Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Homefront

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 15, 2011

By the year 2027, the North Koreans have managed to unify Korea, annex Japan, and also invade the western half of the United States. As an American rebel fighter, it is the player's duty to help push the NPA out of the United States and end the citizens' suffering.

No North Korea in Japanese release of THQ's Home Front

damnitsted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By damnitsted

I read earlier today that because of Japan's CERO ratings board, there are certain guidelines how games can refer to existing people and places. And according to the Japanese website for Home Front the following has been changed from the original game to be allowed for Japanese sales: 
    • -In one live action sequence in the game's opening movie that depicts North Korean leader Kim Jong-il as having died, the image of Kim Jong-il has been removed.
    • -In scenes that have been deemed malicious to an existing country, said country is now referred to as "A Certain Country to the North."
    • -In scenes that have been deemed malicious to an existing person, said person is now referred to as "Northern Leader."    

What is up with this? Should THQ care so much about sales that they would be willing to alter their gaming experience for a certain group of people?

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Honestly, I don't know why anyone would be looking to sell Homefront in Japan. I can't see a way that the game would appeal to your average Japanese gamer.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Animasta

whatever, I'm sure the Japanese knows what it means, it's fairly obvious.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Hailinel

This isn't anything new.  Depending on the region of the world, games are edited all of the time.  Good luck trying to find any games in Germany that depict Nazism, for example.  Or look at how Mitsurugi was removed from Soul Calibur in the South Korean release due to his being a samurai.  (Japan and South Korea share a complicated relationship that I won't get into here.)

Or hey, look at how Manhunt 2 got butchered for the sake of an M rating.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By EuanDewar

"A Certain Country to the North." is brilliant. Y'know, a certaincountry, to the north. TheNorth of the country Korea.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I wouldn't exactly call it altering the game experience. They're only changing a couple of names, and it's extremely obvious what they are referring to. If the Japanese ratings board were going to ban it, It's a choice between changing a couple of minor details, or not releasing it there at all. And when the changes are so basic, the decision is a no brainer.

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Jambones
    @KingWilly said:
    " …I can't see a way that the game would appeal to your average Japanese gamer. "
    My thoughts exactly. It seems like a major hassle to cater to what would be a comparatively tiny market, but I suppose in the end THQ has all the info on whether it's worth it or not.
    mowgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By mowgers

I read the title and for a brief, joyous moment imagined a first person shooter with no bad guys. You'd just wander around suburban America, armed to the teeth and with nothing to shoot. The game would end with you meeting up with some other freedom fighters and just shoot tin cans off a fence with M60s.

danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By danimal_furry

It sounds a bit like PC in overdrive, but with a bit of common sense. North Korea vs. the world is such a hot button issue, maybe it is best they don't stir up a hornets nest with that whack-job, Kim Jung Il. He could take anything to be a declaration of war.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Jimbo

What about the North Korean flags & insignia all over everything?

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By tourgen
    @MattyFTM said:
    " I wouldn't exactly call it altering the game experience. They're only changing a couple of names, and it's extremely obvious what they are referring to. If the Japanese ratings board were going to ban it, It's a choice between changing a couple of minor details, or not releasing it there at all. And when the changes are so basic, the decision is a no brainer. "
    I agree (arbitrary and petty) censorship is a no brainer if it costs sales.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.