Why they don't show the clothes changing

#1 Posted by AssInAss (2547 posts) -

Some people still ask why as the budget and graphics keep on getting better, why not show 47 changing clothes in some painstaking animation rather than just as a jump cut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yXzQutmLrRs#t=5m43s

That should explain why, in a funny way.

I thought it was super obvious, do you want to see a long drawn-out animation that not only is pointless but also could ruin your stealth time if you're being close to being detected? It's just a better decision for the player to get right back into playing the game.

#2 Posted by Rainbowkisses (472 posts) -

I always thought that was a stupid complaint. I guess they could just fade out but that seems unnecessary.

#3 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2990 posts) -

It is a stupid, minor complaint, but it's not wrong to want something more elegant in these days of super-realism. Movies solved the change clothes fast problem 80 some years ago, and I've never understood why games don't do it the same way. It doesn't have to be long or drawn out at all.

In the 3-5 seconds it takes 47 to crouch down, fiddle over nothing with the body, stand back up and suddenly change appearance they could cut 2-3 canned cameras together: 1) 47 bends down over the body 2) enemy body with no clothes 3) 47 putting the final touches on (i.e. hat on his head, straightening tie, cuff links, etc).

#4 Posted by Glottery (1117 posts) -

@GERALTITUDE said:

In the 3-5 seconds it takes 47 to crouch down, fiddle over nothing with the body, stand back up and suddenly change appearance they could cut 2-3 canned cameras together: 1) 47 bends down over the body 2) enemy body with no clothes 3) 47 putting the final touches on (i.e. hat on his head, straightening tie, cuff links, etc).

Something like this would be a nice feature, though option to disable it should also be included, because it would most likely get tiresome at some point...

#5 Posted by yoshisaur (2667 posts) -

In the end the developers could easily fix this sort of minor deficiency, but at the same time I feel dirty wanting them to. It's such a small, OCD, detail.

#6 Posted by Abendlaender (2768 posts) -

Who cares?

#7 Posted by SASnake (313 posts) -

@GERALTITUDE said:

It is a stupid, minor complaint, but it's not wrong to want something more elegant in these days of super-realism. Movies solved the change clothes fast problem 80 some years ago, and I've never understood why games don't do it the same way. It doesn't have to be long or drawn out at all.

Hitman? Super realism? baahahaha...seriously though, having to stand and watch a guy change clothes would get boring, really fast, specially if someones play style is to change all the time.

#8 Posted by JasonR86 (9611 posts) -

I never want to meet or talk to a person who would complain about this.

#9 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2204 posts) -
@JasonR86 yeah seriously. Having to see that animation over and over again would get annoying. Same thing happened with Res Dead Redemption whenever you skinned animals. I'm sure the vast majority of people wouldn't want that at all.
#10 Posted by Undeadpool (4913 posts) -

Same reason all RPG characters post-sprites sleep on top of the covers: fabric is probably the third most annoying thing to render convincingly (behind water and fire).

Besides that: anyone who seriously complains about something like this is the EXACT kind of person that would complain that a painstaking clothing-change animation would be too long and tedious and "OH MY GOOOOD, WHY DID THE CHAAAAANGE IT?! THIS SUUUUUUUCKS!"

#11 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

@Oscar__Explosion said:

Having to see that animation over and over again would get annoying. Same thing happened with Res Dead Redemption whenever you skinned animals. I'm sure the vast majority of people wouldn't want that at all.

Then give 47 a horse to park near the body to skip the animation and everyone's happy!

#12 Posted by Christoffer (1762 posts) -

@Undeadpool said:

Same reason all RPG characters post-sprites sleep on top of the covers: fabric is probably the third most annoying thing to render convincingly (behind water and fire).

Besides that: anyone who seriously complains about something like this is the EXACT kind of person that would complain that a painstaking clothing-change animation would be too long and tedious and "OH MY GOOOOD, WHY DID THE CHAAAAANGE IT?! THIS SUUUUUUUCKS!"

That's true, most games just cut away from anything regarding cloth models being handled. I was actually amazed with AC: Brotherhood where you got to see Ezio taking off a boot before taking a bath (offcourse that was it and the rest was off camera, still impressing).

#13 Posted by Trains (134 posts) -

Are you trying to tell us something? ;)

#14 Posted by DJJoeJoe (1321 posts) -

Yea it would be neat to get some quick jump cut scenes of 47 pulling some pants up, fitting an arm into a jacket/shirt then slapping on a hat. All within the normal time it takes to do the usual bend down and up thingy. Would have to have it be in-game to account for each outfit, and have unique models for 47 for each piece of each outfit maybe even a few per piece of each outfit even... kinda a lot of work. Whatever. Video Games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.