Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hitman: Absolution

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 20, 2012

Agent 47 returns after a six-year hiatus to embark on a mission of redemption for the only person he could ever trust.

Square Enix Invents Horribly Insulting Facebook Promotion for Hitman: Absolution, Subsequently Apologizes

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#101  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@smokeyd123 said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@smokeyd123 said:

@Demoskinos said:

@Tsai

I can only imagine what marketing they have for Tomb Raider next year :/

Boob Mouse Pads ahoy!

Sure, I'd buy that. Definitely.

I think someone beat them to it.
    I think someone beat them to it.

But I need one with Lara on it. OTHERWISE IT WON'T WORK.

A head shot and some tape man.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By civid

I'm pretty sure the problem is that there isn't a chain of approval in Square/Enix, just a bunch of Japanese college kids who really REALLY like boob mousepads and sexy nun costumes

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#103  Edited By Sackmanjones

People are so nice

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#104  Edited By Deusoma

Wow, I had forgotten what complete garbage Rock Paper Shotgun was, but one (1) minute of clicking around the site did SO much to remind me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Hah, oh man, I really wonder what marketing company has been handling the Hitman stuff. As much as I don't think the sexy nun thing is worth of MASS HYSTERIA, they've certainly managed to come across as juvenile and baffling as possible.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#106  Edited By shaunk

@Link43130 said:

So lame this got pulled. You win again over sensitive PC kids!

This is really really bad. You don't need to be very sensitive at all to see that this is in poor taste.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#107  Edited By cornbredx
    @Vrikk: The picture posted is from the article posted by Rock, Paper, Shotgun
    The pictures were to show what the app did and how hilarious it is. 
    Seriously, though, I think they are drop down menus. 
    Slayer78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Slayer78

Insulting, Facebook, Global-Warming, the bywords of the 2000's this far. Then again, marketing is boring already, so a big fuck off to whoever tried to shock with this death-threat bullshit. Wow, a double yawn, and many cheers to Bill Hicks.

Avatar image for deactivated-637c9f11743a7
    deactivated-637c9f11743a7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can identify only one reaction this article/news elicits from me: bewildered and disgusted confusion. Perhaps best summed up with the exclamatory "OH GOD, WHY?!"

radioactivez0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By radioactivez0r

Surely the point of marketing for a game is to sell more copies? How does this push anyone to run out and buy Hitman?

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#111  Edited By avantegardener

I'm not surprised, I have to say I found absolution straight up sexist and derogatory to woman at times, and not in an edgy satirical way, but an old fashioned ignorant manner that might play well with 14 year old boys.

ninjitsubob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By ninjitsubob

god people love to complain. it's a damn shame.

Bishop113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Bishop113

Can someone who actually saw this thing or knows more about it explain something to me. Did Square come up with the "target identification" options? Or were those things that the user or users either got to put down or vote on or something?

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By cmblasko

Amazed that any group of "professionals" can get together, create this from nothing, and agree that it is a good promotional tool to release to the public.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By iamjohn

@avantegardener said:

I'm not surprised, I have to say I found absolution straight up sexist and derogatory to woman at times, and not in an edgy satirical way, but an old fashioned ignorant manner that might play well with 14 year old boys.

Kind of unrelated, but I had a very similar reaction to Sleeping Dogs at times. I wonder if there's just something about Eidos.

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By ProfessorK

This is why you can't let users have any freedom on the internet! Whats next to be taken down, the ability to draw on the WiiU because there are so many penises floating around?

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By kerse

How did this app get approved in the first place.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#118  Edited By Baal_Sagoth

I think this short-lived PR stunt is superficial, dumb, pandering, lacking any substance and - insult to injury - it does a huge disservice to the thing being "advertised". In other words it's a perfect fucking fit for Facebook.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@iAmJohn said:

@avantegardener said:

Kind of unrelated, but I had a very similar reaction to Sleeping Dogs at times. I wonder if there's just something about Eidos.

That one mission where you have to stalk a girlfriend who's cheating on you even though you're cheating on her was weird. Though I did like when she pointed it out and left for good.

@ProfessorK said:

This is why you can't let users have any freedom on the internet! Whats next to be taken down, the ability to draw on the WiiU because there are so many penises floating around?

@Bishop113 said:

Can someone who actually saw this thing or knows more about it explain something to me. Did Square come up with the "target identification" options? Or were those things that the user or users either got to put down or vote on or something?

There is a drop down menu for the choices. Whoever made the ap is the one who came up with the responses not the users. And with that there isn't a penis drawing option on the WIIU.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#120  Edited By avantegardener

@iAmJohn said:

@avantegardener said:

Yeah to an extent in Sleepy dawgs, not nearly as much mind, and at least you could argue that it was the sleazy world of underworld crime and slightly more genre appropriate. In Hitman, it's more the art direction choices they make, why does the girl have to be in a short school uniform for example, and the uncomfortable bed fellows of sex and violence, that said, Hitman exists in a wierd hyper real universe, and the games have been goofy since the beginning. Perhaps just a missed opportunity to tell an actual mature story, and not mature in T&A sort of way. Interesting to know what input Square Enix had.

cabbagered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By cabbagered

"Hitman Absolution-related snafu fails to make us love Hitman Absolution than we already love Hitman Absolution."

Perhaps I'm paraphrasing... a teensy bit, but while I don't believe that any publicity is good publicity, I can certainly see the temptation if every outlet covering this story chooses to lavish this much praise on the related product, GB.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By iamjohn

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@iAmJohn said:

@avantegardener said:

That one mission where you have to stalk a girlfriend who's cheating on you even though you're cheating on her was weird. Though I did like when she pointed it out and left for good.

The ending was kind of nice, but I could never really get over the incongruity of the fact that you've been on two dates with this woman at the hostess club where she works, and somehow she's now exclusively yours and you need to stalk her to make sure she isn't seeing another man (especially when, like you said, you're sleeping with other people, too). The fact that the "love interests" are more or less never mentioned again after you see them once doesn't help matters either.

horia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By horia

everything is insulting always forever and needs to be addressed yesterday

TheSmashing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By TheSmashing

It's unfortunate that they had to remove it.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@iAmJohn said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@iAmJohn said:

@avantegardener said:

The ending was kind of nice, but I could never really get over the incongruity of the fact that you've been on two dates with this woman at the hostess club where she works, and somehow she's now exclusively yours and you need to stalk her to make sure she isn't seeing another man (especially when, like you said, you're sleeping with other people, too). The fact that the "love interests" are more or less never mentioned again after you see them once doesn't help matters either.

Yeah I agree with you. I just thought the ending to that could have been worse. And I really do wish that you had more time with the women. It all seemed like it stopped halfway through their stories.

Avatar image for renegadedoppelganger
    RenegadeDoppelganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This GIF seems appropriate:

No Caption Provided
    abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By abendlaender

I....I don't really see this as "horribly insulting". Stupid? Yes Unnecessary? Maybe.

Insulting? To whom? Your facebook friends? If a friend of mine ordered a hit on me and describes me as "has a tiny penis" I would shrug (at worst), probably shake my fist, scream his name and plan my revenge. Not flip out and feel insulted by facebook....

TomCostello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By TomCostello

Unsubscribed.

Tired of this new wave PC "everyone gets offended by everything" bullshit that has infected this site like Kotaku and many others.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow.

It's funny to think that no one apparently thought for a moment about how bad of an idea this was.

Luchen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Luchen

@TomCostello: I hate forced PC like everyone else, and this article does have quite a bit more of it that i would like. But it's calling out more how stupid and dumb the idea is more than how "wrong" it is.

das9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By das9000

Correction : Square did a stupid thing, not an offensive thing. It was the users that made it offensive. Either way, hilarious.

triumvir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By triumvir

That is kinda awesome and utterly asinine. I'm glad they took it down; there is way too much potential for abuse.

Chumm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Chumm

@TomCostello said:

Unsubscribed.

Tired of this new wave "PC" everyone gets offended by everyone bullshit that has infected this site like Kotaku and many others.

You'll be missed, certainly. But more to the point, if these things are out there representing what "gamers" like, then "gamers" look like a bunch of fuckwits. This isn't about being offended that someone said or did something stupid, no website is big enough to cover that spectrum, but that it represents our hobby in the worst possible way. This facebook thing in particular was made by some (Emmy-winning) ad agency, not by people who make, play, or love games. THIS is what this ad agency thinks appeals to our demographic. If they're right, we have a lot to be ashamed of. If they're wrong, then we fucking well better say something.

Yadilie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#134  Edited By Yadilie

More overreacting to things that don't matter. Just lovely.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Abendlaender said:

I....I don't really see this as "horribly insulting". Stupid? Yes Unnecessary? Maybe.

Insulting? To whom? Your facebook friends? If a friend of mine ordered a hit on me and describes me as "has a tiny penis" I would shrug (at worst), probably shake my fist, scream his name and plan my revenge. Not flip out and feel insulted by facebook....

How many of your friends actually know if you have a tiny penis? It's not really the same thing.

This is more on the same level as "taking a hit out on someone" because "they have black skin" and how many of you would be saying "no big deal!" if that was the case? Yeah, I know the amount of political correctness we have these days is ridiculous, but this sort of thing can be very easily abused and the way women are treated by the general gaming community is straight up appalling. Maybe one day it'll all be shits and giggles to joke about this sort of thing, but try playing one match of CoD as a girl and you'll see why we're not quite there yet.

Jumbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#136  Edited By Jumbs

@TomCostello said:

Unsubscribed.

Tired of this new wave PC "everyone gets offended by everything" bullshit that has infected this site like Kotaku and many others.

Yes, let's bring back the days without PC! I wish I was allowed to yell out the "N word" across a crowded space, it's THEIR fault for being offended!

hamjam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#137  Edited By hamjam

I guess they'd thought this would be a good way to define how they got the title "Blood Money".

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

Are people losing their jobs over this? Because people should be losing their jobs over this.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By jsnyder82
    Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.
    Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.
    soupbones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#140  Edited By soupbones

People are too sensitive. You have a small penis...get over it.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By abendlaender

@WinterSnowblind said:

@Abendlaender said:

How many of your friends actually know if you have a tiny penis? It's not really the same thing.

This is more on the same level as "taking a hit out on someone" because "they have black skin" and how many of you would be saying "no big deal!" if that was the case? Yeah, I know the amount of political correctness we have these days is ridiculous, but this sort of thing can be very easily abused and the way women are treated by the general gaming community is straight up appalling. Maybe one day it'll all be shits and giggles to joke about this sort of thing, but try playing one match of CoD as a girl and you'll see why we're not quite there yet.

But it's not the same thing. As I understand it you can only order hits on people who are on your friendlist (Edit: Wrong). So, as a girl for example, why would you have an misogynistic asshole on your friendlist? And I don't really get the first sentence...none of my friends know, what does that matter?

Edit: Okay, so apparently you can order a hit on anybody, not just your friends. That is extremly stupid.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By jsnyder82

@Jumbs said:

@TomCostello said:

Unsubscribed.

Yes, let's bring back the days without PC! I wish I was allowed to yell out the "N word" across a crowded space, it's THEIR fault for being offended!

I think there's a lot more grey area in between not being able to get offended by every little thing people say and being able to yell the n word.

That's not to say that this particular incident wasn't tottally uncalled for and offensive, because it was. But you're taking his words way, way out of context. I thought I should just clarify a little.

patrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#143  Edited By patrick

@TomCostello said:

Unsubscribed.

If you aren't offended by how absolutely awful this was handled on any level, it's probably for the best.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By shaunk

@Yadilie said:

More overreacting to things that don't matter. Just lovely.

One could argue your comment is overreacting to a simple news story about Square Enix doing something offensive.

Jumbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#145  Edited By Jumbs

@jsnyder82 said:

@Jumbs said:

@TomCostello said:

Unsubscribed.

I think there's a lot more grey area in between not being able to get offended by every little thing people say and being able to yell the n word.

That's not to say that this particular incident wasn't tottally uncalled for and offensive, because it was. But you're taking his words way, way out of context. I thought I should just clarify a little.

There is, but not in this instance. Whenever people start blathering on about "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD!!" it's usually over something completely reasonable, such as this incident.

If you think this publicity stunt WASN'T offensive, I'm hoping you're not breeding.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By jsnyder82

@Jumbs said:

@jsnyder82 said:

@Jumbs said:

@TomCostello said:

Unsubscribed.

There is, but not in this instance. Whenever people start blathering on about "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD!!" it's usually over something completely reasonable, such as this incident.

If you think this publicity stunt WASN'T offensive, I'm hoping you're not breeding.

Why are you insulting me? It says right in my comment that I thought it WAS offensive. Take a chill pill.

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#147  Edited By beard_of_zeus

Why is games marketing so terrible sometimes? Do PR/marketing folks have such a skewed perception of their audience that they think this is appealing or funny to us in any way? Even divorced of that, this is a straight up terrible idea.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#148  Edited By toowalrus

So part of me totally believes that dick jokes are A-OK. Am I a bad person? Then again, jokingly making comments about a lady's body can get you in a lot of trouble, so it's probably for the best that this thing got taken down.

Swifdemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Swifdemon

Far be it from me to shy away from the sentiment that Political Correctness and overly sensitive culture is a bad thing- it's an awful thing I could write pages about but won't- but anyone saying that it's silly for this subject to be reported on needs to have their brain checked. What Squeenix did WAS wrong and it WAS stupid, and it SHOULD be brought to attention. There are limitations to jokes, that's it. I will be the first to agree that people need to just get over shit, but this campaign was retarded, and I'm glad I know about it so I can think even less of the marketing industry (who would have thought that possible?)

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#150  Edited By penguindust

Apparently the marketers for this game have never seen a Lifetime TV movie. I'm pretty sure there's more than one "Facebook killed my daughter" flick in rotation there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.