Mod for disguise system

#1 Edited by YOU_DIED (702 posts) -

NOTE: I did not create this mod, so I can't offer much support. I can only tell you what worked for me.

This changes the disguise system so that it is closer to the one in Hitman 2, Contracts, and Blood Money. You can find it here. Download it, unzip it anywhere onto your hard drive, then open up the the 'script.var' file in a text editor and fool around with the values. I found the following to be pretty balanced:

AI_InstinctRevealTime=50.0

ai_DisguiseDetectionDistanceMultiplier=0.28

You probably want to keep the second value somewhere between 0.25 and 0.50. This changes the detection system so that you will only be detected in a disguise if you stand pretty close (3-5 ft. or so) to someone in identical clothes, as opposed to how it is by default where you can be spotted from 50 feet away and further. I have only tested this on Purist, so I don't know how it affects detection in the other modes.

Once you have the values set to your liking, save the file, then run the executable called 'Configurable_Injector'. It should pop up a small window. After you see that, start Absolution. Once the launcher appears, the Injector window should disappear. Go ahead and start the game and load up a level. After you are in game, press the F9 key, and you should hear a very faint ding/beep. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you might need to hit F9 again after reloading a level or starting a new one. You will need to run the Injector program every time before starting Absolution (as long as you want to keep using it).

If you open the README file you can see a list of the hotkeys for the mod, I haven't used any of them (except for F9) so I can't speak to how they work. I do NOT recommend cheating for the sake of getting on the leaderboards, the only reason I'm reposting this is because it has made the game significantly more enjoyable for me, and hopefully will for you too.

EDIT (12/5/12): Link updated to newer version of trainer

#2 Posted by Legend (2646 posts) -

Thanks for the info. I might use this when I play on higher difficulties if the developer doesn't patch the game.

#3 Posted by Matt (954 posts) -

Oh wow, I'm gonna have to check this out. Thanks duder!

#4 Posted by SharkEthic (1003 posts) -

The detection system i God awful as is, so this could only make the game more enjoyable for me as well. Thanks for posting!

#5 Posted by leebmx (2198 posts) -

I'd been interested to see how this works. Surely it would mean just being able to walk through the whole game unchallenged unless you are really clumsy?

#6 Posted by BaconBuTTy (170 posts) -

Thanks for posting this, for people who are interested.

But for me, this seems like *way* more trouble than it is worth.

I'll wait for IO's interpretation of "Tweaking" the disguise system

#7 Edited by pandorasbox (302 posts) -

I hate the current disguise system, but this mod is fundamentally broken. It will make the game far too easy (as the game is designed around the new flawed system), and using it on "contracts mode" is cheating and can probably get you VAC banned, if it even works with the contracts mode. And assuming that VAC is even active with hitman absolution, as it's not a valve game.

#8 Posted by YOU_DIED (702 posts) -

@BaconBuTTy said:

Thanks for posting this, for people who are interested. But for me, this seems like *way* more trouble than it is worth. I'll wait for IO's interpretation of "Tweaking" the disguise system

I disagree regarding too much trouble, my instructions may make it seem complicated but I assure you it is trivial to do.

@pandorasbox said:

I hate the current disguise system, but this mod is fundamentally broken. It will make the game far too easy (as the game is designed around the new flawed system), and using it on "contracts mode" is cheating and can probably get you VAC banned, if it even works with the contracts mode. And assuming that VAC is even active with hitman absolution, as it's not a valve game.

I thought this as well until I started playing the game with the mod active. The game is WAY more fun for me now. Like I mentioned in my original post, I am NOT condoning using it to get on the leaderboards, that would be a shitty thing to do.

#9 Posted by justjim89 (5 posts) -

I played the last 4 missions or so with this mod. It definitely doesn't break the game. All it does is balance the detection system. People with matching disguises will no longer spot you halfway across a giant room. It makes it so you don't have to spam instinct anytime you want to blend in. You'll still get detected if you do suspicious things, and you still can't get right in a guard's face or he will notice you and your cover will be blown. It makes it play more like a Hitman game. Disguises actually work now. I highly suggest anyone with the PC version giving it a shot.

#10 Posted by Demoskinos (14520 posts) -

I guess everyone is entitled to play as they see fit but I don't see an issue with the disguise system. Its actually realistic and the old system was basically a win button in some instances. Blood Money was horribly horribly forgiving with the costumes. Personally, I'm finding it much more fun to do "Suit Only" anyways. Much more of a straight up stealth challenge and a fucking TOUGH one at that.

#11 Posted by VindictivePotato (10 posts) -

Its a great mod for those who want a more balanced costume disguise system.

Thanks for posting.

#12 Posted by YOU_DIED (702 posts) -

@justjim89 said:

I played the last 4 missions or so with this mod. It definitely doesn't break the game. All it does is balance the detection system. People with matching disguises will no longer spot you halfway across a giant room. It makes it so you don't have to spam instinct anytime you want to blend in. You'll still get detected if you do suspicious things, and you still can't get right in a guard's face or he will notice you and your cover will be blown. It makes it play more like a Hitman game. Disguises actually work now. I highly suggest anyone with the PC version giving it a shot.

Exactly, I probably would have stopped playing by now without it. Makes the game way more fun.

@VindictivePotato said:

Its a great mod for those who want a more balanced costume disguise system.

Thanks for posting.

Cheers!

#13 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1377 posts) -

I'm pretty sure 47's suits cost an ass-load of bucks, so there should be no reason to just toss those fine threads away.

#14 Posted by invadernick (260 posts) -

Just so you guys know you need a new version of the trainer found here http://www.unknowncheats.me/downloads/downloads.php?do=file&id=8143 old one doesn't work anymore.

#15 Posted by Intro (1205 posts) -

Gonna try this out. This game is one of my favorites, but playing on hard or up makes it a complete pile of trash to me. I found no fun getting spotted from 20 feet away because I moved around a corner for 2 seconds. There's no point in even using disguises half the time. Especially when there are levels where no one is suspicious of the bald tattooed man in a suit walking around a hostile area, but that cop ten football fields worth of length away needs to be checked out. If you can't be stealthy then it's no fun, I'll just go play CoD if I'm looking for a constant shoot outs lol.

#16 Posted by Mixwizzard (83 posts) -

It's always alittle sad when an unpaid mod team/modder can do things better than an actual Developer with a salary.

#17 Posted by YOU_DIED (702 posts) -

@invadernick said:

Just so you guys know you need a new version of the trainer found here http://www.unknowncheats.me/downloads/downloads.php?do=file&id=8143 old one doesn't work anymore.

Thanks, just updated the link to it in the original post.

#18 Posted by Jackel2072 (2235 posts) -

@YOU_DIED: where is this 'script.var' you speak of? in the hitman folder or the injector folder?

#20 Posted by johnwayneomg01 (1 posts) -

@you_died: i downloaded the trainer but i only have these keys:

F1=god

F2=invisible

F3=inf_ammo

F4=one_shot_kill

F5=perfect_weapon

F6=max_contract

F7=stupid_ai

F8=god_ai

there are no F9

#21 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

Wow, it's really only two variables? Thought it'd at least be a bit more complicated than that. Damn, so much pain, anguish, and bitching on forums because IO interactive couldn't tweak a few numbers.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.