On sale on steam 50% off & impressions on first mission.

#1 Edited by crush3x5 (39 posts) -

Hey if you guys have not picked it up yet it is on sale for $25 I believe. (50% off) I played the first mission and I do not play many stealth games so it usually takes me a couple tries to get down how to kill everyone quietly. However in this game you can just shoot your way out like say Splinter Cell: Conviction. Which I don't mind personally because thats usually how I do things but I could see how this could bother some true "stealth" game fans. The first mission does give you a well presented tutorial where it is teaching while you are doing the mission which is rather neat. Basically if you are a hardcore stealth fan you may not like how it doesn't penalize you for getting caught, however there is still a lot of challenge if you do try to be fully stealthy as the game progresses. Finally the story started off rather interesting however I have read that it gets crappy in a hurry so just another thing to consider.

#2 Posted by rethla (331 posts) -

Well the game does penalize you for getting caught (huge negative score) and there is also higher difficulties where you get straight out gunned down if you get caught if thats to your preference. The overall story is no masterpiece but the delivery and atmosphere is in my opinion so it doesnt matter.

#3 Posted by Humanity (7958 posts) -

It starts off pretty well but the missions just get pretty linear - like literally walking down a few corridors to a cutscene - about halfway through. If Absolution kept up the pace of those first two missions I think it would leave a much better impression despite the utterly terrible plot.

#4 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I gave up halfway, shitty story and the levels just aren't as good.

#5 Posted by Laiv162560asse (487 posts) -

I'd advise against rushing to judgement on this game based on the first mission or two. After the prologue and Chinatown, I was very happy with the game. After I completed it, which I had to force myself to do, it was my most disliked game of the year.

#6 Posted by pandorasbox (301 posts) -

I agree with the fellas above me. Starting off, i was in love, but the game falls apart about halfway in. Ended up moving onto FC3.

#7 Posted by crush3x5 (39 posts) -

Ya I had a feeling because I have read a lot of things about this game not being all that great and the first mission was cool. I guess that means it will get bad in a hurry lol

#8 Posted by Hunkulese (2527 posts) -

Blood Money is cheaper and better.

#9 Posted by JoeyRavn (4887 posts) -

I got it for €14 on Amazon and, so far, I haven't been able to play this game. It's plagued by DirectX errors. I was literally five minutes into the first mission when it crashed. Then, there's the matter of the framerate, which dips into the low 40s for no apparent reason. And, on top of that, the respawning after each checkpoint is brutal. I was literally sandwiched between to sets of guards after restarting a checkpoint. It was impossible for me not to get caught.

I really want to play this game, even knowing how much different from the rest of the franchise is, but I think I'll give Eidos some time to fix it first.

#10 Edited by Yummylee (20582 posts) -

@Sooty said:

That's a shame, as it gets much better as it goes. Definitely isn't as addictive or complex as Blood Money and Contracts, but it grown on me as it went. Had a lot of fun screwing about in the Bar and the Gun Store. Also the Contracts mode is super fun; I made one where you have to kill Lynch with a sniper rifle without alerting any guards, while dressed up in the bird suit.

EDIT: Though it admittedly does get kinda crappy again as it nears the end. There's overall just far too many sneaking missions and not enough sandbox 'hide in plain sight' sort of scenarios in here. Plus the disguise and the checkpoint systems are totally fucked.

#11 Edited by Humanity (7958 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

@Sooty said:

That's a shame, as it gets much better as it goes. Definitely isn't as addictive or complex as Blood Money and Contracts, but it grown on me as it went. Had a lot of fun screwing about in the Bar and the Gun Store. Also the Contracts mode is super fun; I made one where you have to kill Lynch with a sniper rifle without alerting any guards, while dressed up in the bird suit.

While it has a few good levels down the road they are few and far in between in what is otherwise a series of evasion corridors with no room to maneuver apart from heading to the exist without being spotted.

The gun store you mention while neat, is such a tiny area that it's hardly even a full level. Blackwater Hotel looks to be great but you only get to see a fraction of it. Everything is scaled down so significantly from the previous titles that I wonder if it was a technical limitation or if they really wanted to their game to go in this direction.

#12 Posted by Yummylee (20582 posts) -

@Humanity said:

@Yummylee said:

@Sooty said:

While it has a few good levels down the road they are few and far in between in what is otherwise a series of evasion corridors with no room to maneuver apart from heading to the exist without being spotted.

The gun store you mention while neat, is such a tiny area that it's hardly even a full level. Blackwater Hotel looks to be great but you only get to see a fraction of it. Everything is scaled down so significantly from the previous titles that I wonder if it was a technical limitation or if they really wanted to their game in this direction.

No, I agree, it's all annoyingly constrained and besides the mission where you're killing off Lenny's gang, nothing really comes close to matching the open nature of the previous games. Plus as I mentioned in my edit, there is most certainly just far too many generic ''get here without being seen'' missions and not enough classic Hitman gameplay.

#13 Posted by Humanity (7958 posts) -

@Yummylee: It really is a shame because as a long time Hitman fan I was really looking forward to it. Like most, after the first two missions I thought maybe everyone was just crazy because this game seems totally fine - but then those sneaking missions completely take over the main gameplay. Also as you mentioned, the disguise system is completely fucked and takes all the fun out of actually wearing a disguise. I just wish I knew what their motivations were - ever since Hitman Codename 47 the series has literally evolved and moved forward with every new iteration. To take so many steps back in gameplay and make so many strange decisions when their existing game structure was perfect is simply baffling.

#14 Posted by bibamatt (1086 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

@Sooty said:

EDIT: Though it admittedly does get kinda crappy again as it nears the end. There's overall just far too many sneaking missions and not enough sandbox 'hide in plain sight' sort of scenarios in here. Plus the disguise and the checkpoint systems are totally fucked.

What's your Steam ID? Would love to play some more contracts stuff! Only one of my friends owns the game.

#15 Edited by Yummylee (20582 posts) -

@Humanity: Yup, there's weird asinine decisions like removing the ability to look through keyholes, removing your map (though I guess the Instinct ability was the replacement), and not even distinguishing between guards and civilians on your minimap. And of course then there's the disguises, which in certain occasions (like the early copland missions) you might as well just stick with your suit the disguises are so unreliable.

I would assume that this is another playing to the masses sort of deal, especially given how it was marketed, but if that truly is the case, then that makes it all the more ironic how Absolution is the Hitman game that has left me feeling the most frustrated, thanks to the shitty way the disguises and the checkpointing works. Sooo many times has the game forced to replay the first couple of minutes of a mission over and over and over again, which actually discourages experimentation.

What's plainly obvious, though, is that they were trying for more varied design, as it switches between scripted set-pieces like escaping from the burning building, to general sneaking missions, to the occasional sandbox. But even the sandboxes are often sneaking missions just with the added goal of killing this guy along the way, and the scripted linear segments definitely out weight everything else in here. In their attempts to try and broaden the series so to speak, they've only instead ended up in diluting the primary reason why so many people flocked to the Hitman games in the first place. I still think this game's OK, but that's just it: it's OK, whereas both Contracts (my personal favourite) and Blood Money were fucking awesome.

As for the small environments, I suppose it's because the idea of fixing in the amount of scripted dialogue and paths the AI goes through into the size of a level like, say, the Hotel in Contracts was too daunting. Though the scripting is another issue I had, as there were certain situations that required you to head here first so as to trigger a group dialogue session or something, like during the hospital level where you have to trigger the guy in the blue suit to start talking, and it makes the environments feel less dynamic than in previous worlds.

Gah, I've now talked way too much shit about a game that I mostly had a fun time with. Absolution at the very least plays a whole lot better than previous games and it gives you more options in how to sneak and ambush enemies. It's just a crying shame that Absolution's vastly improved controls couldn't have been implemented into a Blood Money 2 or something. Oh well, there's another one in the making so I'm very curious to see what they're planning on doing with that. The optimist in me wants to believe that they'll probably continue with the narrative-focussed design, but will instead mix up the balance with more actual sandbox stuff...

Kinda crazy considering how Hitman basically bookended this entire generation, with Blood Money at the start and then Absolution right as we're about to move on. It truly speaks to how much change has occurred across these 6-7 years.

@bibamatt: Sorry, I've only got the PS3 version X_X

#16 Posted by Humanity (7958 posts) -

@Yummylee: I actually think it deserves all the criticism. I also think that it's an OK game, but a TERRIBLE Hitman game. It manages to completely undermine everything great that the series had built up over the years and introduce really terrible gameplay mechanics that even by modern standards are awkward at best. The checkpoint system is something so bizarre it defies all logic. It doesn't seem to be based on any modern day mechanics and the way it functions, with respawning all NPCs on the map, makes it seem basically like a bug or a compromise they couldn't get around. Whenever I start to harp on Absolution too much I feel as you do that it's definitely not a bad game. But in retrospect, when thinking back on the time I spent playing it I realize that I wasn't having a lot of fun the majority of the time. I almost begrudgingly moved onward hoping the next level would be something good, only to be disappointed time and time again. Even areas like the courthouse where you can dress up as a judge and pass a verdict during an actual trial felt shallow and empty. Perhaps the biggest contradiction is how mechanically sound everything is. The interface and world interaction is really spot on. It's when you're faced with actually playing the game using game systems that aren't very sound when everything starts to unravel.

Ironically the two levels with the nuns were highlights of the entire game for me. They were interesting adversaries and the "accidental" deaths were fun to execture, even if once again you were basically funneled into them.

#17 Edited by Yummylee (20582 posts) -

@Humanity: Yeah, The Saints missions were alright, though killing the first one in the second area when she's talking to the guard and you're behind the counter, to then pulling her over the counter while the guard is still standing right there and not getting caught was totally hilarious. But also disheartening considering how overly scripted and set-up that situation was.

I still remember that Chinatown mission walkthrough trailer and now I can't help but think how it's also a complete sham, considering that it sets you up for what you would expect to be another great Hitman game. But amidst the small few sandbox levels, the Chinatown and Lenny's Gang missions are the only ones that offer the same amount of versatility as a classic Hitman game. And yeah, I think the perfect way to sum Absolution would be it's an OK stealth, but a rather terrible and generally watered-down Hitman game.

#18 Posted by sdharrison (475 posts) -

IOI made such awful decisions at almost every level of the game that it can only be described as baffling. But their PR wax brilliant. They conned the gaming press, sold the choice bits of the game, and marketed the hell out of what we now know is a half baked product.

They are ace bullshit artists.

#19 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4281 posts) -

I decided to try it out for $20 and my first impression is holy shit I better go back to Blood Money. The "action" part at the end of the Terminal level is killing me inside.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.