Why can Agent 47 see through walls?

• 68 results
#1 Edited by scalpel (314 posts) -

He also seems to be able to predict which paths guards take, which is inexplicably visualized by flames coming out of the ground.

Is any of this explained in the narrative? Is he superhuman? Is it all that Krav Maga?

#2 Posted by Sackmanjones (4784 posts) -

He's in a video game.

Also he's got mad instincts. Which is better justified than the all powerful map.

#3 Posted by Sin4profit (2992 posts) -

@scalpel: Because he lacks purity.

#4 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

It's pretty stupid I agree.

#5 Posted by ThunderSlash (1909 posts) -

47 is some genetically bred test tube subject. At least that's what I got from playing Contracts. I'm not sure if seeing through walls is part of his abilities however. In the other games, he knew where everyone else was through a dynamic map.

tl;dr

@Sackmanjones said:

He's in a video game.
#6 Posted by Demoskinos (15107 posts) -

@scalpel: He was hanging out with batman.

#7 Posted by Solh0und (1831 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

He's in a video game.

Basically this.

#8 Posted by dungbootle (2458 posts) -

He's the protagonist

#9 Posted by pyrodactyl (2282 posts) -

Instinct, pretty sur you can turn it off if you think you can rely on your own instinct

#10 Posted by Gonmog (602 posts) -

hardest mode has no ui and what not. And you complain about that? When in the other games there was the all seeing map.

#11 Edited by Klei (1768 posts) -

@scalpel said:

He also seems to be able to predict which paths guards take, which is inexplicably visualized by flames coming out of the ground.

Is any of this explained in the narrative? Is he superhuman? Is it all that Krav Maga?

Because 2012's gamers sucks at video games. They like to be held by the hand and carried through the game. They like their games easy. Today, you just don't make a hard game without offering a large and very comprehensible tutorial for the average dim-wit. Unless you've got balls and have From Software at your bidding, You don't want instinct mode? Ramp up the difficulty.

#12 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

VIDJA GGGGGGGGGGGGAME

#13 Posted by Brodehouse (10106 posts) -

Because it's difficult to convey directional sound and tremors of someone moving around in a video game without using a visual indicator.

#14 Posted by Yummylee (22294 posts) -

It's just a way of visualising 47's acute senses and abilities that make him the world's greatest assassin. Though of course it's there purely to make the game more accessible for new players and can be turned off otherwise.

#15 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

He's a Templar. That's the power they have instead of Eagle Vision.

#16 Posted by EpicSteve (6495 posts) -

There's a reason he's a deadly assassin. Any jackass can pull a trigger in someone's face.

#17 Posted by scalpel (314 posts) -

@Brodehouse: This is the best reason so far.

But it still doesn't explain why the floor is set on fire every time he uses his super-intuition.

#18 Edited by AndrewB (7686 posts) -

@scalpel said:

Do you remember all of the past Hitman games where Agent 47 had access to an overhead map of every single floor of a building as well as every living being, the direction they were facing, and the precise location of his target, all moving about in real time?

Did you ever question that?

#19 Posted by Mikey2D (219 posts) -

I'm pretty sure I read that on the harder difficulty settings, abilities such as these are removed. Perhaps look into that?

#20 Edited by ProfessorEss (7469 posts) -

I was a little put off when I saw this in the quicklook too.

Not enough to upset about it but it did seem strange.

#21 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

he's on McAfee bath salts™

#22 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

His bald shiny head, polished to a fine degree in a bowling alley, reflects the Higgs Boson particle and constantly scans for disturbances in the force.

#23 Posted by YOU_DIED (703 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

He's in a video game. Also he's got mad instincts. Which is better justified than the all powerful map.

This. In all of the previous games you had a map that showed the location of every NPC in the level, so I don't know why this (of all things) is breaking your suspension of disbelief.

#24 Posted by huser (1097 posts) -

@AndrewB said:

@scalpel said:

Do you remember all of the past Hitman games where Agent 47 had access to an overhead map of every single floor of a building as well as every living being, the direction they were facing, and the precise location of his target, all moving about in real time?

Given the context of the question, entirely possible the poster hasn't played any other Hitman.

#25 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5152 posts) -

He is a direct descendent of Ezio.

#26 Posted by FritzDude (2279 posts) -
#27 Posted by alternate (2719 posts) -

He is a ghost. This was all explained in Blood Money.

#28 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

He's Superman.

#29 Posted by Castiel (2704 posts) -

It's a vidjagame!

#30 Posted by scalpel (314 posts) -

@huser said:

@AndrewB said:

@scalpel said:

Given the context of the question, entirely possible the poster hasn't played any other Hitman.

Correct, I haven't.

#31 Posted by Sil3n7 (1198 posts) -

Because video games.

#32 Posted by Ghostiet (5289 posts) -

@scalpel said:

The reason is actually extremely prosaic. When IO was playtesting, they've reached a point where the AI got so complicated it was hard to do it effectively, so they came up with Batman vision to test shit. Then it turned into a gameplay mechanic, because why not.

#33 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6401 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

Dude, imagine if they had a mash-up video game. Imagine the co-op........

#34 Posted by Demoskinos (15107 posts) -

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

@Demoskinos said:

...imagine...the erotic fanfiction.

#35 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6401 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

@Demoskinos said:

...imagine...the erotic fanfiction.

I'm not saying that I'm going to go write Batman/Hitman fan fiction but let's just say that there might be some incidentally erotic, comic book-style fan fiction that I'll be conjuring up.

#36 Edited by johnaze (73 posts) -

It's instead of the ability to see all guards, targets and objectives on a map on easier difficulties of the previous Hitman games. It's turned off at harder difficulty settings.

Also, this:

@FritzDude said:

#37 Posted by s10129107 (1193 posts) -

Obviously the barcode was there to suppress his psychic powers.

#38 Posted by mordukai (7184 posts) -

Because of Space Muffins.

#39 Posted by UberExplodey (948 posts) -

@FritzDude said:

/thread

#40 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1467 posts) -

@scalpel said:

@Brodehouse: This is the best reason so far.

But it still doesn't explain why the floor is set on fire every time he uses his super-intuition.

A trail of fire? Fire is bad? You don't want to be near fire? It's just an aesthetic choice that goes a step further than just "red stuff is bad". Like others have said, you can just turn all that stuff off. All of those "instinct" stuff is just to help those new to the series have an easier time with understanding the game.

#41 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

Radioactive spider.

#42 Posted by Aetheldod (3682 posts) -

@Klei said:

@scalpel said:

Because 2012's gamers sucks at video games. They like to be held by the hand and carried through the game. They like their games easy. Today, you just don't make a hard game without offering a large and very comprehensible tutorial for the average dim-wit. Unless you've got balls and have From Software at your bidding, You don't want instinct mode? Ramp up the difficulty.

This ... altho good to know that it can be disabled (if I ever wish to play this game ... never been a Hitman fan)

#43 Posted by Butano (1774 posts) -

It's better than having to "pause" the game to look at the dynamic map in my opinion, even if it is a well done modified version of Batman's Detective Mode.

#44 Posted by Hunkulese (2840 posts) -

She mentions why is the tutorial level but it can be pretty much summed up by "This dude is badass"

#45 Posted by Creamypies (4088 posts) -

If you let things like this bother you, then you must be a very miserable gamer. Why does there need to be a reason for every mechanic?

Funny how things like this bother people, yet the fact Agent 47 changes into disguises INSTANTANEOUSLY is perfectly fine. Or the fact that 47 can hide a bunch of extremely large items in his suit without any visual indication that they're there.

It's a videogame, get over it.

#46 Posted by George_Hukas (1317 posts) -

@Creamypies: This is like complaining about an in-game map.. "How does my character have such extensive knowledge of his surroundings?!"

#47 Posted by fox01313 (5088 posts) -

This was a bit odd looking to me too, I can see the instinct mode going to pretty much line of sight on knowing where everyone is at in a highlighted yellow (without a gadget) but through the walls where you might not be hearing someone is a little far fetched. Still excited to play it & just will have to have this stuck in my brain as a slight annoying thing until I get over it.

#48 Posted by gaminghooligan (1478 posts) -

In one of the pre-release videos they give it a sort of AC like vibe and the narrator says the the instinct mode it their way of allowing you to tap into 47's training as a master assassin. The guy is after all kind of like Batman, he's trained from birth to be a perfect killer, so it fits in that they would want to convey how he sees the world to the player. However purist mode has nothing UI related, and is awesomely difficult if that's more your style.

#49 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@scalpel: These things you see are "his instincts". He knows that stuff because he was trained since his birth to kill. He studied about architecture, security and psychology to the point where he can sucefully predict where the guards are going to patrol. He sees it as fire because fire is bad, and going into the middle of a guard's trail is bad too, so he learned that in training. He doesn't actually sees trough walls, but due to his intense training, he can predict where people are, because after all, he's the eprfect assassin.  I think this is the official excuse, sorry about any typos.
#50 Posted by RedLeader (38 posts) -

Science.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.