Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Homefront: The Revolution

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 17, 2016

The sequel to Kaos Studios' 2011 shooter debuts an open-world and a Korean-occupied Philadelphia amid resistance.

Homefront: The Revolution Announced (PS4, Xbox One)

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    No Caption Provided

Current generation exclusive sequel to Homefront set in Philadelphia. It is an open world game featuring co-op play.

Via Joystiq:

Taking place four years into the occupation of the US by Korean forces – as portrayed in the original game – Homefront: The Revolution follows a new set of characters as they battle for freedom throughout the war-torn streets of Philadelphia.

By recruiting resistance fighters and using guerilla tactics in an open-world environment, players can terrorize KPA troops and attempt to gain the upper hand either alone or along with friends in online co-op.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By nightriff

Is the first one really that bad?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#3  Edited By BeachThunder

@nightriff said:

No. It's not great, but it's certainly better than a lot of other linear modern military shooters.

Also, this looks like some Crytek-ass Crytek. Hopefully this is closer to Crysis than Homefront 1 though. But really, this gives me Half-Life 2 vibe.

Also wake up sheeple.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Could be cool.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

@nightriff said:

No. It wasn't great, but it's certainly better than a lot of other linear modern military shooters.

Also, this looks like some Crytek-ass Crytek. Hopefully this is closer to Crysis than Homefront 1 though. But really, this gives me Half-Life 2 vibe.

Also wake up sheeple.

The thing is, there was no reason to play its multiplayer, so for most people, the value proposition of $60 for five hours of gameplay doesn't add up. It wasn't aggressively bad or anything, but I sure don't remember much about its story beyond the implausible setup.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By musubi
    No Caption Provided

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I don't understand why. The Homefront brand is worth dirt nothing, they might as well have called it The Cryvolution and called it a day.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Nux

Hmmm, this is kinda surprising. I didn't think the first Homefront got a good reception.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yawn...

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Oh, right. I forgot that this was in the works.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#11 chaser324  Moderator

Well, Deep Silver owns the IP, so I guess they might as well use it. Regardless of how the first Homefront turned out, the concept of a land invasion in the US is generic enough to not restrict a developer and still fertile ground for a game (FREEDOM FIGHTERS 2 - WHY HASN'T IT HAPPENED?!)

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#12 riostarwind  Moderator

Well since they bought the IP it makes sense to make a game with it. Let's see if they can make a better game this time.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Vinny_Says

Well they sure as shit ain't making a Freedom Fighters 2 so this will have to do I guess.

FeverChill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I actually didn't mind Homefront, just kind of a short forgettable game, I'll probably play this one though.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@chaser324: Somehow they got the idea that people would rather have more Hitman? I'm not sure who they got this idea from. It sure as hell wasn't me.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least we know Vinny's next game for Gamefly.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By pyrodactyl

@veektarius said:

@chaser324: Somehow they got the idea that people would rather have more Hitman? I'm not sure who they got this idea from. It sure as hell wasn't me.

I would rather play a good hitman game than just about anything else. Too bad the last time they made blend ass stealth game #316 with pretty graphix instead. Hopefully they won't make the same mistake twice?

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18  Edited By me3639

No matter what, they will make sick money off this because i think they snatched the rights for only $500,000.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, Deep Silver are stepping it up. I hadn't heard of them a year ago, now it feels like I'm seeing them everywhere.

Having said that, not super excited about this. I'm kind of done with Crytek style FPS's

Bobbyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If there aren't any mass graves that I can press X to hide in then count me out

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Really? This is getting a sequel? Really?

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

another next gen game coming out about militarized police.....hooray.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23  Edited By Seppli

Nope. Not interested. If they had dropped all their story aspirations, and focused squarly on making a Battlefield competitor out of their multiplayer, which sounded promising the first time around, I might have given a damn.

The scenario was somewhat interesting before, but now it seems to have progressed too far down this alternate history to still be relatable. If it isn't relatable, they could just as well have come up with an all new sci-fi setting or something, rather sticking with rather unappealing vision of the US being occupied by North Korea. So silly.

Oh well. I guess Battlefield will go unopposed for yet another year - which is odd for a franchise that sells up 15 million units routinely.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How did they explain North Korea (I'm assuming when they refer to Korean forces) becoming powerful enough to overtake the US in the original game? I could never get over the implausibility of that.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Where's my Binary Domain sequel.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, Deep Silver are stepping it up. I hadn't heard of them a year ago, now it feels like I'm seeing them everywhere.

You just weren't paying attention a year ago.

@cmblasko Yup, the concept of a country that has a population of 25 million somehow managing to invade, conquer, and then occupy a country with a population of 320 million is probably the most entertaining thing about this franchise.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By awesomeusername

@cmblasko: @creepingdeath0: They explain what happens in the intro to the game. YouTube link. It's just shy of 3 minutes so it isn't long.

another next gen game coming out about militarized police.....hooray.

Police? No, no, no. It's the Korean army fighting civilian rebels yo.

Well, Deep Silver owns the IP, so I guess they might as well use it. Regardless of how the first Homefront turned out, the concept of a land invasion in the US is generic enough to not restrict a developer and still fertile ground for a game (FREEDOM FIGHTERS 2 - WHY HASN'T IT HAPPENED?!)

Actually, Crytek owns the rights. Deep Silver is publishing.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By falserelic

Don't really know how this will turnout. I enjoyed the online portion of Homefront, but overall the game didn't really have anything special about it. I hope the devs adds something interesting to the gameplay...Wait a minute. I don't even have my ps4 at the moment. I did give it to sony hoping to get a new one (Since I didn't have the receipt). Its no point for me to talk about games that I can't play at the moment.

If Sony doesn't give me a new ps4, then Xone it is.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Open world free roam 'style' co-op is rumored and could make this a lot of fun. And Homefront wasn't terrible at all...the sp was competent and the mp was too, when it ran correctly(my biggest problem w/the game).

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cmblasko said:

How did they explain North Korea (I'm assuming when they refer to Korean forces) becoming powerful enough to overtake the US in the original game? I could never get over the implausibility of that.

Communism. Also Asian Magick compressed into a satellite of unreasonable capability. I wish I were joking.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Meh

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Homefront. The campaign was fully competent if not boring and the multiplayer was really fun. That said, I don't think I'll ever understand why Crytek bought the IP rather than making their own. There isn't anything special about Homefront, they could've just made another "America gets invaded by *insert country here*" series and it wouldn't change anything.

But whatever. That trailer looks pretty and I like Crytek so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Hmm I never played the first one strictly because everyone was very "meh" about it which to me is the most damning thing you can say, boring is the worst possible outcome for entertainment value.

And while that cutscene looked nice the E3 showing will tell if this is anything worth getting excited about.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SomberOwl

Free roaming sandbox FPS. 4 player co-op. I'm interested.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Homefront. The campaign was fully competent if not boring and the multiplayer was really fun. That said, I don't think I'll ever understand why Crytek bought the IP rather than making their own. There isn't anything special about Homefront, they could've just made another "America gets invaded by *insert country here*" series and it wouldn't change anything.

But whatever. That trailer looks pretty and I like Crytek so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

I think it came down to the fact that Crytek was working on the game for THQ when THQ went under, and so they just paid the cost to acquire the IP so that they could finish the game with otherwise minimal hassle.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

They're continuing with dumb alternate future? Okay. But then they should go all out with the stupidity. Like Kim Jong Un revives Jong Il and he gets a mech suit. Kim Jong Il then kills Kim Jong Un and he becomes Supreme Leader again. End of chapter 1.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hailinel

@shortbreadtom said:

You just weren't paying attention a year ago.

@cmblasko Yup, the concept of a country that has a population of 25 million somehow managing to invade, conquer, and then occupy a country with a population of 320 million is probably the most entertaining thing about this franchise.

Let's not forget the fact that the military of this 25 million-strong nation is also using equipment that's been outdated for decades and barely has the means to feed its soldiers.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

how exactly did North Korean become alien sci fi tech?

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

meh

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BisonHero

Can we agree that the box art is pretty dumb? I'm tired of those face scarf things, and dude's pose is ridiculous.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.