Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Heroes of the Storm

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Jun 02, 2015

Heroes from Warcraft, StarCraft, Diablo, Overwatch, and other universes are summoned to the Nexus for five-on-five combat in Blizzard's take on the MOBA genre.

How many of you started because of Dan?

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Alt Joke Title: It's All Dan's Fault

I know I started playing because of Dan's quick look and how fun and approachable he made it seem. And I am kind of down the rabbit hole now. And from playing with some of the GB chat members, there seem to be a lot of newcomers.

Lazyimperial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, Dan just cost me $4.99 for the starter pack of characters. If I wasn't having such a damned good time, I'd be bitter. That could have bought me a Subway sandwich, Dan. For shame. :-P

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It got me back in. Playing with GB folks has been fun

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I have not, and probably never will. But that Quick Look definitely made the game seem good - and it helped me to understand MOBAs a bit more. Those other two MOBAs always look like complete nonsense whenever I see any footage, so I've never managed to comprehend the genre before.

HotS definitely seems approachable; I still have no desire to ever play a MOBA, but if I were to hypothetically play one, it would be HotS.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

Kinda sorta. I downloaded it a while back and I would have got there eventually, but Dan reminded me about it sooner.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea35e2382c82
    deactivated-5ea35e2382c82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That quicklook convinced me to at least give it a shot, first MOBA I've tried since the days of Warcraft 3 custom maps so I guess that's something. Still mainly sticking to playing the AI matches though while I learn the game, is the online community as bad and elitist as their reputation or can someone realistically jump into a online match without it being a total mess?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@jthom252 said:

...is the online community as bad and elitist as their reputation or can someone realistically jump into a online match without it being a total mess?

It's not bad at all, especially when you compare it to Dota. Plus if you join the the GB chat you're sure to find other people to play with. /join giantbomb and go from there.

Even just a little bit of coordination with other people and you will be stomping your opponents in quick matches with ease.

Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It got me to try it again but unfortunately it didn't grab me any more than it did the first time and I've already uninstalled it again.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I was already committed to playing it, but I played my first few real matches. I wanted an excuse.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

Yes, Dan got me to finally jump in for real after having only played a couple of the tutorials previously. I played my first match last night in which I had 7 takedowns and no deaths, so hey, that seems like a good start. Hopefully I can join in with some Giant Bomb peoples in the future.

dadjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup! My first MOBA.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Yea, after seeing Dan play it I tried it. Definitely like it better than Dota 2 or LoL, but I'd rather play with friends than randoms.

sir_tonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tried it a few months ago, but the idea of playing with people from GB made it a bit more appealing and maybe running into Dan makes it potentially more amusing.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing it this weekend and I kinda like it. Also helps to look for like minded new people in the giantbomb chat channel.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By darkvare

i've been trying to like it since the alpha but i hate most of the maps so i can only stand around 1 or 2 matches a week

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, Dan hooked me.

Curiously I've also finally started playing Hearthstone.

mrflibble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've been playing it and have been having fun, mainly because it's easier then dota2 and I like the map objectives.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

*Raises Hand*

Dalerax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I downloaded it and intend to start soon. The quick look made it look really accessible, and free is a hard price to say no to, especially for a Blizzard game.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I downloaded it and have played a few games against AI to try out all the characters I can. I really like Malfurion and hanging back and healing. I enjoy it and would probably really get into it if I had a group to regularly play with. After I get a bit more comfortable with the game then I might try to join some games with some of you guys here. This may be what I play until Metal Gear comes out.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By LawGamer

I tried it out a little bit, I'm only three matches in for now.

I've always had three big problems with MOBAs. One, they seem intensely repetitive. Two, they are usually completely impenetrable for newcomers, with a lot of specific lingo that isn't explained. And three, the asshole quotient seems really, really high.

So far, HotS seems to address one alright. I like that there are at least different maps with different side objectives, even if it's the same basic premise each and every time. I'll also give it credit for at least trying to have something of a tutorial, although it did seem pretty bare bones to me.

The big test will be when I stop playing against the AI and introduce real humans into the mix. I'm slightly optimistic on this point. The game seems a lot more noob friendly than other MOBAs, so hopefully most the DOTA jerks will avoid this so as to avoid mingling with the filthy casuals like me.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I decided to re-download it because of Dan. Time will tell if I actually launch the game and try to play it again. I just cant do mobas or rts games.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Not even dan could convince me to play a MOBA. Its the purified distillation of all my least favorite aspects of RTS games.

mtfikhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I blame Dan

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
    deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I balm Brad and his DOTA 2 ways! Oh god I played 25 games over the weekend. Please shot me I like a MOBA.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#28 FinalDasa  Moderator

I had played once or twice when it was in alpha but hadn't touched it again until Dan mentioned it.

If anyone is willing to group and feel free to PM me! I don't play that often but a few games a week would be just fine with me.

Avatar image for dude_dudenstein
    Dude_Dudenstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dude_Dudenstein

I haven't started yet because work has been getting in the way of my game time, surprise huh, but once I do I'll definitely be down to join anyone here if anyone is interested in being a sherpa

w7w7w7w7w7w7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh yeah! Thanks Dan! I could never get into LoL or DOTA. They where just to slow, matches where to drawn out and never really held my interest. This game finds a nice balance though and never wears out it's welcome!

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I installed it and started training. Haven't gone back since mgs came out

wsker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was already interested, because from what I've read it eliminated everything that made me not interested in lol/dota2 - no last hit, shared experience, shorter games. The QL convinced me to finally give it a try, and I really love it (and was already able to convince a friend as well).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.