 

Oh and part of the issue is that lower PSR games are filled with newbies who think they know more than they really do. Honestly the higher up you go the better the community gets. Sure, you still get a kid raging often times and you still get the random occasional retard but it's not this horror story like some people make it out to be. Then again I probably have simply adapted to it.
#162 Posted by kagekage (704 posts) -

God, when I played this game, I absolutely loved it. 
Too bad this laptop is a piece of shit that can only run Starcraft. Yes I am talking about Starcraft I. 

#163 Posted by PAT4019 (51 posts) -

A fine title!

#164 Posted by mashangle (2 posts) -

LoL is a pretty impressive game.  I'd like to try this, but League of Legends soaks up the majority of my PC gaming time already.  

#165 Posted by Ivoldir (8 posts) -

I have to say they should've waited a little longer before this Free Week. Most people are "busy" with Star Craft 2 it seems. But regardless, HoN is a pretty great game if you liked DOTA. LoL is like DOTA but with more RPG elements, which I dislike for that type of game, but that's just personal opinion.

#166 Posted by xtiara (56 posts) -

This free week has gotten a few of my friends trying out HoN, so that's pretty impressive considering their hatred for games without demos.

#167 Posted by joeyjoeyjoejoe (5 posts) -

Can't beat free

#168 Posted by MKLOL (71 posts) -

I really like HoN. I would've bought it if it was on steam. I really hate the fact that it isn't. And now with Starcraft 2, HoN is a thing of the past :D.

#169 Posted by itbei (31 posts) -

The right price makes it the best buy.

#170 Posted by Ujio (565 posts) -

Free is good.

#171 Posted by CodeMcK (88 posts) -

HoN really is an exciting, challenging game. Once you get past the community ( I recommend staying in the No Stat games for awhile as they are a lot more laid back) the game really opens up to a great multiplayer experience. I haven't gotten around to trying LoL yet but I hear its a lot more relaxed. I already payed for HoN so I'm gonna stick with that anyway.

#172 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

I played one match of this when this was in beta, died and everyone freaked out.

Pass.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.