Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hitman: Absolution

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 20, 2012

Agent 47 returns after a six-year hiatus to embark on a mission of redemption for the only person he could ever trust.

Warning: Game-Breaking Bug

bombedyermom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bombedyermom

After playing for 12 hours, my 360 froze while Hitman was saving. Upon restarting my xbox, all of my save game data had been deleted. The only thing still there were the xbox achievements (....yay....?). As far as the game was concerned, I had never played it before. No work arounds that I know of, and the internet says people are having this issue across platforms. Sometimes an hour in, sometimes 12 (as in my case).

So, I dunno. Buyer's Beware? Pretty shitty way to end my night. Sigh.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By JP_Russell

Sounds like some sort of cloud storage issue, especially if it's across platforms.

bombedyermom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By bombedyermom

@JP_Russell: I use my hard drive for storage, unless there's something else at work I don't know about.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mike

Sorry to hear that dude...I actually started backing my saves up to a memory card earlier this year when there was another bug going around that could cause save games for a certain game to get wiped. May not be a bad idea to do that periodically if you ever work up the nerve to start playing Hitman again.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JP_Russell

@bombedyermom said:

@JP_Russell: I use my hard drive for storage, unless there's something else at work I don't know about.

XBOX Live basically uses a cloud system to store your profile and game-specific configurations and saves and such, as I understand it (so it syncs what's on your hard drive with their servers, and can on the other hand pull stuff in from the servers to be used on any 360, and this system can lead to bugs where it overwrites things it's not supposed to during syncing, or just straight-up deletes things entirely).

These sorts of problems can occur on Steam with some games, as well, if you leave Steam Cloud enabled, and I know I've heard of them happening on the PS3 with its cloud service, too. On Steam, you can just turn it off, but I assume you have no such control on Live other than not connecting to it at all.

troidy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By troidy

I've had this issue occur twice now, it'll hard-lock the game, and after you reboot the save is corrupted. As a result, I've begun copying my save to a flash drive after I complete every mission so that when it inevitably does it again I can just bring the save from the flash drive back in. It's a dumb workaround though, and I hope they fix this sooner rather than later.

BillyMethers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By BillyMethers

Does this apply to the PC version? Just curious before I invest my time into this game.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Bollard

@JP_Russell said:

@bombedyermom said:

XBOX Live basically uses a cloud system to store your profile and game-specific configurations and saves and such, as I understand it (so it syncs what's on your hard drive with their servers, and can on the other hand pull stuff in from the servers to be used on any 360, and this system can lead to bugs where it overwrites things it's not supposed to during syncing, or just straight-up deletes things entirely).

What? It only uses cloud storage if you choose the cloud storage option. No idea what you are on about.

bombedyermom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bombedyermom

@troidy said:

I've had this issue occur twice now, it'll hard-lock the game, and after you reboot the save is corrupted. As a result, I've begun copying my save to a flash drive after I complete every mission so that when it inevitably does it again I can just bring the save from the flash drive back in. It's a dumb workaround though, and I hope they fix this sooner rather than later.

Yeah, this seems to be the only work around so far.

bombedyermom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bombedyermom

@BillyMethers said:

Does this apply to the PC version? Just curious before I invest my time into this game.

Checking this morning I've yet so see anyone mention the problem on PC. Ps3 and Xbox360 are the only victims.

lusence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By lusence

@bombedyermom: Ive had this happen a couple times. Upon loading a checkpoint sometimes it makes me wait WAY 2 long and i cant quit so i reboot my PS3. Then, i just lost all my save file on a system reboot. Happened twice. So far as I can tell I deleated the corrupted save files and seems to be working okay now... Im playing the digital version on top of my ole save from when i rented it. Also backing it up on cloud... so far so good!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.