First reviews of Hitman: Absolution are out

• 174 results
#101 Posted by Incapability (197 posts) -

If you're trembling in your boots from neurotic worrisomeness about the new Hitman game, I'd recommend checking out some video of the game on YouTube. More or less the entire game is being posted on YouTube, currently, because... you know.

Anyway, it gives a great impression of what the game looks like, and what to expect, and it quite honestly looks fantastic. Go, look it up! Or wait? Maybe wait. Or go look!

Or wait.

Whatever you do, you should form an informed opinion of your own, rather than leave it to one publication or the other.

#102 Posted by dudeglove (7684 posts) -

If you mouthbreathers bothered to read the PC Gamer review to the end, you'll have noted he said it wasn't a bad game, he said it was a bad Hitman game. Play Blood Money before slamming someone's opinion you infidels, then you'll realize how garbage Absolution truly is.

#103 Posted by BaneFireLord (2909 posts) -
@Kerned said:

@Sneeze: That isn't how I read it. He's not complaining about not being able to quicksave "every second," but about their being no saves, just checkpoints. That would be a problem. Saving and experimenting is a HUGE part of the Hitman series. As far as him wanting to do assassinations all the time, I'm not sure what you mean.

According to a commenter on this page who has played through the whole thing, the checkpointing in lieu of saves is only in place on the easiest level of difficulty.  
#104 Posted by CommanderZx2 (134 posts) -

@GentlemanlyGentleman said:

@Feces_Pieces said:

"many of the assassinations you perform are pre-determined cutscenes in which Agent 47 fails to kill his target, rendering all of your work pointless."

This is... disconcerting.

They're not cutscenes unlike that muppet claims. Instead it is just like how it was in Hitman Blood Money, if you use an object to kill someone you watch hitman carry out the animation. That is what this reviewer is claiming to be 'cutscenes'.

#105 Posted by Feces_Pieces (24 posts) -

@CommanderZx2: Thanks for the info. Yeah, according to some of the recent comments on gameranx, that PCGamer review contains some straight-up misinformation. Nonetheless, reading that assassinations were cutscenes was disconcerting to say the least. Needless to say, I'm going to reserve judgement until I see more of the game.

#106 Posted by Dvsshark (28 posts) -

Well Conan seemed to have some fun with the game.

I'm gonna wait tell more reviews come from sources i trust such as this website.

#107 Edited by csl316 (8095 posts) -
@Dvsshark: I was just about to post this.  I don't always agree with Jeff, so Conan's a good back up.

And weren't people calling the nun trailer tasteless, and then it was blamed on marketing, but the game still seems to feature killer sexy nuns?
#108 Posted by Dvsshark (28 posts) -

@csl316: If you played Blood Money, their was some questionable characters in the game. One of the mission had you kill a sexy chicken suit assassin. Another mission had you kill a mob boss, and one of the ways you can kill her is by luring here away for sex. So maybe the world has changed, but I like the craziness of blood money.

#109 Posted by Sin4profit (2906 posts) -

There reviews seem counter to what Jeff was saying on TNT tonight, i wonder where he's getting his info from. Luckily the PC version of Need For Speed Most Wanted has knocked the wind out of my pre ordering sails so i'll be waiting for reviews on this one.

#110 Posted by LucVargas (19 posts) -

@Sin4profit said:

There reviews seem counter to what Jeff was saying on TNT tonight, i wonder where he's getting his info from. Luckily the PC version of Need For Speed Most Wanted has knocked the wind out of my pre ordering sails so i'll be waiting for reviews on this one.

I missed tonight's TNT. What did Jeff say? Also, I wonder if Giant Bomb is reviewing this game. And if so, who would review it? Maybe Patrick, since he liked Blood Money?

#111 Posted by Sin4profit (2906 posts) -

@LucVargas: He just said he was hearing that people weren't too hot on the game. Didn't go into detail but supposedly an article from PC Gamer seems to be trashing it ( Source )

I'm also reading in the PC Gamer forum where someone claims that playing the game on Normal difficulty is terrible and go on to state that it should be played on the Expert difficulty so there's really no telling until more reviews come out.

I feel like Ryan would review this one. He mentions the franchise more then i've heard anyone else mention it.

#112 Posted by Pixeldemon (244 posts) -

@Feces_Pieces said:

"many of the assassinations you perform are pre-determined cutscenes in which Agent 47 fails to kill his target, rendering all of your work pointless."

I'm with Burt.......... I hope these are isolated story beats, and not par for the average mission.

#113 Posted by dudeglove (7684 posts) -

Yup, not buying it.

#114 Posted by Ghostiet (5223 posts) -

@dudeglove said:

Yup, not buying it.

I wanted to post something witty, but I simply can't. I'm fucking speechless. Why.

#115 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -
@Ghostiet

@dudeglove said:

Yup, not buying it.

I wanted to post something witty, but I simply can't. I'm fucking speechless. Why.

Wow what the fuck was that? I was worried when looking at the pc gamer review but now I believe what they were saying. Maybe that's the only thing like that in there but still it should not be in there in the first place. Guess we will see what other reviewers think
#116 Posted by me3639 (1725 posts) -

Got my new GI yesterday and they gave it an 8.75.

#117 Posted by Demoskinos (14561 posts) -

Well damn that video uh .... Lets hope this is only one of the ways you can finish that guy off.

#118 Posted by Zaccheus (1788 posts) -

@dudeglove said:

Yup, not buying it.

What, I don't even... Wha-

#119 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@Sin4profit said:

@Zaccheus said:

@dudeglove said:

Yup, not buying it.

What, I don't even... Wha-

BUYING IT!!!

#120 Posted by FritzDude (2253 posts) -

There's been leaked footage online in a level about a wrestler where 47 takes off his mask, snaps the guys neck in front of alot of spectators and still gets a silent assassin ranking. Is this an indication of this way being the only way to clear the level, or can you kill the wrestler in more than one way?

The particular level in question has a number of different way of solving it, if you don't want to take down your target in an illegal wrestling match :-)

&

Can you explain the Sanchez mission, and how you get a Silent Assassin rank from killing a large wrestler in front of hundreds of people?

Maybe you don't have to kill him in front of hundreds of people? ;)
#121 Posted by Ramone (2959 posts) -

@FritzDude said:

There's been leaked footage online in a level about a wrestler where 47 takes off his mask, snaps the guys neck in front of alot of spectators and still gets a silent assassin ranking. Is this an indication of this way being the only way to clear the level, or can you kill the wrestler in more than one way?

The particular level in question has a number of different way of solving it, if you don't want to take down your target in an illegal wrestling match :-)

&

Can you explain the Sanchez mission, and how you get a Silent Assassin rank from killing a large wrestler in front of hundreds of people?

Maybe you don't have to kill him in front of hundreds of people? ;)

Where are those quotes from?

#122 Posted by FritzDude (2253 posts) -

@Ramone: from a live question event With the Developers, which you can read all about here

#123 Posted by dudeglove (7684 posts) -

Upon reading your reactions to the vid on page six I've realized that Absolution is probably a goddamn work of stupid genius.

Here's the original vid of the mission. The "fight" starts 6 minutes in

#124 Edited by KlUMZeE (315 posts) -

@LucVargas said:

@Sin4profit said:

I missed tonight's TNT. What did Jeff say? Also, I wonder if Giant Bomb is reviewing this game. And if so, who would review it? Maybe Patrick, since he liked Blood Money?

I think it was actually Ryan that said it, and he said "according to some things I've been hearing from Alex" So it's probably Alex who's writing the review.

I really hope this game is great because it caught my interest when I first saw it and it'd be a shame if it turned out to be shit.

#125 Edited by Tennmuerti (7998 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

@Ghostiet

@dudeglove said:

Yup, not buying it.

Wow what the fuck was that? I was worried when looking at the pc gamer review but now I believe what they were saying. Maybe that's the only thing like that in there but still it should not be in there in the first place. Guess we will see what other reviewers think

I'll repost my thougths on this here since it seems relevant:

The kill would have actually been perfect if it was just the kill in the arena and left it there. It's a match to the death so no one cares and it's expected. So fair game there. But imo the mask removal pushes it over the top too much for my tastes. Not very incognito. On the other hand an argument could be made that in an illegal underground match no one knows who the wrestlers are, nor do they care, both 47 and the mark are just some 2 dudes fighting to the death, business as usual, next day it will be someone else. I remember when 47 could run past half the White House staff with alarms blazing and you would also get the silent assassin, because in a panic he was just another suit in shades, there are certain similarities in the situation.

#126 Posted by TheIronWeasel (26 posts) -

@KlUMZeE: According to Ryan, Giant Bomb hasn't received a copy yet.

#127 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Well the game has leaked on PS3 and 360 online so expect tons of footage to be around.

I'll be a little surprised if consoles next gen don't have some form of activation to prevent this from happening, they forced it down PC gamer's throats after all.

#128 Posted by dudeglove (7684 posts) -

@Sooty said:

Well the game has leaked on PS3 and 360 online so expect tons of footage to be around.

I'll be a little surprised if consoles next gen don't have some form of activation to prevent this from happening, they forced it down PC gamer's throats after all.

I watched a live stream of some of it on a dodgy Chinese rip-off of YouTube a couple of days ago. Safe to say impressions are not good.

#129 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

@dudeglove said:

Upon reading your reactions to the vid on page six I've realized that Absolution is probably a goddamn work of stupid genius.

I want to go back in time and abort Shenmue.

#130 Posted by Gets2much (2 posts) -

Why abort Shenmue. It was a great game. People just seem that copying it 10 years later is a great fun idea. Dynamite Cop had the fast reaction time cinematics to. Lets abort that also right. Im still getting the game. Dues Ex way awesome and IO is pretty choice in quality these days. Tomb Raider soon to follow.

#131 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

Don't go hating on Shenmue.

#132 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

Whoa, leave Shenmue out of it. They didn't invent the QTE. It was a great game at the time. If you are implying that a QTE is turning you off of H:A then I'm sorry, but it's your loss apparently. The game is scoring well so far. I plan on checking it out eventually.

#133 Posted by Joeasis (60 posts) -

I don't understand all this leaking business... the game is out in the UK. I have it :/

And yes I'm stuck already. I shouldn't be playing this on purist.

#134 Posted by Yummylee (21242 posts) -

@dudeglove said:

Motherfu-

...I should probably get back to playing more Hitman Absolution.

#135 Edited by Mister_V (1190 posts) -

@Joeasis: No it's not... It comes out on the 20th here. Unless you got an early delivery, you have got it from somewhere that has broken street date.

#136 Posted by Joeasis (60 posts) -

Oh... well I've got it early then lol. Although, not as early as the people who leaked the footage, it seems,

#137 Posted by andrewf87462 (547 posts) -
#138 Posted by Droop (1828 posts) -

Adam Sessler review:

#139 Posted by jimmyfenix (3829 posts) -
#140 Posted by Ramone (2959 posts) -

I'll buy it, initial impressions were putting me off but it seems good enough to fill the Hitman void.

#141 Posted by FritzDude (2253 posts) -

The critics reviews seems so scattered. To me it looks like a game that people will either love or hate. Guess I will find out myself on the 20th when the game unlocks.

#142 Edited by xMrSunshine (360 posts) -
#143 Posted by Nictel (2380 posts) -

@xMrSunshine said:

Now that there are other reviews up it seems that the PC Gamer review wasn't that far off. RPS for example seems pretty down on the game and it really doesn't sound good.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/18/wot-i-think-hitman-absolution/

Oh geez this doesn't sound good at all!

Reviews..

@jimmyfenix said:

Duimschroef – 9/10

This Dutch review suggest that there are 5 out of 20 mission involving action, which are shit, but the other mission far out make up for it. It's nice when reviewers contradict each other. Almost makes them seem like personal taste. The Gametrailers review is the best though. Saying the game is bad because you lose points for killing innocents..

It's the main reason I like GB. QL's are the best reviews, as you actually see if a game is good or bad. Even if the GB crew doesn't like it you can decide if you agree with them or not.

#144 Posted by Demoskinos (14561 posts) -

Honestly, I think this is going to be another polarizing game like Resident Evil 6. The people who liked it will most likely really like it and then there will be the camp that absolutely hates all the changes. It seems to me their vision from the start was different for this game. I think I've already accepted that going in so.... I'm ready to have a good time.

#145 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

Honestly, I think this is going to be another polarizing game like Resident Evil 6. The people who liked it will most likely really like it and then there will be the camp that absolutely hates all the changes. It seems to me their vision from the start was different for this game. I think I've already accepted that going in so.... I'm ready to have a good time.

Well Resident Evil 6 had flat out bad game design in a lot of places, this just seems like it isn't living up to what Hitman fans wanted.

#146 Posted by Demoskinos (14561 posts) -
@Sooty RE6 had flaws but I don't think it was nearly as flawed as some people make it out to be.
#147 Posted by xMrSunshine (360 posts) -

@Nictel: Could not care less what some dutch guy somewhere says on some site I've never heard of in a review that's written in a language I can't understand a word of. You do realize how stupid it is that you just quote two numbers and a slash from a review? That hardly proves anything. I think that the guys at RPS are a credible source for reviews, I like their style and usually if they say a game is shit I've usually agreed with them at least on some level. All the points they talk about in the review seem like their judgement on the game is fair.

#148 Posted by Mmmslash (2166 posts) -

I really don't understand why people are so put off by this video of the wrestling match. This is not a turn away from the series they have loved for years, it's always been dumb.

I mean, it's a series about a clone who puts mines in buckets of chicken and covers children's underwear in ether. It was always pretty dumb, in a good way.

#149 Posted by jacksmedulla (278 posts) -

@xMrSunshine: You do realize how stupid it is to base your entire opinion of a game on two or three outlier reviews, when the rest of the released reviews average out to around an 85% range, don't you? Adam Sessler, a man whose opinion I trust, loved the game, and while it may not be a "traditional" Hitman game, the general consensus seems to be that it is a very good stealth action game with a great story and great writing. Simply avoiding a game because it doesn't strictly adhere to a game design previous games in the franchise had, does not make it a bad game.

#150 Posted by Nictel (2380 posts) -

@xMrSunshine said:

@Nictel: Could not care less what some dutch guy somewhere says on some site I've never heard of in a review that's written in a language I can't understand a word of. You do realize how stupid it is that you just quote two numbers and a slash from a review? That hardly proves anything. I think that the guys at RPS are a credible source for reviews, I like their style and usually if they say a game is shit I've usually agreed with them at least on some level. All the points they talk about in the review seem like their judgement on the game is fair.

Writing something off because it is in another language. You must be American.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.