Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

High Definition Graphics

Concept »

A console game is high definition if it operates at a resolution of at least 720p, or 1280x720. A console able to achieve this resolution is HD-capable. For a variety of reasons, the term does not apply to PC games.

CryEngine 3 Demo

R3ym0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By R3ym0nd

I was at IGN.com today and saw this CryEngine 3 Demo.If you havent seen this already, i suggest you check it out. It is in development and looks GREAT, Crytek announced that it will introduce CryEngine 3 at the 09 Game Developers Conference, and the best thing is it is also meant for Xbox 360 and Playstation 3.That means people that dont have uber pc's maybe can play Crytek's future games at max graphics without hiccups on their consoles.I think the engine has potential ,but you can never know.

P.S Im sorry if i have grammar or interpunctuation problems in my text. English is not my native language.

R3ym0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By R3ym0nd

I was at IGN.com today and saw this CryEngine 3 Demo.If you havent seen this already, i suggest you check it out. It is in development and looks GREAT, Crytek announced that it will introduce CryEngine 3 at the 09 Game Developers Conference, and the best thing is it is also meant for Xbox 360 and Playstation 3.That means people that dont have uber pc's maybe can play Crytek's future games at max graphics without hiccups on their consoles.I think the engine has potential ,but you can never know.

P.S Im sorry if i have grammar or interpunctuation problems in my text. English is not my native language.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

I saw it yesterday, not so impressed myself.  I figure the presentation of the engine was just quickly made to show the product, but it looks poor performing to me.  The indoor parts looked well below current console standards, and the outdoor parts looked a little bad.  It might be the amount of foliage in the video that's performance hungry, but Uncharted and Far Cry 2 look WAY better.

I don't know if Crytek can compete if given set performance limits.  So far they've only shown that they can make a game that requires way too much hardware.  They haven't shown efficiency yet.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By get2sammyb

Yeah, I honestly don't understand why people are going apeshit over this. It doesn't look that good, and it's a long way off being turned into a meaningful game with a compelling concept.

R3ym0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By R3ym0nd

Well i think we should wait before the Engine's games are out to decide or at least a better quality video (i dont know if GameTrailers has one) ,but actually thinking about it you are right, but a demo is a demo. CryEngine 3 is still in development.

Bioderm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Bioderm

It doesnt look as good as cryengine 2 on the PC. I thought that cryengine 3 would be an evolution not a step backward. I would have been happy with them just optimising there cryengine 2 even more now it just looks like they removed high resolution textute and there's way less particle effects.

A demo is a demonstration and it should represent what the engine can do and right now it doesn't look very good.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Diamond
    R3ym0nd said:
    "Well i think we should wait before the Engine's games are out to decide or at least a better quality video (i dont know if GameTrailers has one) ,but actually thinking about it you are right, but a demo is a demo. CryEngine 3 is still in development."
    Yea.  Unreal Engine 3 was the opposite way probably.  Epic showed screens that could never be run on current hardware.  Crytek is probably showing a real WIP.
    inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By inkeiren
    Diamond said:
    I don't know if Crytek can compete if given set performance limits.  So far they've only shown that they can make a game that requires way too much hardware.  They haven't shown efficiency yet."
    About 20 seconds into watching the video, I thought the exact same thing.

Also, it basically looks like the original Crysis. I hope the engine is better performance-wise, because that's all I can really hope for now.
    LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

i was prepared to be blown away, but after watching that.......WTF. it doesn't even look that good. Killzone 2 proved to me that i don't need a powerful PC or a "Cry Engine" technology for me to be able to experience top-of-the-line graphical game on a console.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Hamz

Is it just me or does the demo video look worse than the demo videos for when Crysis was released and Crytek were advertising they CryEngine 2 product?

I guess if CE3 is mean't to run on consoles then it will likely not look as great as previous versions, but hopefully it will run smoother. As someone already said Crytek have proven they can push boundries with technology, but they really haven't proven they can make stable, efficient and optimised performance using that technology.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Geno

Er, just me or does it look worse than Cry2?

R3ym0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By R3ym0nd

Well i think i got overhyped that a console would have crysis game, but yeah comparing it to FarCry 2 and Crysis it looks worse, i hope it will run smoother.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.