Which Hitman game to buy?

#1 Posted by Hunkulese (2723 posts) -

So the Hitman series is the 75% off steam sale today and I've always been kind of interested. Even though there's an 80% chance I'll never play it I was thinking about buying one of them for $2.50.

I think I've heard that Blood Money is the best but would anyone recommend Silent Assassin or Codename 47.

#2 Edited by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -

Blood Money. But the first Hitman is quite good too.

Edit: For more explanation, I've written an analysis of the first game here.

#3 Posted by AndrewB (7614 posts) -

Blood Money is the most playable. The rest are somewhat a relic of their times. Hitman 2 probably fares better. Don't get me wrong, they're all great games, but I think you should start with Blood Money.

#4 Posted by The_Ruiner (1056 posts) -

2 and Blood Money

#5 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

Blood Money.

#6 Posted by Akyho (1647 posts) -

1 is a great game, however due to ancient gameplay rules iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiits haaaaard. Silent assain is a weird out of character story, decent gameplay. I dont favour it. Contracts is a weird set up. Its silent assasin gameplay with some strange maps. Some I figure can only be completed by running and gunning.

Blood money is absolutely perfect as a hitman game. I figure its the truest sequel aside from the story elements from Contracts? that has you kill Doctor ortmier and wipe out the clones.

Codname 47 and Bloodmoney are what i recommend.

#7 Posted by FritzDude (2263 posts) -

All of them. But if you can only choose one Hitman 2: Silent Assassin is a good pick.

#8 Posted by Winternet (8019 posts) -

@Hunkulese: Do not buy the first game. Don't. That ship has sailed. Blood Money is definitely the one to go now. And if you enjoy it, then Hitman 2 is recommended. Hitman 3, only if you really liked the 2nd one.

#9 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

Blood Money is probably the only one that holds up at all. It was also the best one, so that's cool.

#11 Posted by abdo (1037 posts) -

Blood Money

#12 Posted by TheHT (11262 posts) -

Hitman 2 is great, and Contracts is like it.

Blood Money is the best though.

BTW, Contracts takes place between two missions from Blood Money.

#13 Posted by Packie (255 posts) -

Blood Motherfucking Money.

#14 Posted by SlashDance (1815 posts) -

@The_Ruiner said:

2 and Blood Money

#15 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

I've only played Blood Money, but it's awesome.

#16 Posted by Kedi2 (248 posts) -

Blood Money and 2 are the best. Blood Money is probably the way to go if you're only buying one since it will hold up better than the older games.

#17 Posted by Mister_V (1285 posts) -

Blood Money is an excellent game,

I played a bit of it again recently and apart from some janky physics and character models it holds up pretty well.

#18 Posted by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1530 posts) -

They are all worth playing but Blood Money is the masterpiece of the series. So well done.

#19 Posted by HarlechQuinn (449 posts) -

I enjoyed them all, "Contracts" being the weakest in my book. As you want to purchase only one, I would say go for "Blood Money" as it is the one which holds up the best.

On a side note, all the Jesper Kyd soundtracks for the Hitman series are really awesome.

#20 Posted by Ksaw (343 posts) -

Blood Money is great, but having played it recently, I'd have to say it's starting to show it's age. Just keep that in mind. There's also a lot of cool levels in Contracts, but some of them are taken from the first game so it can be kind of confusing.

#21 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I played Blood Money for the first time last summer and had a lot of fun with it. So buy that one.

#22 Posted by mellotronrules (1192 posts) -

just thought i'd bump this thread as it's the steam deal today-

is absolution worth the $17.00 steam is asking for today? or should i pony up just $2.50 for blood money to get my fix?

or should i skip both altogether and finish mark of the ninja?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.