The Latex Nun Murder Squad need their own game. There, I said it.

#1 Posted by Grimhild (719 posts) -

Watching the outpouring of posts condemning or defending the Latex Nun Murder Squad was very entertaining. I refuse to call them "The Saints" since we all know who the true Saints are of the video game community are. Both camps have valid arguments in that, yes, the Hitman games have always had weird fetish-related imagery in them. But yes, they were also within a context that made a little more sense, as in going to an actual fetish party to pursue a target etc. Personally, I was a bit disappointed to learn at the end that we at least won't get to see the LNMS in action since they've already been killed.

Also, being one of the supposedly elusive XX chromosome gamers, I don't see this as an offensive portrayal of females. Absurd? Absolutely, but offensive? Nah. If anything I see it as being hilariously stylized, sexy, and bad-ass. Are they weepy and helpless without men around? No. They're simply an extreme amalgamation of sexual imagery and violence, both in the inherent connotations of the BDSM apparel and peeling people's domes the fuck back that apparently could only been taken out by a genetically engineered super-assassin. Now, would I want the LNMS showing up in my gritty, realistic virtual adventures? Of course not, it's a completely different type of game. But, it is possible to enjoy both the realistic and the absurd without taking it so seriously.

Anyway, it got me to thinking if the knee-jerk reaction would've been different if it wasn't set within the Hitman universe. Think of the concept again, but now put the LNMS in the position of being the central focus of the game in a sort of multiple anti-heroine grindhouse role. Get Combichrist to do the soundtrack and I would gladly play the hell out of that game.

And before you start white-knighting, I understand that you have good intentions (or you're just trying to impress someone to get laid). If you have your own feelings on the issue, feel free to express them. But don't assume you know better than I do about my own feelings on this specific subject as far as my tastes on the aesthetics of entertainment go. It's extremely egotistical and annoying.

So, what do you guys think? Would you play that game, or does it change your opinion of the Latex Nun Murder Squad? Is it simply the fact that they appear in a Hitman game that bothers you, or is it the concept of them in general?

#2 Posted by Jayzilla (2538 posts) -

Agreed. It would be totally fine and even awesome in another franchise. Maybe they are trying to make the series more comedic unintentionally? I think it is a rote way to make it borderline blasphemous to the Catholic church and stir up some controversy to sell some units to the "mid-core demographic that there marketing people keep telling them is such a key audience to shoot for. Whatevs. As long as I can still play the old school way, it's cool with me. I'm not that much a hipster that I mind dude bros playing my Hitman.

#3 Posted by LiquidPrince (15601 posts) -

Like I said before, I'm buying this just because I find it funny how every one is condemning it. Little white knighters.... brings a tear to my eye! But in all seriousness, it looks pretty good in my opinion, and it's going to be my first Hitman game.

#4 Posted by Harkat (1090 posts) -

Yeah, I'm onboard here.

#5 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

The Latex Nun Murder Squad need their own game

Agreed. Let's make this happen, games.

#6 Posted by ThePhantomStranger (353 posts) -

I have no investment in the Hitman franchise, although I am familiar with some of the fiction and gameplay, and when I saw the battle nuns I laughed for a straight minute. I initially saw the nuns approaching and just assumed that they were going to pull out some guns and ice agent 47, you know normal videogame stuff, but then they took off the nun costumes and I'll I could think of was Metal Gear and Dues Ex HR.

As to the whole separate game idea I'd actually be pretty interested in what the game play would be like...

#7 Posted by mscupcakes (610 posts) -

I couldn't agree with you more. I really liked the idea of them since I saw the first trailer. I'd like a 4 player co-op game with them as the protagonists.

#8 Posted by Grimhild (719 posts) -

@mscupcakes said:

I'd like a 4 player co-op game with them as the protagonists.

Absolutely. Make it so.

#9 Posted by august (3811 posts) -

I don't really have a problem beveling that some crazy-ass Kill Bill-esque shit goes down in the hitman universe now and then.

I mean at the end of the first game you mow down an insane asylum full of your own clones with a chain gun.

#10 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3626 posts) -

Wait...this isn't a trap to get me to agree so that people call me the "m" word is it?

...is it???

#11 Posted by Phatmac (5686 posts) -

It's at the level of other insane Hitman shit so I'm okay with it. Hope the games good.

#12 Edited by Grimhild (719 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Wait...this isn't a trap to get me to agree so that people call me the "m" word is it?

...is it???

I'll protect you with my estrogen force field, Dandy. Don't worry.

#13 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3626 posts) -

@Grimhild said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

...is it???

I'll protect you with my estrogen force field, Dandy. Don't worry.

Thanks Grim. Ok yeah I'm in on this idea. I have no problem with badass sexy nuns. Considering that what they've showed of the game shows it still is the way Hitman should be, I'm fine with the whole concept.

#14 Posted by HadesTimes (793 posts) -

I'm in too...

#15 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Yes.

#16 Posted by fox01313 (5032 posts) -

Seeing how much fun Borderlands & Left4Dead has been as far as being a good co-op multiplayer game, I'd love this group of murderous sin to get it's own game like those games at least in regards to the 4 player co-op. Hopefully when it does come out they actually have some personality & unique traits to each of the people in the Latex Nun Murder Squad. Great post Grimhild!

#17 Posted by AndrewB (7189 posts) -

Latex Nun Murder Squad is also my favorite band.

#18 Posted by theodacourt (510 posts) -

They should be in Saint's 4. Two rival gang's called the saint's both as absurd as the other. It would be awesome!

#19 Posted by Grimhild (719 posts) -

@theodacourt:

You might not be far off, since they piggybacked the "Enter the Dominatrix" DLC into the 4th.

@AndrewB:

I hear they're planning a tour with Suicide Commando :P

#20 Posted by Yummylee (20551 posts) -

@theodacourt said:

They should be in Saint's 4. Two rival gang's called the saint's both as absurd as the other. It would be awesome!

And it'll be up to the Boondock Saints to put an end to all of it. To which they'll invariably fail at and end up either joining The 3rd Street Saints or dying by their hands, or floppy dildo-bats as it were.

#21 Posted by DonutFever (3514 posts) -

It seems a little weird in Absolution, given everything else they've shown.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.