Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Homefront

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 15, 2011

By the year 2027, the North Koreans have managed to unify Korea, annex Japan, and also invade the western half of the United States. As an American rebel fighter, it is the player's duty to help push the NPA out of the United States and end the citizens' suffering.

I'm not sure whether I feel bad for THQ...

Avatar image for bjorntheunicorn
    BjornTheUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By BjornTheUnicorn

(Please note I have not played the game yet, and despite these criticisms I still plan on doing so)
    So this was the game that's supposed to push them into being a top-tier publisher? In my opinion, they are the king of the middle shelf, and damn good at it at that. Darksiders and the Saints Row series are both good because they are alternatives to other series, and actually offer something new and different. This is a bit harder to do with a hyped front page type game (Ironically, Saints Row 3 is the current cover of Game Informer. But Saints Row 3 should have been the push to top tier.) They could have proved themselves with an alternative to COD, but the thing is, there's already Battlefield, Killzone, and Halo (you could claim TF2, and Monday Night Combat, but that's a different ball game,)  which all offer something different but keep the same core feel (of sorts, I'm no FPS guy, so don't shoot me.) What this has for being different is IT TAKES PLACE IN AMERICA HOLY WAFFLE BALLS!!!!!! Here's two  things that they kinda did that's not entirely the best: 

• Awful case of review filtering: On monday the game was sitting at a good 87 on metacritic or so, now the 360 version is at 72 and the PS3 version at 75. This isn't so much as them focusing on metacritic, which publishers do get importance boners too much already, but having game sites go "I want hits so I'll give your game an 85." No surprises that this leap has already.
    • Pushing the single-player, when surprise!!! The campaign isn't all that great: I realize the quality of the campaign is at no fault to THQ, but saying that that was the big thing for the game, then having it be subpar and brief, while still having a solid multiplayer but almost doing no press for it? Yeah, that's totally THQs fault. I see what they are trying to do, as the aforementioned games have been dominating multiplayer, so they go "HERE MAN SINGLE PLAYER RIGHT?" The problem with this is that despite a lot of FPSes having a huge focus on multiplayer, and that being a large percentage of time allotted to the game, single player is still crucial to the game, and having a focus on a bad part of the game is just telling people that their game is only half-good.

So those are my criticisms, maybe these opinions will completely change once I touch the game, but still, lousy job THQ.
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Skald

THQ should focus on Relic. That's probably their most dependable studio right now.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I think they should focus their attention on Volition, so they can make a less janky Saints Row 3, and a more awesome Red Faction Armageddon. 

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By dillonwerner

RED FACTION

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@extremeradical: Dude, Vigil might as well have been the Rocksteady of 2010.  Coming out of nowhere to make something awesome like Darksiders.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b
    deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

They do a good job and pooping out Dawn of War games. And I couldn't be any more happier.

CodeFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CodeFire

Kaos Studios continues to amaze me, as they continue to create these, arguably, half done products. It's really sad that these games are coming from the people that developed one of the best BF:1942 mods, Desert Combat. The same people that helped shape and create BF:2. Although, I don't know how much of their content was created and put into BF:2, or how much control they had over the design of BF:2. If Kaos Studios wants to continue being a developer, and being supported, they seriously need improve on their quality when they create their IP's. THQ is also partly to blame, of course.

Troispoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Troispoint

They decided to make a generic FPS. Glad they're learning the lesson the hard way.

CmdrSheppard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CmdrSheppard
    @extremeradical said:

" THQ should focus on Relic. That's probably their most dependable studio right now. "

Gas Powered Games isn't too bad either. But I hate the direction that company is going (i.e. Age of Empires Online).
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Marz

Darksiders 2 will redeem them :)

JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By JerichoBlyth
    @DillonWerner said:
    " RED FACTION "
    ^^ Took the words right out of my mouth.

They could define third-person online multiplayer with Red Faction if they gave it enough attention and love.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Animasta
    @extremeradical said:

" THQ should focus on Volition. That's probably their most dependable studio right now. "

Red Faction & Saints Row in one year!?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.