Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Homebrew

Concept »

Homebrew software is a slang term for unofficial software and games for consoles and handhelds which don't generally support it, such as the Wii or Nintendo DS.

Let's Talk - What's Your Opinions on Homebrew, For or Against?

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel

Morning you fools, I was going to title this "Yo Bitches, Why The Fuck You Homebrew and Shit, You Whores?", but due to the new TOS I'm not allowed to.  Alas, I'm stuck spending most the time thinking of how to put the title in proper words. 

Anyways, with every console in market now able to run homebrew code...how does it make you feel?  Recently (last year), Apple tried to take them to court over the iPhone jailbreak and they got their asses handed to them.  Now in America, homebrewing on your mobile is perfectly legal.  The same will happen to Sony's console.   

I was surfing the internet and saw some very high and mighty users saying "HOMEBREW IS FOR CHEATERS and FOR PIRATES", I had to wonder if they knew what homebrew was.  Sure you can run backups, which in turn can run any .iso file of the disc, but you can also run Chrome, SNES, rarer video formats, etc.  Plus you can give yourself a sweeter media center. 

So let's talk my friends, how do you feel about homebrew?  Have you had any experiences with it?  I use my PSP for mostly SNES stuff, I won't lie.  Once the PS3 stuff gets stable, I shall put it on there too so I can play some SNES goodness on the perfect gaming controller ever.   

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Fallen189

I love it. It means I can download roms of games without having to keep a snes around and shit like that. Sure, I use it for "Piracy", and so do many other people, but until a more elegant solution is out there, there's not much I can be arsed doing. 

tl;dr- it's dope

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Spoonman671

I don't see the point in homebrew on consoles.  Isn't that kind of what PCs are for?

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Spoonman671: What happens when you want to play Chrono Trigger and can't do it because your SNES is at your parent's home and you're too lazy to boot up the PC, and you'd much rather want to play on the couch.
    ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ninjakiller

Homebrew is the shit.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Fallen189
    @Spoonman671 said:
    " I don't see the point in homebrew on consoles.  Isn't that kind of what PCs are for? "
    Controlling snes games on a keyboard is horse shit. Esp if you dont have a wired 360 pad.
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Andorski

I always defined homebrew as running non-commercial software products on hardware that was not specifically built to do such things.  In that case, there is no reason to be against homebrew.  The problem is that the process in getting a machine to run homebrew is usually the same process to run pirated games and hacks on existing software.  There is where I take some sort of stance against it.  Backing up your games should be a consumer's right, but this right is completely abused in arguments with people who just blatantly steal.  So I think it's at the very least understandable why publishers take measures to prevent people from pirating their game.  Taking your position on whether or not DRM practices are okay for publishers to employ is deciding who should get screwed: consumers who want to use the product to their own discretion or publishers who want every copy of their product to be rightfully paid for.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jack268
    @Spoonman671 said:
    " I don't see the point in homebrew on consoles.  Isn't that kind of what PCs are for? "
    I assume some people just want to be able to tow away their N64, SNES etc. and play those games on their Wii instead, since the Wii doesn't take nearly as much space. 

That said, I only have CFW on my PSP as a homebrew platform, and mostly so I can dump ISOs on it so I don't have to lug all those UMDs around and it's more silent. It also improves the support for PS1 games(but I don't have any :< ) and lets me play my GBC games with backlighting on a screen that isn't fucked up. It's just fantastic in my opinion. I can see why people don't want it though, piracy on the PSP is quite rampant because it's not very hard to hack. It's a sad reality.
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By thatfrood

Homebrewing is fun, easy, and delicious.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Spoonman671
    @KaosAngel:  I don't know, man, I'm pretty lazy and I've never been too lazy to turn on my PC.  In my case my PC is also hooked up to my TV so playing on the couch isn't an issue to me.

I don't care if people do it, I just don't really see the value in it for me.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Spoonman671: If that's the case then you're solid.  Most people don't have computers hooked up to their TVs and you could always plug in the 360 controller.  But your SNES emulator is homebrew so it's all good.  You use it!  :D
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By ch13696

I'll admit. All my consoles are hacked in order to do this. I also like the convenience of having everything I own just on one HDD. Right now I have a 1.5TB HDD and putting all my PS3 games on there and my movies. So there's nothing wrong with homebrew at all. As long as you use it for legitimate reasons and for your own personal use, meaning don't ruin other people's experience, then there is nothing wrong.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By ch13696
    @Spoonman671 said:
    " @KaosAngel:  I don't know, man, I'm pretty lazy and I've never been too lazy to turn on my PC.  In my case my PC is also hooked up to my TV so playing on the couch isn't an issue to me.  I don't care if people do it, I just don't really see the value in it for me. "
    But, wouldn't that be the same excuse as why buy a console when you have a PC?
    smitty86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By smitty86

I honestly know little to nothing about Hombrew due to me not really being that into mods and the like. But it seems cool. I think the reason you will get mostly yelling against it is just that people will always hate things that come with more vocalized issues than vocalized benefits. So with Homebrew always being thrown into the mix for the whole ps3 v. hackers crap, most people are going to say fuck those that use Homebrew. I can't blame them though. Hackers saying they are hacking b/c ps3 is against modding is a piss poor excuse to "rage" against sony and possibly ruin stuff for everyone else.

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By EdIsCool

As a Games Development Student in my final year it's fun to be able to write DS games, even if the homebrewed SDK is a bit crappy. I'm pro homebrew.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.