Your early impressions?

• 125 results
#101 Posted by jimmyfenix (3816 posts) -

alex n - Hitman review later today. In short, I liked it, but longtime fans should probably manage expectations. It's different, still fun.

#102 Posted by zungerman090 (311 posts) -
#103 Posted by cannonballBAM (579 posts) -

This made me wanna pick it up.

#104 Posted by zungerman090 (311 posts) -

@kishinfoulux: Also, PC Gamer added something to their rather scathing review. There was a patch that fixed most of the problems with earlier build.

#105 Posted by glyn (382 posts) -

All Hitman needed was a little cinematics and direction and story. Not a completely different fucking game!!!!!!!!!!

#106 Posted by Demoskinos (14523 posts) -

Alex is going off on twitter about Hitman. Seems like he really enjoyed it for the most part.

#107 Posted by themangalist (1716 posts) -

hmmmm... there are critics who loved it but it seems to me they don't expect it to be an updated and improved Blood Money but rather a new stealth game. The new stealth mechanics sound just fine, I'd love to play any hitman with those improvements, i just think it purely is the level designs that would disappoint me.

@Yummylee: Have you finished the game yet? Final thoughts?

#108 Posted by BisonHero (6055 posts) -

@themangalist said:

hmmmm... there are critics who loved it but it seems to me they don't expect it to be an updated and improved Blood Money but rather a new stealth game. The new stealth mechanics sound just fine, I'd love to play any hitman with those improvements, i just think it purely is the level designs that would disappoint me.

@Yummylee: Have you finished the game yet? Final thoughts?

Even treating it as a "new" stealth game, it sounds like its environments are smaller than those found in something like Deus Ex: HR or Dishonored, to say nothing of how Hitman used to be the king of large stealth levels.

Basically, for people who bitched about Deus Ex: HR, saying that they turned it into a corridor-based stealth game (which is hyperbole), the Rock, Paper, Shotgun review made it sound like they actually ended up doing that with Hitman Absolution.

#109 Edited by Incapability (197 posts) -

I've just started the game, played it for a few hours, and I have just one thing I want to say to y'all:

If you have played this game, or has read a review that said the levels do not have options as to how to complete them, you and/or they are the most unimaginative fucks in the entire world.

I remember one, especially, that said "The Terminus hotel only has one way in, and I get my ass beat when I try using it!"

That person is legally blind, and is hereby permitted a state sponsored guide dog. That is the most bizarre and incorrect piece of information I have ever read.

Ask yourself, are you blind, unimaginative, allergic to fun and/or innovation or just not a person who likes having a good time? Then for the sake of sweet, holy Jesus, don't buy this game.

Do you like being challenged, exploring, poking and prodding at AI's and systems to see how they work together, finding secrets, solving puzzles and having a buttload of fun in the process? Then buy this game, right now. That's right, I said right now, whip out that credit card baby.

One last thing, though: Do you take yourself entirely too seriously? Do you think video games are serious business? Does your blood pressure rise when someone mentions the name "Blood Money"?

Then this isn't for you, in fact, you should probably take a break from this whole Internet-thing. Wait for it to blow over.

TL;DR This game is awesome and you should buy it. If you do not think this game is awesome, you just hate fun. Fact.

#110 Edited by granderojo (1778 posts) -

When I first heard about that hitman review I was pissed, since then I've learned to manage my expectations. It's clearly not like the old hitman games but that's not necessarily the end of the world. Rock Paper Shotgun made it sound like an exploitation film, which I'm not opposed too either.

I'm skeptical, but yeah maybe I'll get it when it's on sale.

#111 Posted by SAC (105 posts) -

@Incapability:

LOL. Great assessment. This is how I thought the reaction to this game has been (especially within this thread). Can't wait to play some of this tomorrow.

#112 Posted by AssInAss (2530 posts) -

Playing on Expert difficulty. Suit Only stealth for the Greenhouse part of Personal Contract is insane. Be sure to always have an object to distract at ready.

I'm liking it so far. Haven't had trouble with disguises on first run of prologue, and then doing suit only run for second try on a mission. Great performance for my laptop (ati 5650 mobile) on medium settings, looks gorgeous.

Off to sleep now. Challenges are addictive.

#113 Edited by Yummylee (21208 posts) -

@Incapability said:

I've just started the game, played it for a few hours, and I have just one thing I want to say to y'all:

If you have played this game, or has read a review that said the levels do not have options as to how to complete them, you and/or they are the most unimaginative fucks in the entire world.

I remember one, especially, that said "The Terminus hotel only has one way in, and I get my ass beat when I try using it!"

That person is legally blind, and is hereby permitted a state sponsored guide dog. That is the most bizarre and incorrect piece of information I have ever read.

Ask yourself, are you blind, unimaginative, allergic to fun and/or innovation or just not a person who likes having a good time? Then for the sake of sweet, holy Jesus, don't buy this game.

Do you like being challenged, exploring, poking and prodding at AI's and systems to see how they work together, finding secrets, solving puzzles and having a buttload of fun in the process? Then buy this game, right now. That's right, I said right now, whip out that credit card baby.

One last thing, though: Do you take yourself entirely too seriously? Do you think video games are serious business? Does your blood pressure rise when someone mentions the name "Blood Money"?

Then this isn't for you, in fact, you should probably take a break from this whole Internet-thing. Wait for it to blow over.

TL;DR This game is awesome and you should buy it. If you do not think this game is awesome, you just hate fun. Fact.

...Cocaine, it's a Hell of a drug.

@themangalist: Haven't completed it no. It's a pretty lengthy game and I've been playing it in relatively short bursts. Though I have reached that 50s style mission they advertised a while back, which isn't actually some time-travel-laden twist, it's just the gang you're meant to assassinate all have a dated fashion sense. And it's totally a Hitman mission; it's really open from what I explored, with what looks like a wealth of possibilities. Which then makes it all the more infuriating as to why there's no overview map or that you can't save manually.

#114 Edited by SoloReX (59 posts) -

Squeenix representative: "Mina-san! Board of directors command: You have to put american wrestring, is hoogery popurar. Also more sexy: please put naughty nuns. No, board of directors, no say please, board of directors command!"

#115 Posted by kishinfoulux (2250 posts) -

I'm glad some people are enjoying it despite what RPS said. People seem to love them, but they tend to come off as condescending assholes to me. *shrugs*

Anyways enjoying the game. Looks fantastic. Question though. After you complete a level you are shown various things you could've done or picked up (like weapons you may have missed, disguises, and methods to assassinate the target). I have tried replaying levels and taking out the target in a different fashion yet that screen never seems to update the new killing method. It WILL update any new weapons or costumes I've found, but not the actual killing method. Is it supposed to be like that or is it a glitch or something?

#116 Posted by Butano (1728 posts) -

Yea, I've been enjoying the hell out of it. Surprised at how well it runs at medium settings on my 9800GTX+. Pretty constant 40-60 frames, though for some reasons each time 47 goes through one of those "level change doors" it hiccups.

The weird sectioning of the levels is a little odd at first (and quite a bit smaller than previous games), but it's very much a Hitman game. The first target you get in Chinatown alone has at least 5 ways to do him in.

#117 Posted by Karkarov (2942 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

@MikeGosot: On Normal mode, even with the batman vision turned off (though I can still use instinct for hints such as pointing out key items), not really no.

Eh I am playing on "hard" and just did a mission where it straight up said no one spotted me and I still didn't get it. A lot of the lack of challenge complaints are people playing on normal or easy, trust me, hard is not easy if you actually want to get through a level without EVER being seen at all. Disguises are almost useless, I can be spotted in less than 5 seconds, you don't point shoot because even with a full meter you will get off 2 shots, tops, your meter also blows out fast. Like... using it to pass two guys while disguised in a hallway will eat 30-50% of it. Not to mention that but "guards" are freaking everywhere. In the Chinatown mission you can't throw a rock without hitting a cop even in the middle of the street near 0 objectives.

I don't even want to think about how tricky parts could get if you simply turn intuition off, which can be done on the higher difficulties.

#118 Edited by Yummylee (21208 posts) -

@Karkarov: Yeah, you're right. I switched to Hard from the hospital segment onward and I'm no longer receiving Silent Assassin ranks one after another. Though I do really dislike how unreliable disguises are now, plus there's no indicator on your minimap that shows which areas could be considered ''trespassing''. Ordinarily that's fine, but thing is as soon as you enter there and there's someone around who knows you shouldn't, you're instantaneously ''spotted'' and it's resulted in a lot of unnecessary trial and error as I accidentally stumbled upon restricted areas, or if I want to test whether or not this outfit I'm wearing will allow me to travel through there only to receive a score penalty.

Overall Hitman Absolution's fine and I'm enjoying it enough (messing around in the Bar and Gun store levels was really fun), but there are so many little gripes I have with this game scattered all around.

#119 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

Hitman newb coming through: PC version is fine. Running 4GB RAM, i5, and Radeon 6750. Medium settings is always above 35FPS. Looks GREAT.

As for the game, I love it. It's incredibly dense, and although I've not played any other Hitman games, I can say that it's some of the best stealth this year. Mark of the Ninja might beat it, but it's a totally different thing (2D is just easier to do). Dishonoured is not on the same level.

#120 Posted by Sackmanjones (4650 posts) -

I've been enjoying it but hard is...well hard. You really need to use your instinct to just get by people in a disguise. I've done lots of trial and error and constantly restarting and that's what Hitman is. Sure, the environments are smaller and some even kind of have a linear path but that's alright.

Playing on pc with everything all the way up except the msaa which I was advised to turn off. Runs between 40 & 60 and looks really pretty.

Overall what Yumylee said has been true. It's a different Hitman game but it's still fun

#121 Posted by ThunderSlash (1514 posts) -

Ive played up to the 3rd Mission (Terminus Hotel?) so far on Hard. I like it. Although there are some weird design choices.

What I like so far:

- The points meter on the top left corner. Leaves some transparencies on how the game calculates your final score. The leaderboard thing is pretty cool too.

- Disguises are less overpowered than in Blood Money. It kinda feels like they are going back to how Silent Assassin did it, except in Silent Assassin the AI almost always saw through your disguises if you hang around too long. This can be a bad thing however.

- Getting caught does not mean every guard in the map going to where you are at and shooting at you.

- Instinct is cool, highlights anything that can be interacted with. And the fire trail showing the AI's patrol paths is useful.

- The crowd tech is impressive.

- The shooting feels nicer than the previous games.

- The little challenges and collectibles for each level is cool. Gives the game a bit of replayability.

What I don't like so far:

- The dynamic map showing all the dudes in the map is gone. I kinda feel like Instinct is supposed to replace it, but I don't find is as useful as the map. Seeing through the walls is not as useful as knowing where the AI is exactly on the map.

- Loadouts. At least at the point I'm at, I can't pick my loadout at the beginning. I usually go in with the bare minimum, but having a sniper along gives you new ways to take out the target.

- Speaking of loadouts, you can't buy intel anymore. I always liked to buy every single intel so that I have an idea of the key areas in a level.

- Instinct is too heavily relied upon when using disguises. When you are at the far end of a room, the guys with the same outfit as you will still suspect you. This forces you to expend Instinct. Also walking around as a guard (usually the most prominent of the enemy types) becomes an Instinct-fest as guards are EVERYWHERE.

- Not a fan of the checkpointing system. The previous games lets you decide when to save, giving you a limited amount of soft saves in a level depending on difficulty. In this one you'll have to look for one-use "save" points kinda like the original Tomb Raider on the PS1.

- The AI is still dumb enough to be exploited like in the past games.

- I miss the newspaper headlines from the last game.

- Lack of whitebread.

- Where is his bird?!

I'm not far enough in the game to make a final judgment, but I like it so far. Haven't run into any of the pure stealth missions yet either, but I feel like I might be nearing one.

#122 Posted by Rainbowkisses (472 posts) -
#123 Posted by ThunderSlash (1514 posts) -

@Rainbowkisses said:

@ThunderSlash said:

- Where is his bird?!

Agent 47 killed his bird near the end of Blood Money.

It is 48 seconds into the video

Awwwwwwwwwww 47 you heartless SOB... I never realized that.

#124 Posted by Demoskinos (14523 posts) -

Still awaiting my copy to arrive. GAWD DAMN UPS GUY. GET HERE. =(

#125 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Karkarov: Damn. I'll probably play on normal, because i like to fuck around, but it's good to hear that the challenge exists.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.