First reviews of Hitman: Absolution are out

• 174 results
#151 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7098 posts) -
@Nictel

@xMrSunshine said:

@Nictel: Could not care less what some dutch guy somewhere says on some site I've never heard of in a review that's written in a language I can't understand a word of. You do realize how stupid it is that you just quote two numbers and a slash from a review? That hardly proves anything. I think that the guys at RPS are a credible source for reviews, I like their style and usually if they say a game is shit I've usually agreed with them at least on some level. All the points they talk about in the review seem like their judgement on the game is fair.

Writing something off because it is in another language. You must be American.

What he said was really stupid but maybe avoid generalizing an entire nation by lumping the rest of us in with him.
#152 Edited by SonnyCheebah (36 posts) -
@jacksmedulla: The story to this game is fucking terrible, actually.
#153 Posted by dudeglove (7911 posts) -

Guys there's really no need to be a bunch of Absolution apologists.

#154 Edited by xMrSunshine (361 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre: Well aren't you a happy camper. I wrote it off because it has no value to me as purchasing advice because I do not understand any of the text and just the score is worthless even if I could understand the text. I don't see why you would over react to my post like that, seems like a pretty stupid thing to do since I wasn't attacking the language or anything related to the writers nationality but just the fact that I can't understand the language itself and I'm sorry if I somehow hurt your feelings and/or your national pride. By your logic it would be pretty ironic for me to be on this website writing to you in English considering I'm from Finland. Good job being a racist asshole for implying that all Americans and only Americans think that languages other than English are worthless. Nice going! Really makes you seem like a nice guy who's worth having an argument with.

@jacksmedulla: You do realize how stupid it is that you're whining to me about trusting one or two reviews but you yourself are doing the same with trusting one man's opinion and paraphrasing his words to support your argument? I don't know about you but I only need one or two good reviews to get an idea about a game and then decide for myself if the game in question is worth buying. Why should I care about a the average score (and I wont even go to the whole can of worms that is reviews and magical numbers that tell you how good a game is) of 85%? what good does that do to me? If 100 people review a game and 80 of those people think it's good but it turns out that those 80 people don't like the same type of games as I do should I still go ahead and think I should get the game because most of the people who reviewed it think it deserves 9 peanuts out of 10? Isn't it much more valuable for me to get a selected few people who I agree with on games and then make my decision on what they think of the game? You see this is why I come to Giant Bomb. Because they offer something like this where I know the people and have an idea what they like so I can the decide if the product in question is for me. I also don't understand where you got the idea that I'm avoiding this game simply because it does something new for the franchise. That would be pretty weird considering I've never played a Hitman game to completion even though I've played three of them. Geez, I wonder why that is? Maybe I think the franchise, while being super interesting and mostly pretty good, still has some flaws but hey, probably not because I think no game should ever try anything different with it's sequels.

@dudeglove: I totally agree. Even if we haven't got a Hitman game in a while does't mean that the thing that comes out is automatically superb (or awful either).

#155 Posted by Yummylee (21794 posts) -

@Sooty said:

@Demoskinos said:

Honestly, I think this is going to be another polarizing game like Resident Evil 6. The people who liked it will most likely really like it and then there will be the camp that absolutely hates all the changes. It seems to me their vision from the start was different for this game. I think I've already accepted that going in so.... I'm ready to have a good time.

Well Resident Evil 6 had flat out bad game design in a lot of places, this just seems like it isn't living up to what Hitman fans wanted.

Yup, RE6 was just bad, whereas Absolution is alright, it's just nowhere near as complex and open as prior games.

#156 Posted by dudeglove (7911 posts) -
#157 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7098 posts) -
@xMrSunshine

@MariachiMacabre: Well aren't you a happy camper. I wrote it off because it has no value to me as purchasing advice because I do not understand any of the text and just the score is worthless even if I could understand the text. I don't see why you would over react to my post like that, seems like a pretty stupid thing to do since I wasn't attacking the language or anything related to the writers nationality but just the fact that I can't understand the language itself and I'm sorry if I somehow hurt your feelings and/or your national pride. By your logic it would be pretty ironic for me to be on this website writing to you in English considering I'm from Finland. Good job being a racist asshole for implying that all Americans and only Americans think that languages other than English are worthless. Nice going! Really makes you seem like a nice guy who's worth having an argument with.

@jacksmedulla: You do realize how stupid it is that you're whining to me about trusting one or two reviews but you yourself are doing the same with trusting one man's opinion and paraphrasing his words to support your argument? I don't know about you but I only need one or two good reviews to get an idea about a game and then decide for myself if the game in question is worth buying. Why should I care about a the average score (and I wont even go to the whole can of worms that is reviews and magical numbers that tell you how good a game is) of 85%? what good does that do to me? If 100 people review a game and 80 of those people think it's good but it turns out that those 80 people don't like the same type of games as I do should I still go ahead and think I should get the game because most of the people who reviewed it think it deserves 9 peanuts out of 10? Isn't it much more valuable for me to get a selected few people who I agree with on games and then make my decision on what they think of the game? You see this is why I come to Giant Bomb. Because they offer something like this where I know the people and have an idea what they like so I can the decide if the product in question is for me. I also don't understand where you got the idea that I'm avoiding this game simply because it does something new for the franchise. That would be pretty weird considering I've never played a Hitman game to completion even though I've played three of them. Geez, I wonder why that is? Maybe I think the franchise, while being super interesting and mostly pretty good, still has some flaws but hey, probably not because I think no game should ever try anything different with it's sequels.

@dudeglove: I totally agree. Even if we haven't got a Hitman game in a while does't mean that the thing that comes out is automatically superb (or awful either).

Except I'm not the one that implied that at all, it was the guy I was replying to.
#158 Posted by VindictivePotato (10 posts) -

Based of the myriads of reviews that have been pouring in from different sites (including gamespot's 7.5), its safe to assume this will be a horrible Hitman game but, rather, a decent game in its own rights. 'Tis a Shame, I was looking forward to a traditional Hitman experience.

#159 Posted by xMrSunshine (361 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre: Woops, sorry about that. I mus have clicked the wrong message by accident. I sometimes get confused with the Giant Bomb reply system and how it handles quotes and replies.

@Nictel: Well aren't you a happy camper. I wrote it off because it has no value to me as purchasing advice because I do not understand any of the text and just the score is worthless even if I could understand the text. I don't see why you would over react to my post like that, seems like a pretty stupid thing to do since I wasn't attacking the language or anything related to the writers nationality but just the fact that I can't understand the language itself and I'm sorry if I somehow hurt your feelings and/or your national pride. By your logic it would be pretty ironic for me to be on this website writing to you in English considering I'm from Finland. Good job being a racist asshole for implying that all Americans and only Americans think that languages other than English are worthless. Nice going! Really makes you seem like a nice guy who's worth having an argument with.

#160 Posted by Nictel (2422 posts) -

@xMrSunshine said:

@MariachiMacabre: Woops, sorry about that. I mus have clicked the wrong message by accident. I sometimes get confused with the Giant Bomb reply system and how it handles quotes and replies.

@Nictel: Well aren't you a happy camper. I wrote it off because it has no value to me as purchasing advice because I do not understand any of the text and just the score is worthless even if I could understand the text. I don't see why you would over react to my post like that, seems like a pretty stupid thing to do since I wasn't attacking the language or anything related to the writers nationality but just the fact that I can't understand the language itself and I'm sorry if I somehow hurt your feelings and/or your national pride. By your logic it would be pretty ironic for me to be on this website writing to you in English considering I'm from Finland. Good job being a racist asshole for implying that all Americans and only Americans think that languages other than English are worthless. Nice going! Really makes you seem like a nice guy who's worth having an argument with.

Ah see the post did come across to me as 'it is in another language so I don't care'. As for being a racist asshole, I should remember that sarcasm doesn't work on the internet, I wasn't being serious and I don't actually think that.

#161 Posted by SuperSambo (2869 posts) -

@VindictivePotato said:

Based of the myriads of reviews that have been pouring in from different sites (including gamespot's 7.5), its safe to assume this will be a horrible Hitman game but, rather, a decent game in its own rights. 'Tis a Shame, I was looking forward to a traditional Hitman experience.

Blood Money got 82 from the same outlet, which I assume would be an 8 under the current system.

#162 Posted by dudeglove (7911 posts) -

Y'all read too much into numbers. An arbitrary measurement for what is entirely a subjective experience is incredibly flawed from the outset. "I'm eight tenths sure this is a good game!"

#163 Posted by xMrSunshine (361 posts) -

@Nictel: That's good to hear. Misunderstanding on both sides so no point dwelling on them.

#164 Posted by Bonino (2 posts) -

Pretty sure Absolution will end up being great!

#165 Edited by Chaser324 (6591 posts) -

The impressions of this game, both from critics and people that got the game early, seem to be all over the place.

I've never been a huge fan of the Hitman series, so I'll probably sit it out regardless, but I always find it interesting when you see such a split opinion on a game. I feel like for as long as video games have existed, the critical consensus has tended to be extremely consistent, especially in comparison to movies, TV, and books that often have a wide array of differing opinions.

Moderator Online
#166 Edited by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

Machinima's review answered a lot of questions for me. This is disappointing. Oh well. Going to pick up Dishonored instead.

@Chaser324 said:

The impressions of this game, both from critics and people that got the game early, seem to be all over the place.

I've never been a huge fan of the Hitman series, so I'll probably sit it out regardless, but I always find it interesting when you see such a split opinion on a game. I feel like for as long as video games have existed, the critical consensus has tended to be extremely consistent, especially in comparison to movies, TV, and books that often have a wide array of differing opinions.

The divide has much to do with whether or not the reviewer was invested in previous Hitman games, or even played them, and the extent to which deviations from the formula towards checkpointed A to B linearity bothers them. From what I gather just reading reviews, this game is decent and plays just fine if you have no history with the series or didn't particularly enjoy previous games in the series. As a result of the changes they made to the costume system and the new instinct mechanic, it is a different sort of stealth than Hitman was originally built on. Whether or not that's a bad thing depends on your perspective. So in that sense it doesn't surprise me that this is a polarizing title. There's nothing strictly wrong with it save that it is different in ways that may piss off long time Hitman fans.

Speaking for myself, the parts that I loved about the old games have largely been marginalized or removed. I hate the change to costume effectiveness. I don't appreciate the decision to confine 47 to a smaller geographical area. The globetrotting locale variety was a huge part of why I love these games.

#167 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

The PC version got absolutely slammed on PCGamer, if this is news to anyone.

66%

#168 Posted by kishinfoulux (2361 posts) -

@JerichoBlyth said:

66%

Didn't they say it ran like shit or something? Yeah that's not the case.

#169 Posted by Karkarov (3136 posts) -

@kishinfoulux said:

@JerichoBlyth said:

66%

Well since I have the game and have played it on PC through steam I can assure you.... It runs great (assuming you have a decent pc) and basically 90% of what the reviewer for pc gamer said was uh.... bullshit. Yes the levels are smaller, but there are far more of them and they never feel empty. Every single room has a purpose, every level has multiple ways to navigate it. Yes if you play on easy or normal the game isn't that hard, go fig you have to play on hard or higher for the game to be hard. No variety or options in playstyle? He must have been on crack cocaine. There is an insane number of ways to navigate each level. I have found 3 different ways inside the Terminus Hotel (not counting the front door) and I can't shake the feeling that I am still missing one.

Yes the story is a little hokey, yes sometimes your assassinations fail in a cut scene. Tough. Last time I checked most people didn't play Hitman for the grand sweeping epic it told.

#170 Posted by gaminghooligan (1448 posts) -

@Karkarov said:

@kishinfoulux said:

@JerichoBlyth said:

66%

Well since I have the game and have played it on PC through steam I can assure you.... It runs great (assuming you have a decent pc) and basically 90% of what the reviewer for pc gamer said was uh.... bullshit. Yes the levels are smaller, but there are far more of them and they never feel empty. Every single room has a purpose, every level has multiple ways to navigate it. Yes if you play on easy or normal the game isn't that hard, go fig you have to play on hard or higher for the game to be hard. No variety or options in playstyle? He must have been on crack cocaine. There is an insane number of ways to navigate each level. I have found 3 different ways inside the Terminus Hotel (not counting the front door) and I can't shake the feeling that I am still missing one.

Yes the story is a little hokey, yes sometimes your assassinations fail in a cut scene. Tough. Last time I checked most people didn't play Hitman for the grand sweeping epic it told.

Have to agree. The game is running wonderfully for me on a medium grade rig (sigh, this game has pretty much made up my decision that it's time to upgrade some stuff -_-) it looks amazing even on lower settings, the game-play is amazingly smooth. Only a few issues, the guys seeing through doors and the distance for discovery, both of which they have already said will get a patch asap. I haven't even touched contracts and I already feel like this may be the best hitman game yet (and I still love the shit out of Bloodmoney). Don't let the negative reviews fool you, I almost didn't pick this game up because of them and would have really regretted it. Thank god for Giant Bomb quick looks and also getting a coupon code for half off on GMG thanks to a duder on the forums. I love PC gamer normally, but that review is just wrong, I mean I even listen to their podcast and read everything TJ Hafer writes.

@Karkarov: THREE WAYS IN! I found two including the front door! Man that just made me want to stop my progression and go hunting lol :)

#171 Posted by glyn (382 posts) -

@Karkarov said:

@kishinfoulux said:

@JerichoBlyth said:

66%

That was the only thing it was missing....

#172 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

@glyn said:

@Karkarov said:

@kishinfoulux said:

@JerichoBlyth said:

66%

That was the only thing it was missing....

I'm sorry but...what!?

First of all - The Hitman games had DECENT stories and most of them were self-contained for particular missions, to keep the games varied and interesting with a host of different scenarios for the player to indulge himself in.

A Hitman game should never be 'EPIC'. That would completely nullify its appeal as a STEALTH game. Sheesh.

Secondly, PCGamer have updated the game via a launch patch and have amended their score to reflect such changes. But rising from a 40-odd% percent average to a stonking 66% isn't exactly a massive improvement. Most of what the guy wrote still stands as justified criticism.

I have been playing these games since the second game in the series (and have since then checked out the first game as well) and this 'game' is a ghastly shadow of it former self. It's a bunch of streamlined, badly designed, rushed out nonsense.

#173 Posted by BaconBuTTy (173 posts) -

This is a cross post from a different thread, but these are my feelings on it so far...

(just got to "Hope")

I’m not really sure how I feel yet.

I’m enjoying it as a game. It looks great, it sounds great. It feels good to play.

But as a Hitman game, I’m not so sure.

It has definitely been a long ass time since Blood Money came out, and I feel like all of the story sections in this game, are IO trying to play “Catch up” with the rest of the industry – “This needs to be a Hollywood blockbuster of a game” – And I do not feel like they succeeded. Where it falls shortest for me is the characterization.

“Birdie” is the worst example. Who the fuck is this? A guy, who seems young, has perfect hair, very well dressed, is fairly well spoken, smart ….. but hangs out in a trailer full of birds and lets them shit all over his clothes?And he just hangs out as normal, like he isn’t covered in bird shit? That is just kind of weird. .. it doesn’t ring true for me. And it smacks of a hamfisted attempt to come up with an “original, interesting character”. It just comes off as super weird.

Also, whenever that developmentally challenged gentleman is on screen, I instantly feel uncomfortable. Lenny is clearly disabled, and yet playing the role of a gangster? Is this supposed to be funny?Am I suppose to laugh at this…… ?

I’m playing this with my girlfriend sat next to me and …. I find it difficult to defend gaming’s legitimacy when Lenny limping about and being all disabled and saying he wants to be in charge and …..

… ehhhhhh. .. ugh.

#174 Posted by Karkarov (3136 posts) -

@JerichoBlyth said:

I have been playing these games since the second game in the series (and have since then checked out the first game as well) and this 'game' is a ghastly shadow of it former self. It's a bunch of streamlined, badly designed, rushed out nonsense.

Opinions, everyone has em. I don't judge games based on how the game played in it's previous iteration. I judge them based on how they play today, and this game plays fine. The area's are small, and enemies on hard are wayyyyyyyy too on the ball with disguises. It is to the point where in many missions some disguises are literally no better or possibly worse than the plain suit. Other than that I really don't have a complaint. Many complaints the PC Gamer review makes are legit to an extent, but his review reads like a fanboi nerd rage, not a professional look at what a game does right and a game does wrong based on it's own merits. In the end his major complaint is "this isn't blood money" and not being blood money doesn't mean it is a bad game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.