Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hitman: Absolution

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 20, 2012

Agent 47 returns after a six-year hiatus to embark on a mission of redemption for the only person he could ever trust.

Square Enix Invents Horribly Insulting Facebook Promotion for Hitman: Absolution, Subsequently Apologizes

Jumbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#151  Edited By Jumbs

@jsnyder82 said:

@Jumbs said:

@jsnyder82 said:

@Jumbs said:

@TomCostello said:

Unsubscribed.

Tired of this new wave PC "everyone gets offended by everything" bullshit that has infected this site like Kotaku and many others.

Yes, let's bring back the days without PC! I wish I was allowed to yell out the "N word" across a crowded space, it's THEIR fault for being offended!

I think there's a lot more grey area in between not being able to get offended by every little thing people say and being able to yell the n word.

That's not to say that this particular incident wasn't tottally uncalled for and offensive, because it was. But you're taking his words way, way out of context. I thought I should just clarify a little.

There is, but not in this instance. Whenever people start blathering on about "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD!!" it's usually over something completely reasonable, such as this incident.

If you think this publicity stunt WASN'T offensive, I'm hoping you're not breeding.

Why are you insulting me? It says right in my comment that I thought it WAS offensive. Take a chill pill.

Sorry, poor wording on my part. I meant anyone who thinks this isn't offensive, not you.

Forum_User

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#152  Edited By Forum_User

@TomCostello said:

Unsubscribed.

Tired of this new wave PC "everyone gets offended by everything" bullshit that has infected this site like Kotaku and many others.

Bye bye.

Just one thing, though: You're not going to make death threats against us, are you?

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By Spoonman671

That was really stupid, but if you're genuinely offended by this, then you're going to have a really tough time when you finally enter the real world.

frootsnax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#154  Edited By frootsnax

Wait, ubisoft predicted the future, they knew this would happen and they made the square enix marketing team the characters at the beginning of far cry 3. It all makes sense now.

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#155  Edited By ProfessorK

@SethPhotopoulos: Sarcasm intended. But the point was more users can choose not to pick the vulgar option as well as choose not to draw penises in bubbles on WiiU. That said, folley on Eidos' part for having that in there.

Although yea, there is no developer made penis option, should be tho...

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#156  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I'm about the least PC person there is but this is maybe the stupidest corporate run marketing, decision, whatever you want to call it EVER. So embarrassing.

@Spoonman671 said:

That was really stupid, but if you're genuinely offended by this, then you're going to have a really tough time when you finally enter the real world.

You must have a fun group of friends!

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#157  Edited By Milkman
    @Spoonman671
    Yes, "the real world." The place where everyone is always threatening to murder each other because of their "small tits."

What is that comment even suppose to mean?
    Forum_User

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By Forum_User

@Spoonman671 said:

I was living in a fake one for the longest time because the matrix had me.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#159  Edited By big_jon

And how does this premote their game?

EvilKatarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By EvilKatarn

So is anyone actually offended by these things or are they just pretending?

I mean it's offensive that they'd think anyone would find it funny, sure.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@EvilKatarn said:

So is anyone actually offended by these things or are they just pretending?

I mean it's offensive that they'd think anyone would find it funny, sure.

I don't know if people mean they are actually "offended" when they say it... I suppose it offends their sensibilities.

I just think it's absurd and embarrassing. If creating this was work for me or I approved of it I would be embarrassed.

Forum_User

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By Forum_User

@big_jon said:

Just another act of desperation from a faltering company. If it wasn't for nostalgia, they'd probably have been bankrupt years ago.

cyraxible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By cyraxible

Why does anyone even give a shit enough to find this offensive?

The reaction over at RPS is fucking hilarious. I enjoy that site for PC coverage but holy shit they have gotten really bad lately.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@Forum_User said:

@big_jon said:

Just another act of desperation from a faltering company. If it wasn't for nostalgia, they'd probably have been bankrupt years ago.

Well this is sure completely false. They have made some great games lately on the Western side. Eidos has been quite good this generation.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By monkeyking1969

Rather than throw around blame or reiterate that it was bad, it would be interesting to have the advertising team break down and show all about their plan. How it came about. I am sure at some Advertising-Age conference in Las Vegas, where every year advertising professionals have a track or a class called "What went wrong”. In the class, professionals talk to other professional about a campaign that went off the rails.

How great would it be to see Square-Enix lift the curtain so that customers could see the process. I am sure some sort of "debriefing" of the steps and they choices made would be FASCINATING. I bet there might even have been good ideas or other choices that would make perfect sense. I know it will never happen...but there is a great story in how mismanaged the message behind this game has been.

I love the behind the scenes look at things, and I think train-wreck problems are just as interesting to hear about as successes. I even say, Square-Enix could salvage some good will from people seeing they had good intentions...maybe not but they can't get much worse.

Forum_User

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By Forum_User

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Forum_User said:

@big_jon said:

Well this is sure completely false. They have made some great games lately on the Western side. Eidos has been quite good this generation.

I meant Square Enix. Well, if not bankruptcy, then at least non-profitability for those particular studios. It's hard to follow the logistics of all of these game company mergers and acquisitions, especially when they just start tacking acquired names onto other things (like the Bioware / Command and Conquer nonsense.)

j3ffro919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By j3ffro919

I'd pay money to be a fly on the wall in that office today. Not because I want to watch someone have their ass handed to them - I want to hear the excuse why someone thought this was a good idea to begin with.

Igottadeuce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#168  Edited By Igottadeuce

They only removed this because every Facebook user would eventually have a hit on them with the reason 'terrible taste in music'.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@Forum_User said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Forum_User said:

@big_jon said:

I mean Square Enix.

Eidos is owned by Square Enix. It's a subsidiary Hence why Hitman was released by Square Enix. Also Deus Ex, Just Cause 2, the upcoming Tomb Raider, etc.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By JazGalaxy

@Grillbar said:

look the hole trailer killing nuns debacle was stupid, they were not nuns they were dressed sorta like nuns. like a halloween s/m nun dress more or less and people overreacted in the most stupid way over something so far from what they were claiming. at least that how i see it.

but this...

this is just some marketing thinking they were edgy. but its tasteless in so many ways imo

You're missing the whole point.

Nobody over-reacted. If you don't see the problem with it, then you need to do some serious self examination because most people in society do not agree with you.

The fact that they were nuns had little to nothing to do wtih why people were upset. People were upset because hypersexualized women were being dismembered in slow motion and that was supposed to make you WANT TO PLAY the game. The fact that were dressed as super sexualized nuns, of all things, just underscored how there was absolutely no legitimate context to what was going on.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By zeforgotten
    @JazGalaxy said:

@Grillbar said:

look the hole trailer killing nuns debacle was stupid, they were not nuns they were dressed sorta like nuns. like a halloween s/m nun dress more or less and people overreacted in the most stupid way over something so far from what they were claiming. at least that how i see it.

but this...

this is just some marketing thinking they were edgy. but its tasteless in so many ways imo

Nobody over-reacted. If you don't see the problem with it, then you need to do some serious self examination because most people in society do not agree with you.

The fact that they were nuns had little to nothing to do wtih why people were upset. People were upset because hypersexualized women were being dismembered in slow motion and that was supposed to make you WANT TO PLAY the game. The fact that were dressed as super sexualized nuns, of all things, just underscored how there was absolutely no legitimate context to what was going on.

If batshit insane women were hired to kill me and they were into SM and were dressed as nuns because that's their whole act for when they take a client and I were 47. I wouldn't stand around going "Oh, they're women. Well I can't hit women, that's just wrong"  

Kinda like when RE5 came out and everyone were claiming racism. 
    I don't fucking care what skincolor they have, if they're charging at me with a sword I'm gonna defend myself.  

Crazy, parasite infected humans. 
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#172  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@JazGalaxy said:

@Grillbar said:

but this...

I thought the problem was more that Hitman was marketed as "Kill the fuck out of everyone with hyper action!" than the fact that he was simply killing women. A lot of people thought it was a Saint's Row trailer and were weirded out that it was Hitman.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By big_jon

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Forum_User said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Forum_User said:

@big_jon said:

I mean Square Enix.

Eidos is owned by Square Enix. It's a subsidiary Hence why Hitman was released by Square Enix. Also Deus Ex, Just Cause 2, the upcoming Tomb Raider, etc.

You guys are missing the point here. How would someone expect this to increase a games sales? I just don't see how a large company full of business people and marketers comes to the conclusion that this will some how promote their game.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Dan_CiTi

More embarrassing than offensive, but I'm sure a bunch of 13 year olds would think its hilarrrrriiiiooussssssss.

Thankfully the game is good.

Mikey2D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#175  Edited By Mikey2D

*face palm* - there's really nothing else to say.

TheJoker138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By TheJoker138

@ZeForgotten: These are not real women. A writer, most likely a MALE, wrote them to be crazy women who for some reason dress up in hyper-sexualized fetish outfits when they go out and kill people. And the reason is because they were all abused. Fantastic. And then an artist, also most likely a MALE, designed said sexy fetish costumes. If you don't see the problem with this you're a caveman.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Oh Japan, you crazy.

gaggle64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By gaggle64

@Tsai: Oh, may god have mercy on that game.

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#179  Edited By CJduke

I am confused as to how this promotes their game and as to how professional business people thought this was a good marketing tool.

kycinematic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By kycinematic

I see common sense is not one of the strong suits of the Hitman Absolution marketing team. Do they even know who their audience is? Have they even played any of the Hitman games? Who in their right minds would think an insulting death threat simulator for facebook would be a good idea? "Ya see, its provocative and there is no such thing as bad press!!!"

It also speaks to the creativity of the team when they think "ha ha u can say your target has a small penis and bad taste in music LOL!" is actually funny. I'm glad Square Enix is giving 13 year old boys a chance to work.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By zeforgotten
    @TheJoker138: So, they're not real women?  
    Man, I should be really upset then. Fucking polygons, they should be treated right! 

If not bitching and whining about "not real women" wearing digital outfits make me a caveman then that's fine. 
    Rather that than some little fucktard who just whines for no good reason.  

I can't take anyone seriously who get offende because of pixels, meshes or polygons. 
    I just can't, not even you
    jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By jerseyscum

The marketing genius behind this debacle is SO fired. And probably blackballed out of the marketing business outright. It looks fantastic to companies during the interview process that your work made your previous employer look like borderline psychopaths. With serious issues against women.

Mixwizzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Mixwizzard

"Oh Hitman: Absolution, you are too good of a game to have been as terribly marketed as you have been. I'm"

Please tell me this is a bad joke, Absolution is awful compared to the other Hitman games. Stealth is boring, Disguises are generally useless on a difficulty thats above Normal. Guard's vision is sporadic and bad (Sometimes might see you 1,000 miles away, sometimes won't even know you're breathing right next them.)

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Also this marketing is working look at everyone talking about their game now, free advertising baby.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Mixwizzard said:

"Oh Hitman: Absolution, you are too good of a game to have been as terribly marketed as you have been. I'm"

Please tell me this is a bad joke, Absolution is awful compared to the other Hitman games. Stealth is boring, Disguises are generally useless on a difficulty thats above Normal. Guard's vision is sporadic and bad (Sometimes might see you 1,000 miles away, sometimes won't even know you're breathing right next them.)

No, he liked it. So did a lot of other people... Your move?

TomCostello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By TomCostello

@Chumm: I agree completely, it's just that the Giant Bomb news team seem to have taken to only reporting negative news lately to stir up page views and comments. The app is indeed in very bad taste but doesn't deserve a news article and the outrage it seems to have caused, also, the community feels much less friendly and more argumentative since the #1reasonwhy article, this was my favorite site and the community has always felt like a utopia where everybody gets along so it's kinda like seeing your parents arguing when you were a kid. Maybe I overreacted, I apologise, bad day etc etc.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#187  Edited By tourgen

I don't know, it seems mostly harmless to me depending on how the final msg is labelled.

It's not like facebook is the height of human communication. This little app might have actually classed up the place a bit.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#188  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I'm fine with the idea of pretending to hire someone to murder friends, but it's the presentation of it, and all that other stuff that makes it not cool to me.

Mahogany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By Mahogany

Well it's about time someone gave EA a run for their money in tasteless/terrible/stupid marketing.

What I find most insulting is that someone actually got paid to come up with this shit. Tip for the next games marketing with a budget to waste, give a Kickstarter project or charity all the money you were going to waste on your dumb idea and send out a press release saying you did so. You'd get plenty of coverage and might be able to sleep at night for once.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By MiniPato

I bet whoever approved this had no idea what the fuck it even was. He or she probably just heard "facebook" and thought, "Social network marketing? That's a hip thing! Yeah, do that facebook thing, it sounds very modern and we'll get all the likes and hits!"

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@TomCostello said:

@Chumm: I agree completely, it's just that the Giant Bomb news team seem to have taken to only reporting negative news lately to stir up page views and comments. The app is indeed in very bad taste but doesn't deserve a news article and the outrage it seems to have caused, also, the community feels much less friendly and more argumentative since the #1reasonwhy article, this was my favorite site and the community has always felt like a utopia where everybody gets along so it's kinda like seeing your parents arguing when you were a kid. Maybe I overreacted, I apologise, bad day etc etc.

I thinkit's becauseyouare onlyfocusing onthe negative ones.

I think an article is warranted just to highlight how insane the marketing has been for this game. It's also easy to avoid these type of articles since you have to actively click on the link and read the article. The bombcrew are still doing other stuff so just ignore this if it makes you uncomfortable and stop focusing in on the more negative stuff.

SharkMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By SharkMan

ugh... there should be a law against this kind of thing. Inciting accidental intent to kill or something, because we all know how smart people are in the world to not see the mark-of-death as a joke..

glyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By glyn

Probably is amazing marketing tbh... Any media attention is better than no attention

rick_deckard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By rick_deckard

I don't know. Didn't really strike me as that offensive. It's all about how thick your skin is I suppose.

sodacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By sodacat

@jerseyscum said:

The marketing genius behind this debacle is SO fired. And probably blackballed out of the marketing business outright. It looks fantastic to companies during the interview process that your work made your previous employer look like borderline psychopaths. With serious issues against women.

I want it to be, I really do, but unless their names get released no one will ever know who they are, their companies will consider it a miss, and they'll just keep on producing this shit. The anonymity of advertising protects them.

Nevermind that marketing never takes responsibility for anything.

swordmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By swordmagic

Whatever, games still awesome

RanmaRanma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By RanmaRanma

And yet here we are still talking about the game and this campaign won't negatively affect sales. Got to wonder if it was a Rockstar kind of risk, and they knew the backlash would be coming.

mrsmiley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#198  Edited By mrsmiley

I would love to be a fly on the wall in these marketing meetings. There are so many terrible campaigns out there, and it really makes me wonder considering these companies are supposed to be aware of the world around them in order to advertise to it.

JoeGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By JoeGuy

They could have at least made the insults at least funny reasons to take a hit out on someone. I mean saying 47 can identify him with by his small penis and he wants to kill him for bad odour or something is too insulting to be funny all the time and could be abused with people you don't like.

An identifier like "will be droning on about favorite band as per usual" and reason is "he never gave me that game back I lent him" seem more like what a friend would say in taking a joke hit on you.

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#200  Edited By paulunga

The thing about that trailer is that it's totally in-line with the game's content. You very much have to kill a bunch of sexy nuns at some point. It's just as ridiculous in context as it was when the trailer first popped up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.