Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hitman: Absolution

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 20, 2012

Agent 47 returns after a six-year hiatus to embark on a mission of redemption for the only person he could ever trust.

Man, I have a bad feeling about this...

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pyrodactyl

This is the first concept art for the next hitman game (we need a game page for this by the way) developped by square enix montreal. I can smell the rotten stench of splinter cell: conviction just about to completly annihilate an entire genre of games I used to love... One piece of concept art is not indicative of an entire game but if that's the direction of the series, they just put the final nail in the coffin for the stealth game genre.

No Caption Provided

I got this from gamespot if you were wondering.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Sackmanjones

How dare they try something new.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Yup, it's just concept art, take it easy dude. Can't say I'm thrilled with the direction Hitman has went, but it's more about execution than the concept. There's a lot of potential, if they work on making the innovations better. Also are they already working on a sequel? The game's been released for how long, a week?

Willza92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Willza92

Well guys, I guess video games are dead. I'll see you around. 

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Dixavd

I love how concept art have spot lights in them. One day I hope a game akin to Okami comes out but in the style of the typical concept art.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Meltac

That picture is fucking rad!

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Vinny_Says

Oh no they made the fifth game in a series different. Now I'll go and kill myself, life isn't worth living!

(I'm referring to Splinter Cell by the way. Conviction was awesome, along with SC, SC Pandora Tomorrow, and Chaos Theory)

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pyrodactyl

@Sackmanjones said:

Yes if that ``something different`` is Shoot Guys in the Face 26: the videogame™. It's that philosophie that got us the incredibly blend and uninteresting SC: conviction. The game about pressing a single button to headshot everyone.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mnzy

The best thing would be to get all riled up about one piece of concept art. Definitely.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By huntad

Absolution and Conviction are fine. Stealth games need to adapt and gain a larger audience. If just me and you buy the next 'true' splinter cell and hitman games, because they are targeted towards us, that's what'll kill the stealth genre.

EDIT: Even the names sound similar in tone, haha. Just noticed that.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Vinny_Says

@pyrodactyl said:

@Sackmanjones said:

Yes if that ``something different`` is Shoot Guys in the Face 26: the videogame™. It's that philosophie that got us the incredibly blend and uninteresting SC: conviction. The game about pressing a single button to headshot everyone.

uhg....I'm sure you either haven't played Conviction or haven't tried playing the game in a stealthy way, and now you're here complaining about it. I can just as easily turn any splinter cell or hitman game into a giant murderfest of shotguns to the chest and bullets in the brain, and sit there complaining about how it's not a good stealth game.

Chill the fuck out, it's one piece of concept art.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By pyrodactyl

You guys really don't give a fuck if they turn the last surviving stealth game franchise into yet another streak of games where the goal is to shoot all the guys in the face?

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By huntad

@pyrodactyl: Not really. I'm not a game developer, but I'm sure they'll find some way to make it fun. I don't take a piece of concept art to mean that the Hitman series is forever changed.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pyrodactyl

@Vinny_Says said:

@pyrodactyl said:

@Sackmanjones said:

uhg....I'm sure you either haven't played Conviction or haven't tried playing the game in a stealthy way, and now you're here complaining about it. I can just as easily turn any splinter cell or hitman game into a giant murderfest of shotguns to the chest and bullets in the brain, and sit there complaining about how it's not a good stealth game.

played conviction all the way trough, had a terrible time. The whole design of the game is centered around you, getting a stealth kill and pressing Y to kill everyone. No more stalking the shadows unoticed or outsmarting the guards using the powerfull tools the game has given you. You just find a guy, snap his neck and press Y.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By onarum

@Sackmanjones said:

You mean new like all the other action fest, linear, scripted sequence, quick time event BS we get nowadays? yeah because that would be totally new and innovative...

On another note I do believe it's too early to say that, there's not much to be taken by that concept art, even though everything seems to be pointing in that direction... unfortunately...

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Vinny_Says

@pyrodactyl said:

@Vinny_Says said:

@pyrodactyl said:

@Sackmanjones said:

played conviction all the way trough, had a terrible time. The whole design of the game is centered around you, getting a stealth kill and pressing Y to kill everyone. No more stalking the shadows unoticed or outsmarting the guards using the powerfull tools the game as given you. You just find a guy, snap his neck and press Y.

good job only reading the first sentence of my reply.

Egg0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Egg0

@pyrodactyl said:

You guys really don't give a fuck if they turn the last surviving stealth game franchise into yet another streak of games where the goal is to shoot all the guys in the face?

If they make it fun. Why not?

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By triple07

Looks neat to me but I hate stealth games except for games like conviction so maybe you're right.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Zella

@Egg0 said:

@pyrodactyl said:

If they make it fun. Why not?

Exactly, why complain if the game turns out to be fun. It's a videoGAME it's meant to be fun, why get all upset about a game? Besides there are still plenty of stealth games out there: Dishonored can be played completely stealthily, Mark of the Ninja requires precise stealth, Hitman Absolution can be played stealthily too. As said any Hitman or Splinter Cell game could be played with brute force, in fact they should be able to be played like that(mainly in Hitman's case) because while the game is built to be a stealth game at heart you are playing as a hitman set on murdering his target so murdering an entire area full of people, while difficult, is a viable option to complete your objective.

Bottom line, dude it's just a game no need to get bent out of shape over it changing into something you might not like.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By musubi
    @pyrodactyl

@Vinny_Says said:

@pyrodactyl said:

@Sackmanjones said:

played conviction all the way trough, had a terrible time. The whole design of the game is centered around you, getting a stealth kill and pressing Y to kill everyone. No more stalking the shadows unoticed or outsmarting the guards using the powerfull tools the game has given you. You just find a guy, snap his neck and press Y.

I actually went through conviction never being seen and with minimal killing. Its possible. There are only a specific few sections where you HAVE to kill. This makes the game way harder than it was intended to be but its doable.
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @onarum

@Sackmanjones said:

You mean new like all the other action fest, linear, scripted sequence, quick time event BS we get nowadays? yeah because that would be totally new and innovative...

On another note I do believe it's too early to say that, there's not much to be taken by that concept art, even though everything seems to be pointing in that direction... unfortunately...

Sounds like you haven't played the new Hitman game which uses all those concepts.

I'm simply saying people always jump to the conclusion that change is BAD. All we can say from this concept art is they are trying new things. I love Blood Money just like the next guy but I want to see what they can do. The picture seems to be in the future and that could be cool. And like everyone else including you have said, it's a single piece of art. There is very little you can acquire from this. I'm willing to bet there is concept art of Agent 47 murdering fools with his guns in the open.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By MikkaQ

The dude has hair so obviously it's someone you kill and not something you do. That's how I interpret that anyway.

Unless 47 got smart and decided to add wigs to his disguise repertoire. It is a little weird to have bad guys running around yelling "WE'RE GONNA GET YOU, CUE-BALL!" while running past the only bald man in the building and nodding good day to him.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Ghostiet

@Sackmanjones said:

Why can't they try something new under a new name? This is fucking puzzling to me. What's the point? Why not simply advertise it as "FROM THE CREATORS OF HITMAN"? That's enough of a recommendation. Completely changing the philosophy of a game with established rules and cred is simply stupid - it's not like the old fans will be on boards and it's not like potential fans will give a fuck about the name.

I'm not drawing conclusions from that artwork yet, I just don't find that argument very compelling. There's defamiliarization and there's slapping an old name on something different.

@Zella said:

any Hitman or Splinter Cell game could be played with brute force

Technically not really - several Splinter Cell missions required you to be stealthy and ended with an automatic fail if you got caught.

baconbutty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By baconbutty

It's way too early to judge this.

When the first information about Absolution came out people freaked then too, but that turned out just fine and everyone loves th- wait.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By rollingzeppelin

Jesus Christ people, it's a fucking piece of concept art and you're already arguing over completely hypothetical BS. Why don't you wait for some actual info on the game before you start having a go at each other?

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By pyrodactyl

@Vinny_Says said:

@pyrodactyl said:

@Vinny_Says said:

@pyrodactyl said:

@Sackmanjones said:

played conviction all the way trough, had a terrible time. The whole design of the game is centered around you, getting a stealth kill and pressing Y to kill everyone. No more stalking the shadows unoticed or outsmarting the guards using the powerfull tools the game as given you. You just find a guy, snap his neck and press Y.

good job only reading the first sentence of my reply.

You did a fine job to. Let me restate my point: the whole design of the game is centered around you, getting a stealth kill and pressing Y to kill everyone. You can argue all day that ``I could've played it like the old games`` but when NOTHING in the design of the game is in support of this approache and all the tools they give you are to better and more easily shoot guys in the face, stealth becomes the tedious option.

As for the chill the fuck out part, we'll see in a year but a dude shooting another dude is what I get from this concept art and also the description for about a 100 games I already own. You know how many games I own that are about disguises and assassination? 3 or 4.

baconbutty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By baconbutty

Hitman 6: Drop kick face shooting confirmed.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Ghostiet As of right now we don't know if it's even agent 47 we will be playing as. This could be WAYY in the future with the same company ties. It could be a different company hunting down agent 47 and the agency he works for. Until we know story details sure you could say why not make a new IP. But it's possible they want this to stay in the same world and story as the original Hitman games (no matter how thin the story). It maybe this team is rebooting the series and then it's the effect of devil may cry. New concepts and ideas implemented with older ones.

But like everyone has said, it's one picture. I'm drawing conclusions from a concept art that could be trashed in the next week.
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By TheHT

That's an awesome piece of artwork.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By pyrodactyl

@Sackmanjones said:

@onarum

@Sackmanjones said:

Sounds like you haven't played the new Hitman game which uses all those concepts. I'm simply saying people always jump to the conclusion that change is BAD. All we can say from this concept art is they are trying new things. I love Blood Money just like the next guy but I want to see what they can do. The picture seems to be in the future and that could be cool. And like everyone else including you have said, it's a single piece of art. There is very little you can acquire from this. I'm willing to bet there is concept art of Agent 47 murdering fools with his guns in the open.

Remember how the parts that implemented those concept were not good? No, not ``it's not hitman`` bad, just plain old bad. Stealth mechanics from 2002 when the only way to get pass guards was to learn paterns by heart and internalise vision cones, mediocre third person shooting, etc. I wich they would understand what made blood money so great, go back to that and improve it. Not just say ``fuck it let's make Hitman 6: Drop kick face shooting™``

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By pyrodactyl

@BaconBuTTy said:

Hitman 6: Drop kick face shooting confirmed.

Voilà, the new game page name, someone get on it!

PrimalHorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By PrimalHorse

Yes, Tenchu come back plan is working!

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@Sackmanjones said:

Because new is always good, nay, better, and fitting and suitable to a given franchise? Yeah...

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Sackmanjones said:

Because new is always good, nay, better, and fitting and suitable to a given franchise? Yeah...

Because old doesn't get stale and boring and franchises should never evolve. Nobody fucking knows what this picture means. Also here's some concept art for Blood Money.

No Caption Provided
    Arebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Arebuckle

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Sackmanjones said:

Because old doesn't get stale and boring and franchises should never evolve. Nobody fucking knows what this picture means. Also here's some concept art for Blood Money.

No Caption Provided

Uh, that's Absolution.

Maybe you were making a joke or something that flew straight over my head. I have no idea.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @GentlemanlyGentleman: I'm pretty sure he meant Absolution.
    studnoth1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By studnoth1n

i'd prefer them to get rid of whatever story they might be working on, and just focus on the level design. going back to having these independent, self-contained, levels, which are open to explore and play and plan however you want, opposed to having a dominant, "direction," informed by the narrative. the prominent feature in any stealth game, essentially what makes it a stealth game, is being able anticipate and plan ahead,which is very difficult to do when the design is informed by the narrative.

i in fact, i would prefer most developers do away with this ambition to tell stories entirely. they're usually shit anyway, the best being the tallest midget, and what little purpose they do serve offers little more than a pattern of events, which inevitably gets in the way of making decisions which focus squarely on gameplay. portal being a great example in how to use story in the most minimal way without it disrupting gameplay, and the excuse to play around with various mechanics.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#38  Edited By MildMolasses

You mean to to tell me that they are making a game about a hitman, and he is shooting people? In the face? What in the name of fuck?!!?!?!?

Seeing as how earlier this year I managed to finish a game developed by Eidos Montreal without killing anyone other than the bosses and without triggering a single alarm, I think they can build a stealth game.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By pyrodactyl

@MildMolasses said:

You mean to to tell me that they are making a game about a hitman, and he is shooting people? In the face? What in the name of fuck?!!?!?!?

Seeing as how earlier this year I managed to finish a game developed by Eidos Montreal without killing anyone other than the bosses and without triggering a single alarm, I think they can build a stealth game.

Pretty sure that's a different studio(eidos vs square enix, both owned by the same company but different people working in those studios). They're suppose to be working on thi4f at the moment.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#40  Edited By MildMolasses

@pyrodactyl: Oops, I thought they had just renamed the Eidos studio.

Well then, when people start bitching about Thi4f I can reuse this post

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@GentlemanlyGentleman said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Sackmanjones said:

No Caption Provided

Uh, that's Absolution.

Maybe you were making a joke or something that flew straight over my head. I have no idea.

One of the two. I get the names confused.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ShaggE

Yes, concept art at least a year ahead of the actual product is always indicative of what to expect.

Seriously, people, there's gotta be SOMETHING else to rage about right now. How about the Wii U, or some review score somewhere. There's new Mass Effect 3 story DLC out, that should keep everyone occupied with trashing Bioware for at least a week. I hear Patrick still exists, too, which should raise some ire.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.