HoN enters retail on 12th May

#1 Edited by White (1414 posts) -

Recently got an email from S2 stating that HoN is going to exit Open Beta and into retail soon. Come 12th May 4:00pm GMT -5, you're gonna need a paid account to play on HoN. South East Asian people like myself have to play another version of HoN (Just like LoL) cause for some reason DotA is super popular here and it warrants separating the user-base like that.

I'll post the email here for all to see;

I wanted to send out an email to let everyone know that HoN is going retail on Wednesday, May 12 @ 4:00pm EST (-5 GMT).  Starting Wednesday, May 5 @ 4:00pm EST (-5 GMT) we will allow accounts that purchase (or have already pre-purchased) to claim nicknames of accounts that are not pre-purchased.  If there is a nickname you want or if you would like to secure your own nickname, please take the time to purchase your account now instead of later.

Going to retail is exciting news for the game but raises many questions.  I tried to cover many of those questions in this FAQ.

1.) What happens when HoN goes retail?

When HoN goes retail it will require a paid account to play.  If you have not purchased your account you may do so by visiting https://www.heroesofnewerth.com/purchase_account.php

2.) Will HoN be free?  How much will it cost?  Are there any recurring fees?

HoN will not be free, it will cost a ONE TIME $30.00 USD payment with ZERO recurring fees.

3.) What will happen with stats, replays, PSR, and SMR after retail?

All stats will be reset upon release.  Also all historical data of previous matches, including replays, will be purged.  SMR and PSR (the ratings used for match making and public games) will be compressed, bringing all accounts closer to 1500 as we feel this will positively impact gameplay and team balances post release.

4.) Will HoN still be updated and new content added after retail?

We plan to consistently update HoN with lots of new heroes, items, features, and other goodies throughout the product life cycle for free.

5.) If I Pre-Purchased can my name be taken?  How do I stop my name from being taken?

If you pre-purchased your account your nickname can not be taken and that is the only way to secure it.

6.) If I Pre-Purchase before May 5th, can I take a non Pre-Purchased accounts name?

Absolutely, and on top of that we will make sure that all pre-purchased accounts have one nickname change credit to use for May 5.

7.) Are Golden Shields, Golden Names, and Taunt available anymore?  Will they ever be available again?

Unfortunately those pre-purchase incentives ended with closed beta a month ago.  We will not sell Golden Shields or Golden Names again but accounts will be able to acquire Taunt and other cool account features post release.

8.) I'm from South East Asia and I can't Pre-Purchase, why?  How will I play after retail?

We will be making our formal announcement for our partner and strategy for SEA early next week.  If you play from SEA your nickname will be able to taken but that will not impact you moving forward past retail.

I want to thank everyone who helped us beta test the game.  I could not be more proud of the product we have created and I look forward to seeing most of you post retail!  If you have not purchased the game yet, you may do so at
https://www.heroesofnewerth.com/purchase_account.php

So... If anyone's still interested in this game. Now's your chance to pay for this product... =/

EDIT: What... This got dumped to General Dicussion? Can a mod move this over to the Heroes of Newerth page?
#2 Posted by Phantom (182 posts) -

I've already paid for it, really looking forward to it going retail, should weed out some of the idiots in matchmaking.

Also, I have lined someone's name up to steal.

#3 Posted by Tenshin (98 posts) -

Hope SEA gets their HoN back soon. :)

#4 Posted by Crono (2707 posts) -

Well, it is officially retail now.  Who is sticking around?

#5 Posted by Mageknight (124 posts) -

I'm still playing. Retail is pretty fantastic.

#6 Posted by stephengotlost (703 posts) -

Mhhhm I never dove into HoN because I was always a LoL player. Besides the graphics, what are the notable differences?

#7 Posted by demontium (4710 posts) -

No offense but this game is really boring.

#8 Posted by HypoXenophobia (1045 posts) -

Is there a physical copy you could buy for HoN? I played the beta with my gf occasionally it was quite fun despite the Brits who play being the meanest people under the sun. I'd easily buy HoN if I saw a copy at a local best buy.

#9 Edited by floodiastus (1262 posts) -
@HypoXenophobia said:
" Is there a physical copy you could buy for HoN? I played the beta with my gf occasionally it was quite fun despite the Brits who play being the meanest people under the sun. I'd easily buy HoN if I saw a copy at a local best buy. "
No they dont have any big distributor, it is online sale only. 

I preordered ages ago. This game is fantastic, too bad the community is so hostile. I rate it a 4/5 because games can always get better. I have poured easily 200+ hours into this game and im still coming back for more.
#10 Posted by TehJedicake (901 posts) -

This game still isn't out yet? my clannies have been playing this for months and months, apparently it's been in beta for that long?

#11 Posted by White (1414 posts) -
Game's locked out to SEA, who will have it available to them whenever Garena (S2's SEA partner) feels like opening it up. Currently, Garena has plans to scheduled it for Open Beta (that's right folks, Open Beta again) at the end of May. God knows when real release will occur.

Oh. And S2 thought it'd be great to make the game free to play to SEA people. Guess we're too poor to afford USD$30.

Sucks really. I live in SEA and I really wanna play against people from the US. I don't wanna play against these other idiots who play whilst speaking in 100 different tongues and claim to know what they're doing but eventually don't. Also, with it being a free game, things like leaving matches, griefing and purposely feeding will become common place because anyone can just make a new free account and do all those. That $30 gateway was supposed to be a firewall to filter all of this nonsense. Sucks really.

@TehJedicake said:
" This game still isn't out yet? my clannies have been playing this for months and months, apparently it's been in beta for that long? "
It's out but you must buy it online from them. No physical disks.

The game is excellent if you have a posse of 5 to play along with, otherwise you might wanna reconsider.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.