Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hitman: Absolution

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 20, 2012

Agent 47 returns after a six-year hiatus to embark on a mission of redemption for the only person he could ever trust.

New Agent 47 voice actor; gone is the distinctive voice

squirrelnacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By squirrelnacho
    Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Cloudenvy

I don't really mind, but maybe it's just little me who's not very attached to that voiceactor.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Coafi

I don't really have a problem with the new voice, of course it sounds real generic. But, how much does Agent 47 talk in the game anyway?

EpicBenjamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 46

#4  Edited By EpicBenjamin  Online

It's a shame that David isn't returning as the voice of 47, but I think this new guy sounds just fine.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By breadfan

Why? Why? Why? Why?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Luckily this isn't Max Payne, but this probably suck for those who love Hitman. Always sucks to see an iconic thing about a long-running franchise go. 

His voice is OK, but not nearly as emotionless and cold as the original voice actor.

squirrelnacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By squirrelnacho

@Cloudenvy said:

I don't really mind, but maybe it's just little me who's not very attached to that voiceactor.

It's more about how the voice fits the character.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Cloudenvy

@squirrelnacho said:

@Cloudenvy said:

It's more about how the voice fits the character.

I don't think there's anything particularly unfitting about it, it just sounds like a generic tough guy voice to me.

Well, what do I know, I never paid any attention to anything in Hitman except the gameplay.

squirrelnacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By squirrelnacho

@Cloudenvy said:

I don't think there's anything particularly unfitting about it, it just sounds like a generic tough guy voice to me.

Well, what do I know, I never paid any attention to anything in Hitman except the gameplay.

That's really what I was getting at. It sounds way more generic, whereas the original voice actor had a very unique voice. However, I do feel the new voice actor sounds sort of young/more emotional which doesn't fit as well.

Seroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By Seroth

Considering that they originally modeled the character after David Bateson, the original voice actor, it's pretty weird. I know if I were a fan of the Hitman games, I would be very upset.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Chop

I wonder why they even switched. I mean, 47 is modeled after the original voice actor and he seemed pretty enthused to continue with the role.

Curious.

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By flindip

Doesn't really matter to me, but the voice should have at least a slight European tinge to it. I mean 47 is European and all(if we care about the established lore from the previous games).

As far as it sounding generic, yeah I don't really care. I mean the dude is a clone and all.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Binman88

Huh. The guy isn't bad but he sounds too, I dunno, human. There was something about the way old 47's voice that made him seem more detached and cold, which fitted the character. He was essentially a man-made killing machine born in an insane asylum after all.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

As a long time fan of the series. I could not care less. He's voice was never special in any way.

I do feel its disrespectful to make the original actor audition. As if you didn't already know what he brought to the table. Fuck you.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By AndrewB

It sounds like they could have done worse, but yeah, I really think the voice makes the character and I miss him already.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By damswedon

I completely forgot that he even had a voice.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By musubi

Eh, Its not too bad I didn't find him nearly as iconic as Ironside in Splinter Cell. New Splinter Cell looks great but man... getting over the new voice is going to be a bit of a hurdle.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Fearbeard

@damswedon said:

I completely forgot that he even had a voice.

This... I played tons of Hitman 2 and 1000/1000'd Hitman: Blood Money but Hitman's voice never really stood out to me at all. I always just sort of remember him as a blank slate with his appearance being the only thing that stands out.

squirrelnacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By squirrelnacho

@Fearbeard said:

his appearance being the only thing that stands out.

Well his appearance is based on the likeness of the voice actor. There was actually a fair bit of voice acting, though I could see it being hard to remember from 6 years ago. I think though that since there will be even more voice acting in this game, they should have kept the original instead of a generic voice that doesn't make the character seem as cool.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I don't mind when voice actors change, but that clip of the new voice was not good at all. Hopefully I'll end up liking it as a whole anyways. It just feels like they wanted someone asking for less money. God I hope that's the case. If they're paying him more, then they fucked up.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Oldirtybearon

David Bateson rocked the role, no doubt. I am sad to see him not returning, but there is a note of annoyance/anger in the new 47's voice that makes me think 47 has finally had enough of everyone's bullshit and is going to fuck shit up. That's really been my only problem with 47. He gets angry once in the first four games (those who played Blood Money probably know what I'm talking about), and 47's always felt more like a robot than a person.

I mean sure he's a clone, but I've always more or less ignored that aspect of the character. It always felt corny and stupid. I much prefer to think of 47 as a person. Born, raised, and trained to do what he does oh so well.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By cornbredx

I was never into Hitman for the voice acting. I mean, ya it sucks (especially since he auditioned and they turned him down- that seems kinda crazy) but I don't think most people play Hitman for the acting.

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MikeFightNight

This news greatly saddens me. Not liking the new voice from what you posted. They had him audition and then turned him away? Has he totally let himself go or something?

I mean I can understand some people not paying much mind to this since the big draw of Hitman has never been the acting, but for me it's going to be hard to get use to someone else's voice being 47. I have known David Bateson as being 47's voice for 12 years. I know it may sound crazy to some, but them changing the voice actor is on the same level as if they changed Max's voice in Max Payne 3. And Max's voice is one of the few things that makes that game feel like a Max Payne game, but that is another discussion all together.

It seems like they want 47 to express a higher range of emotions in this game, and I would of liked to see what Bateson would of done. I only hope they turned him down based on the quality of his reading and not some marketing guy saying "We need someone who sounds younger and more generic."

squirrelnacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By squirrelnacho

@MikeFightNight said:

This news greatly saddens me. Not liking the new voice from what you posted. They had him audition and then turned him away? Has he totally let himself go or something?

I mean I can understand some people not paying much mind to this since the big draw of Hitman has never been the acting, but for me it's going to be hard to get use to someone else's voice being 47. I have known David Bateson as being 47's voice for 12 years. I know it may sound crazy to some, but them changing the voice actor is on the same level as if they changed Max's voice in Max Payne 3. And Max's voice is one of the few things that makes that game feel like a Max Payne game, but that is another discussion all together.

It seems like they want 47 to express a higher range of emotions in this game, and I would of liked to see what Bateson would of done. I only hope they turned him down based on the quality of his reading and not some marketing guy saying "We need someone who sounds younger and more generic."

Apparently, IO didn't return his calls. Also, he has a statement about not getting the part on his own website.

I agree, it would have been nice to see what he would have done with the new partt. He brought something unique to the role, that became an important part of the character. The next Hitman movie is coming out, they may have wanted something that sounded more like the person in the movie. The voice actor is a big part of what makes playing certain characters in games fun.

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jmfinamore

That stinks. To be honest though, I never thought he was that amazing. His voice isn't that unique. Though the new guy is definitely worse.

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MikeFightNight

Here is a video series I put together a couple years back summarizing the entirety of Blood Money. It has some bits from SIlent Assassin 2, which was the game that tried the most to develop the 47 character. Fast forward to 1:49 to hear 47 praying. PRAYING SON!

Also warning SPOILERS for the end of Blood Money.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Quarters

Honestly, this doesn't bother me near as much as the Splinter Cell: Blacklist fiasco. At least this guy sounds similar to Bateson. Eric Johnson sounds nothing like Ironside.

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By droop

It is one of those wierd changes we will probably never hear the back story. Bateson has publicly said that he was interested and had tried to contact IO regarding his part.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#30  Edited By MooseyMcMan

First Sam Fisher, now this.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ShaneDev

He doesn't sound cold and emotionless enough for the character. I mean all 47 does is kill people for money and thats about it. I have no idea what he spends the money on except for more weapons. On the other hand I always thought the original voice actor was kinda stiff sounding and a little off. I never really liked it when he spoke. Perhaps a less robotic voice makes it easier for the character to become disguised and blend in. Still seems like a dick move to change the voice actor, it's not like this is a reboot and it's not like the original guy was bad at the role.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Itwastuesday

I am slightly off-put by the lack of David Bateson/Jesper Kyd, and the fact that assassins now dress up like nuns for no other reason than to dress like nuns in a parking lot of death (they at least had story-contrived reasons to dress up like grindhouse characters before!), but I couldn't be happier to hear that the Hitman gameplay is still intact in some form.

I really hope the story isn't dumb enough to be distracting.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By OneManX

I honestly can't even think of what the original 47's sounded like. Like at all. So maybe that was the reason they changed it... I'm in a wait and see mode.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Yeah the new one sucks when compared to the old one. But so long as there are still moments where Hitman does shit similar to snapping a canary's neck, I'll be happy. What really matters though, is the gameplay. So long as stealth is the main part of the game, and there's more than one way to kill targets, It'll be great.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By Tennmuerti

Yea the gravitas is not quite there i gotta say :/

Not a dealbreaker tho, after all 47 should be keeping his mouth shut most of the time anyway.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Dallas_Raines

47 never talks anyway.

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#37  Edited By DJJoeJoe

@Dallas_Raines said:

47 never talks anyway.

Pretty sure Agent 47 Narrates in one of the games, and he talks all the time in the rest. Did you ever play the games, during actual missions his talking is minimal... cause he's on mission.

TeamJersey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TeamJersey

@squirrelnacho: I will still play this game, but as an avid fan of the series, losing Bateson and composer Jesper Kyd makes me a very sad panda.

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By renmckormack

Yea is 47's voice even important? Isn't he like a cipher for the player really? hes a cloned bald guy.

deskp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By deskp

@AhmadMetallic said:

His voice is OK, but not nearly as emotionless and cold as the original voice actor.

Well I heard its abit more personal in this game, he not a drone working for the agency(?) hes on a revenge thing or something.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ozzdog12

@squirrelnacho: did the same thing with Sam Fisher/Ironside....I really hate the new guy for Splinter Cell. This guy isnt nearly as bad and I can bare it,plus 47 is quiet a lot more than Sam

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#42  Edited By warxsnake

The saddest Hitman news is that Jesper Kyd is not doing the tracks. Based on the e3 demo, its just a bunch of orchestra and choir stuff smashed together

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Agent47

@Fearbeard:Hitman:Contracts had him talk the most, it was in that game I got used to his voice.

El_Galant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By El_Galant

I'm not sure, it's still a toss up until I play the game and hear him on a regular basis. I didn't like Altair's new voice in AC: Revelations so I might be inclined to settle with being discontent. Yet Tobias Roper barely talks in the game so, we shall see.

Chroma_Auron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45  Edited By Chroma_Auron

I don't mind this new voice. While I do prefer David Bateson but this voice is alright. It still matches the character unlike Sam fishers new voice that sounds too young and angsty.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#46  Edited By natetodamax

I guess I have the benefit of only playing Hitman 2: Silent Assassin (and that was long ago), so I was never attached to the original voice actor.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.