Hitman: Absolution No Longer a Rumor

• 145 results
Posted by patrickklepek (3062 posts) -
I ain't 'fraid of no snakes. Wait, yes I am.

It's been a surprisingly long time since IO Interactive revisited its beloved Hitman franchise, which the studio last touched with Hitman: Blood Money in 2006. Rumors of another Hitman are no longer rumors, however, with IO Interactive and Square Enix confirming Hitman: Absolution is coming.

The announcement release says Hitman: Absolution's up-and-running on IO Interactive's new Glacier 2 engine tech and will be both "familiar and yet significantly different from other Hitman games."

What little else we know involves some story bits, with Agent 47 at the center of a "dark conspiracy" and the path to, er, absolution requires a "personal journey through a corrupt and twisted world."

In other words, we don't know very much at all.

I haven't played Hitman but friends rave about it. I'm looking forward to seeing what the fuss is about.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3062 posts) -
I ain't 'fraid of no snakes. Wait, yes I am.

It's been a surprisingly long time since IO Interactive revisited its beloved Hitman franchise, which the studio last touched with Hitman: Blood Money in 2006. Rumors of another Hitman are no longer rumors, however, with IO Interactive and Square Enix confirming Hitman: Absolution is coming.

The announcement release says Hitman: Absolution's up-and-running on IO Interactive's new Glacier 2 engine tech and will be both "familiar and yet significantly different from other Hitman games."

What little else we know involves some story bits, with Agent 47 at the center of a "dark conspiracy" and the path to, er, absolution requires a "personal journey through a corrupt and twisted world."

In other words, we don't know very much at all.

I haven't played Hitman but friends rave about it. I'm looking forward to seeing what the fuss is about.

Staff
#2 Edited by Magickeys (37 posts) -

Cool.

Edit: Finally I got this quest though. ;)

#3 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

can't wait and it's about time they announced it.

#4 Posted by AndrewB (7189 posts) -

Day 1.

#5 Posted by Vestigial_Man (308 posts) -

Awesome

#6 Edited by blacklab (1475 posts) -

comment!

EDIT-fuck
#7 Posted by Maxery (39 posts) -

BOO! HITMAN!!

#8 Posted by Sin4profit (2867 posts) -
#9 Posted by WoodenPlatypus (1365 posts) -
@Maxery: 
How dare you :O
#10 Posted by LOZZAT (252 posts) -

Gotta love some more Hitman, Blood Money was great! Can't wait to see the engine improvements they've made too.

#11 Posted by Cheesebob (1211 posts) -

If it involves killing which is even better than Blood Money, then its GOTY whenever it comes out

#12 Posted by Landon (4115 posts) -

Cool stuff. Bout time they made another one of these.

#13 Posted by 02sfraser (847 posts) -

I didn't play any of the games before 'Blood Money' but I loved that so this news is exciting! Looking forward to seeing how it looks.

#14 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3321 posts) -

E3 sure is lining up for some awesome stuff. Can't wait.

#15 Posted by VWGTI (1919 posts) -

I hope they stick with what made the original games so fun and original. If they dumb it down too much for the masses I'm afraid I'll be passing on this.

#16 Posted by PKHilson (205 posts) -

HITMAN!

Nothing better than killing every single person at a fancy ball and stuff.
#17 Posted by Chop (1962 posts) -

Finally. 

The Hitman franchise is fucking fantastic and it's been frustrating to watch IO fumble around with garbage while that baby stays on the back burner. 
#18 Posted by EliminatoR (236 posts) -

Finally.

#19 Posted by Winternet (7936 posts) -

Hitman is still one of the franchises I hold closer to my heart.

#20 Posted by dvorak (1495 posts) -

FUCK YES! On board!

#21 Posted by Simulacrum (462 posts) -

Hell yes!

#22 Posted by NoCookiesForYou (737 posts) -

The long, long wait is over! Thank You!

#23 Posted by Mikular (156 posts) -

Hell yes. That description could be the same for every other Hitman game, but I'm pumped nonetheless. Bring back the Silverballers, and I'm happy.

#24 Edited by Chuck_ (173 posts) -

No teaser trailer embedded?   YouTube

#25 Posted by sublime90 (524 posts) -

i wish it was kane and lynch 3 instead

#26 Posted by BonOrbitz (2089 posts) -

Great! Haven't played as Agent  47 in a few years and I need something new to wash away my memories of that movie.

#27 Posted by eulogize_my_baked_goods (130 posts) -

Man, the last Hitman game was great. It really delivered on the promise of the early games (which in themselves were all shirt, no pants). I could really go for some more 47 about now.

#28 Posted by JacDG (2112 posts) -

Danish developers, oh yeah! 

#29 Edited by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

Just want to say, so glad Patrick came on. Even though this is a pretty standard story, for some reason seeing it triggered something and I now realize that I really don't need to go to any other gaming website to stay current. Love GB so much!

Here's to hoping IO can get back to making good games.

#30 Posted by crusader8463 (14305 posts) -

I'm up for some Hitman myself. Here's hoping they find a way for it to not be so trial and errory.

#31 Posted by Ksaw (341 posts) -

finally! fuck yeah!

#32 Posted by EpicBenjamin (622 posts) -

FUCK YEAH!

#33 Posted by drag (1223 posts) -
@crusader8463 said:
" I'm up for some Hitman myself. Here's hoping they find a way for it to not be so trial and errory. "
i'm definitely up for some, but i quite like that aspect of it ... go in guns blazing just to get a feel for the level and what you can do in it, then a proper go through for silent assassin. not exactly elegant i suppose but you can get the fun of chaos and then the satisfaction of a job well done. 
#34 Posted by biospank (641 posts) -

dunno but after KnL2 I dont expect much as long there is no multiplaya I'm good

#35 Posted by onarum (1945 posts) -

Please god don't let this be dumbed down like every other franchise recently, please god, I beg you.

Seriously, if they turn this into a effin third person cover based shooter I'll cry, for days.

#36 Posted by CRACKYSTUNTYE (38 posts) -

I don't know the seies always skips one in terms of being good ( one and three were meh while two and four were pretty great). But the studio has hade a long time to sit and think so I have faith in it.
#37 Posted by ProfessorEss (7123 posts) -

I'll be very excited to see how this turns out.

Blood Money was tits.

#38 Posted by MrAristocrates (194 posts) -

I. Love. Hitman.

#39 Posted by Ksaw (341 posts) -

Suggestion for the first two contracts : Kane and Lynch.

#40 Posted by floodiastus (1262 posts) -
@Ksaw said:
" Suggestion for the first two contracts : Kane and Lynch. "
huhuhu count me in :)
#41 Posted by Cybexx (1099 posts) -

All right, more killing people and dressing in their clothes!

#42 Posted by kalmis (1557 posts) -
@bonorbitz said:
" Great! Haven't played as Agent  47 in a few years and I need something new to wash away my memories of that movie. "
That movie wasn't so bad. 
#43 Posted by Taklulas (401 posts) -
@WoodenPlatypus said:
" @Maxery: How dare you :O "
Kill the non believer! KILL!
#44 Edited by Chris2KLee (2308 posts) -

Never been a fan of the series, but I'm interested to see what they do to bring back this franchise. The concept was always compelling to me, but none of the games ever clicked with me.

#45 Posted by WoodenPlatypus (1365 posts) -

@Taklulas: 
I was just going to leave it at a shocked face but its your call.

Death it is.

#46 Posted by HatKing (5557 posts) -

Awesome.  I miss those games - nothing we have now really scratches that itch.  I hope the new engine kicks ass and I can't wait to see the game.
#47 Posted by Koobz (364 posts) -

I'm going to hope "significantly different" means "less trial-and-error/instant failure bullshit."

#48 Posted by Shadowjester (91 posts) -

Wow about time.   I am surprised its been 5 years since the last game.  I hope they remember how to make a hitman game :).  

#49 Posted by craigbo180 (1739 posts) -

Don't change a thing. Hitman is based.

#50 Posted by zungerman090 (311 posts) -

Are the graphics in Blood Money any good? I am considering getting it, but not so sure. Also, will I enjoy Absolution despite not knowing anything about the story?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.