All Homefront DLC To Hit Xbox 360 First

• 80 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

At THQ’s event in New York this morning, the publisher unveiled that Microsoft has secured the “exclusively first” rights to all DLC for THQ's upcoming shooter Homefront. Additionally, the Xbox 360 will be home to a platform-exclusive map on launch day called "Suburbs."  

This is all according to a re-tweet from Major Nelson via a Destructoid editor currently braving the weather in order to bring us, the people, the hottest video game scoops. Sadly, no other details about the first chunk of exclusive DLC, or even Suburbs, have been released. "Inside Xbox," the promotional program available on Xbox Live, gets the honor of spilling the first bit of solid intel.  

Minus the platform-exclusive map, this is a routine deal between Microsoft and other third-party publishers. Most Call of Duty DLC, for example, comes to the Xbox 360 first before being released on other platforms.

Homefront hits March 8 on the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC.
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

At THQ’s event in New York this morning, the publisher unveiled that Microsoft has secured the “exclusively first” rights to all DLC for THQ's upcoming shooter Homefront. Additionally, the Xbox 360 will be home to a platform-exclusive map on launch day called "Suburbs."  

This is all according to a re-tweet from Major Nelson via a Destructoid editor currently braving the weather in order to bring us, the people, the hottest video game scoops. Sadly, no other details about the first chunk of exclusive DLC, or even Suburbs, have been released. "Inside Xbox," the promotional program available on Xbox Live, gets the honor of spilling the first bit of solid intel.  

Minus the platform-exclusive map, this is a routine deal between Microsoft and other third-party publishers. Most Call of Duty DLC, for example, comes to the Xbox 360 first before being released on other platforms.

Homefront hits March 8 on the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC.
#2 Posted by Lolimoto (44 posts) -

Wrong Brad wrote this article

#3 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

God...god damnit. I'm rapidly getting sick of this timed-exclusive crap.

#4 Posted by LordCmdrStryker (346 posts) -

I'm totally fine with this.  I buy all my FPSes on PC anyway.  Suck it, Microsoft and Sony.

#5 Posted by Akeldama (4216 posts) -

When will MS stop pulling this shit and start realizing that timed exclusivity does not stand up to a solid yearly lineup? I feel that whenever they don't have fuck all coming out, they decide to pull shit like this. 

But hey, I'm just a fanboy, right?

#6 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -
@LordCmdrStryker said:
" I'm totally fine with this.  I buy all my FPSes on PC anyway.  Suck it, Microsoft and Sony. "
But....Microsoft is PC.
#7 Posted by LordCmdrStryker (346 posts) -
@benjaebe said:
" @LordCmdrStryker said:
" I'm totally fine with this.  I buy all my FPSes on PC anyway.  Suck it, Microsoft and Sony. "
But....Microsoft is PC. "
No, they're not, dude.  They see exactly zero percent of any PC game purchase I make.
#8 Posted by Wuddel (2057 posts) -

Although I like FPS on my XBox, I think this is utter bullshit. Anyway, I got the gut feeling that Homefront ends up being mediocre anyway.

#9 Posted by TJSmash (83 posts) -
@Lolimoto said:
" Wrong Brad wrote this article "
 it's Wrong Brad's Cool Article for Attractive People
#10 Posted by DemiGodRaven (262 posts) -

Hold on, I think I may need to pick up my jaw from the floor.

#11 Posted by WEGGLES (739 posts) -

Dear game makers: 

This shit sucks. A lot. Stop it. As a non-xbox gamer this turns me off from your product. Is microsofts money worth making 2/3 of the platforms your game is releasing on feel like second fiddle?   

I've gone from moderately interested "I'll pick it up if it reviews well" to "I'll pick it up when it's <$10 on steam".  

Quit this shit. It sucks. 

#12 Posted by Quacktastic (1066 posts) -

So, they use subscription revenue that you pay for a p2p service - to secure the rights to sell you the rest of the game you just bought before someone else who has no effect on you can buy it.  Hooray?

#13 Posted by Zabant (1223 posts) -
@Akeldama said:
" When will MS stop pulling this shit and start realizing that timed exclusivity does not stand up to a solid yearly lineup? I feel that whenever they don't have fuck all coming out, they decide to pull shit like this.   But hey, I'm just a fanboy, right? "
Yep.
#14 Posted by Grissefar (2843 posts) -

I felt like the COD exclusivity was a better deal for MS. This game I don't even know.

#15 Posted by FritzDude (2216 posts) -

More exclusive DLC bullshit. Give me a break...

#16 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -

Does this game look awful or is it just me? 

#17 Posted by MrCellophane (524 posts) -
@TJSmash said:
" @Lolimoto said:
 it's Wrong Brad's Cool Article for Attractive People "
I lol'd hard.
Well played, sir
#18 Posted by chu52 (227 posts) -
@LordCmdrStryker what are you running on your pc? Is it windows?
#19 Posted by MOAB (358 posts) -
@WEGGLES said:
" Dear game makers:  This shit sucks. A lot. Stop it. As a non-xbox gamer this turns me off from your product. Is microsofts money worth making 2/3 of the platforms your game is releasing on feel like second fiddle?    I've gone from moderately interested "I'll pick it up if it reviews well" to "I'll pick it up when it's <$10 on steam".   Quit this shit. It sucks.  "
it's not cool, but i can't imagine one map making a difference. the story is what seems interesting about this game anyway.
#20 Posted by WEGGLES (739 posts) -
@chu52: That doesn't mean MS gets money per game sold...
#21 Posted by SomeJerk (2971 posts) -

The only way your money can go towards the game dept of MS from buying a PC game is that if it uses GFWL which has a license cost attached to it (last I checked anyway) or if you buy it over that GFWL store. Period.

And this blows.

And securing Contra HardCorps exclusivity blows even more.

Fornicate you to the people responsible. It's just as criminal as Boultbee's activities around Europe.

#22 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3321 posts) -
@Akeldama said:
" But hey, I'm just a fanboy, right? "
Yup.
#23 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

Alright, I won't be buying Homefront, then.

#24 Posted by WEGGLES (739 posts) -
@MOAB said:
" @WEGGLES said:
" Dear game makers:  This shit sucks. A lot. Stop it. As a non-xbox gamer this turns me off from your product. Is microsofts money worth making 2/3 of the platforms your game is releasing on feel like second fiddle?    I've gone from moderately interested "I'll pick it up if it reviews well" to "I'll pick it up when it's <$10 on steam".   Quit this shit. It sucks.  "
it's not cool, but i can't imagine one map making a difference. the story is what seems interesting about this game anyway. "
The implication of a moneyhat from Microsoft means more than PC/PS3 getting DLC at the same time and that part of the audience getting to experience it too makes me less than psyched to pay full price.   

They don't are about me, so fuck them.
#25 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -
@WEGGLES said:
" @chu52: That doesn't mean MS gets money per game sold... "
But they still get market penetration and games for their OS that makes it the only real viable OS for people who play PC games, in addition to the fact that many third party publishers sign up for the whole "Games for Windows" program, which is a Microsoft initiative.
#26 Posted by WEGGLES (739 posts) -
@benjaebe:  
Not many games use gfwl, thankfully. I think I have 3 that do. Red Faction Guerilla, GTA4, and Dead Rising 2. The vast majority use Steamworks. 

And I doubt the number of people who use Windows only because it plays games, and no other reason, is that high.
#27 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -
@WEGGLES said:

" @benjaebe:  
Not many games use gfwl, thankfully. I think I have 3 that do. Red Faction Guerilla, GTA4, and Dead Rising 2. The vast majority use Steamworks. 

And I doubt the number of people who use Windows only because it plays games, and no other reason, is that high. "

Behold, a list of Games for Windows titles that is much larger than a list of games that use GFWL. While I'm not sure what kind of money Microsoft sees from it, I'm sure developers have to pay some kind of fee to be certified and included under that brand name and marketing.
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Games_for_Windows_titles
#28 Posted by ObsideonDarman (634 posts) -

This is so bullshit.

#29 Posted by Raven_Sword (3388 posts) -

Its multiplayer, so I dont care. Anyway, I find it funny that MS uses there money for these kind of timed exclusvie map packs and not actual new IPs or Exclusive games.
#30 Posted by DeShawn2ks (1043 posts) -

Wow DLC to a FPS coming to 360 first. That I did not see coming at all. I find this timed exlusive crap for games real stupid. I wonder how much money Sony and MS have to shell out for timed exclusives. Is it even worth it end the end?

#31 Posted by Forsythia (24 posts) -

I'd rather have Microsoft spend that money on a real exclusive game, not this exclusive DLC bullcrap.
#32 Posted by teekomeeko (611 posts) -

So in other words now I'm sure that I'm just gonna rent it.

#33 Posted by umdesch4 (770 posts) -

Well, at least this time they told us *before* the game came out and people bought it for other platforms, unlike, say, a certain Fallout New Vegas I could name. 

Still a crap move that solidifies my decision not to get this game, but at least this time we were forewarned.

#34 Posted by MJHAYLETT (431 posts) -

yup MS have almost no First Party Devs so they gobble up timed DLC. Hence why I love Sony more as they have lots of First Party Devs and therefore more unique games.

#35 Posted by EgoCheck616 (782 posts) -

So they outsourced the PC multiplayer to Digital Extremes only to then provide DLC to the Xbox 360 first. 

This makes very little sense.

#36 Edited by zombie2011 (4941 posts) -
@Zabant said:

" @Akeldama said:

" When will MS stop pulling this shit and start realizing that timed exclusivity does not stand up to a solid yearly lineup? I feel that whenever they don't have fuck all coming out, they decide to pull shit like this.   But hey, I'm just a fanboy, right? "
Yep. "
You couldn't be more wrong they outsell the PS3 in hardware and software every month, sooo somehow timed exclusives are doing way better for MS then a solid lineup is doing for Sony.  

Don't get me wrong though i would much rather have new games then COD map packs a month early, but it seems to be making MS a ton of money so why would they stop?
#37 Posted by mordukai (7092 posts) -

I am Jack's complete lack of interest.

#38 Posted by SoulAssassin808 (57 posts) -
@MJHAYLETT:
Don't flatter yourself, MS just simply throws money around to get more sales. Which they seems to have a lot more of then sony (money that is)
#39 Posted by HydraHam (1338 posts) -

I want this game NOW, to people bitching about timed exclusives why not put that anger to use, like bitching about store pre-order exclusives, atleast this ends up going to every platform unlike 99.99% of store exclusives.

#40 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2480 posts) -

This seems like a rental anyway, so I'm not too torn up about it.

Exclusive DLC debacles push games I might buy even further into the rental corner tho.

#41 Posted by Vinny_Says (5630 posts) -

Why errbody mad? This is like the third time in 6 months this is announced (CoD, Fallout....)

And THQ will not pass on offers like this, this is a lot of money we're talking about here and this is how the business works.

#42 Posted by ajamafalous (11592 posts) -
@TJSmash said:
" @Lolimoto said:
Clever girl.
#43 Posted by MrKlorox (11186 posts) -
@EgoCheck616 said:
" So they outsourced the PC multiplayer to Digital Extremes only to then provide DLC to the Xbox 360 first.  This makes very little sense. "
What, seriously? They're not even doing the multiplayer themselves? Well I just lost all interest in this game. So much for the Battlefield heritage of the studio.
#44 Posted by kidman (458 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:
" @EgoCheck616 said:
" So they outsourced the PC multiplayer to Digital Extremes only to then provide DLC to the Xbox 360 first.  This makes very little sense. "
What, seriously? They're not even doing the multiplayer themselves? Well I just lost all interest in this game. So much for the Battlefield heritage of the studio. "
So? DE did the Multiplayer for Bioshock 2 and it was fine as far as i know.
#45 Posted by kmv_007 (42 posts) -

This surprises me - Microsoft usually pay for the timed exclusivity on games that are sure to sell well - GTA 4, the Call of Duty series and the two most recent Fallout games are prime examples.   This game - from a second-tier publisher (THQ is no ActiBlizzard or EA) and a developer with a spotty record.

This makes me think that either Microsoft has seen this game running and been impressed enough to shell out big bucks, or THQ and Kaos Studios are pulling a fast one on Microsoft.  I'm thinking the former.  

I'm really excited for this game, specifically the single player story, and this news makes me even more hyped.  I'm still buying it on Steam, though.

#46 Posted by MrKlorox (11186 posts) -
@kidman said:
" @MrKlorox said:
" @EgoCheck616 said:
What, seriously? They're not even doing the multiplayer themselves? Well I just lost all interest in this game. So much for the Battlefield heritage of the studio. "
So? DE did the Multiplayer for Bioshock 2 and it was fine as far as i know. "
That makes it about a thousand times worse. "They're really adept at shoehorning multiplayer in where it doesn't belong" doesn't make me feel any better.
#47 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

IDC this game looks like shit anyways. 

#48 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -
#49 Posted by cjmabry (485 posts) -

Hmmmm... I want to buy it on the PS3 now, just to say a  big "Screw you," to Microsoft for this. Not that I actually was going to buy it, I just think Microsoft needs to devote cash to making good first-party titles and not this crap.

#50 Posted by SL33TBL1ND (492 posts) -
@TJSmash said:
" @Lolimoto said:
THE BEST.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.