Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hideo Kojima

Person » credited in 60 games

Hideo Kojima is a game developer, producer, and director who has spent the bulk of his career making games in the Metal Gear series. He formerly ran his own studio at Konami called Kojima Productions.

true art, or just cheesiness?

pandemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pandemic

With so many of the Metal Gear games (especially 4), I've seen reviews characterize the over-abundant cutscenes as being on par with top Hollywood movies.

Really?

The dramatic camera angles, the over-drawn dialogue, exaggerated gestures...I don't know.  Kojima is definitely one of the best game makers out there, but his penchant for melodrama is a little annoying sometimes.  Anyone agree?

p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By p_p_o_d

some people like Kojimas style of story telling and some people dont.

some people like space marines and some people dont,

Is the Cutscene to long or do you have a shot attention span?

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By Atlas

I've got no problem with long cutscenes. Long boring cutscenes on the other hand...

fraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By fraser

I only have a problem with long cutscenes when they're TOO long in comparison to the amount of gameplay. For example, from the end of act 2 to the first gameplay moment in act 3 of MGS4 there is a MAMMOTH cutscene of nearly an hour or something, and when each act can be done in about an hour, it can be a bit annoying

MoldOnHold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MoldOnHold

Some cutscenes are over-the-top, but I wouldn't exactly call them cheesy. They are usually either epic, funny, or serve to flesh out the story.

Foil_Charizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Foil_Charizard

As video games gravitate closer to telling in depth and emotionally charged stories, like films do, it only makes sense that cut scenes will become more like a film. My vote is  for art.

Met2609

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Met2609

I love the cutscenes, definitely art. I think you have to like Kojima's brand of craziness and embrace the obvious cheesy nature of some of them to totally get into it. Even if it is over the top and crazy, it still draws me in.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.