Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Homefront

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 15, 2011

By the year 2027, the North Koreans have managed to unify Korea, annex Japan, and also invade the western half of the United States. As an American rebel fighter, it is the player's duty to help push the NPA out of the United States and end the citizens' suffering.

I wish there was another Freedom Fighters instead.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Daveyo520

I really loved the 1st game and if I recall correctly it left itself open to a sequel.  Too bad I think it will never happen. Also somehow alternate reality Soviet Russians is more plausable then North Koreans. Even for a video game it is reaching. They should have went with China not NK,  but I digress.   

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By CenturionCajun

Well, North Korea is the most blatantly aggressive Communist nation remaining. China is too involved internationally with its trade to go ape shit. So, the way they explain things going down is far fetched but not impossible.

I too loved Freedom Fighters with a passion but a sequel looks less and less likely. The developer has done nothing but Kane and Lynch recently and with Square Enix acquiring Eidos it looks pretty bleak.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Well this game more like alternate future than history and not even alternate. But yes I would like a Freedom Fighters sequel. Cajun, the game was an EA product and if I am correct IO Interactive isn't owned by Square-Enix. That means that there is a possibility.

sublime90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By sublime90

i agree. Freedom Fighters is one of my games ever. beat it twice on PS2 and at the end on the PC version. it has such a cool patriotic feel to it that homefront tries really hard to get across but doesnt really. raising the american flag after you take over a territory makes you really feel like you've accomplished something in FF. is it me or is the korean/american guy in homefront dressed exactly the same way that annoying guy in FF was (the guy who talked a lot but never really did anything)? he has the same hat and everything. id personally like to see another FF game before another hitman or kane and lynch.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
    @sublime90 said:
    " i agree. Freedom Fighters is one of my games ever. beat it twice on PS2 and at the end on the PC version. it has such a cool patriotic feel to it that homefront tries really hard to get across but doesnt really. raising the american flag after you take over a territory makes you really feel like you've accomplished something in FF. is it me or is the korean/american guy in homefront dressed exactly the same way that annoying guy in FF was (the guy who talked a lot but never really did anything)? he has the same hat and everything. id personally like to see another FF game before another hitman or kane and lynch. "
    "They'll never know what hit em!"
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Pretty fun game indeed, like so many others we'll probably never see again for a sequel :/

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Yeah, Freedom Fighters was pretty legit. I was just upset you could never replay the game with your full squad on higher difficulties after beating it. That could have been fun.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Daveyo520
    @CenturionCajun: Ya EA owns the rights too. So you are right it will probably never happen. 

I know NK is way more aggressive but the country is in shut a bad state I don't see them getting out of it. 

@sublime90:
     Is that a FF icon I see? Ya Kayne and Lynch tried to do some of the stuff from FF but it is just not the same. Hopefully with the last one not doing well and the 1st one sucking they will try to go back. 

@TheGreatGuero: Things a modern version could fix.
    ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ShaneDev

I never played Freedom Fighters and I just checked Steam and couldn't find it. However World in Conflict plus the expansion pack is only  €15 so I might get my USA Vs USSR fix that way.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Daveyo520
    @ShaneDev: If you can find a PS2 or Xbox copy I am sure you can play it on your new console. World in Conflict is a great great game too. One of my favorite RTSs. It reminds me of the book Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy more then Red Dawn. Also Alec Baldwin's voice over is some of the best their is.
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Daveyo520
    @TaliciaDragonsong: One of my favorites.
    Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

@Daveyo520: You're not wrong. 

I'd even settle for a re-release/updated release of the first one on steam.
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13  Edited By Yanngc33

I wish, that would have been so much cooler

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Daveyo520
    @Yanngc33: Yes it would have.
    Avatar image for metalgeargeorge
    MetalGearGeorge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By MetalGearGeorge

I really wish they could make a Freedom Fighters sequel because it was one of my favorite games back then and it still is. Seeing how Homefront proved to be a lot less exciting as the previews made it look it would be really cool to see a sequel or a HD remake at least.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I think the Freedom Fighters IP is owned by EA and Homefront was made by THQ so if they wouldn't have made Homefront we would have neither Homefront and Freedom Fighters, so I guess it's better to have at least one game instead of none.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Daveyo520
    @Mr_Skeleton: I know they are not connected, but it would be nice if somehow it came around.
    tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By tebbit

Freedom Fighters: Awesome soundtrack. I mean, oh my god was it the best soundtrack ever.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By buzz_killington
    @ThePhantomnaut said:
    " Well this game more like alternate future than history and not even alternate. But yes I would like a Freedom Fighters sequel. Cajun, the game was an EA product and if I am correct IO Interactive isn't owned by Square-Enix. That means that there is a possibility. "
    I beg to differ. They are indeed owned by Square Enix.
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Daveyo520
    @buzz_killington: Ya they will never make another Freedom Fighters game sadly. All I can hope for is that EA gets someone else to do it and they do a good job. Also IO hasn't been making that great of stuff lately. 
    bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By bybeach
    @Tebbit said:
    "Freedom Fighters: Awesome soundtrack. I mean, oh my god was it the best soundtrack ever. "

This, I really liked their soundtrack also, it still comes to mind. 

Overall the game was superb, and the whole alternative what-if world thing was interesting way back then also. 

I also liked that the game wasn't a Red Dawn type vehicle. The political atmosphere is neutral except for the threat posed by an outside superpower, and there are several things written into the plot and gameplay that give balance.  

And of course the squad game mechanic(s) itself!    

I wonder if another Freedom Fighters would actually appeal anymore, though it very definetly left itself for the sequel.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
    @buzz_killington said:
    " @ThePhantomnaut said:
    " Well this game more like alternate future than history and not even alternate. But yes I would like a Freedom Fighters sequel. Cajun, the game was an EA product and if I am correct IO Interactive isn't owned by Square-Enix. That means that there is a possibility. "
    I beg to differ. They are indeed owned by Square Enix. "
    WELL... THIS FUCKING SUCKS.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.