Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Homefront

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 15, 2011

By the year 2027, the North Koreans have managed to unify Korea, annex Japan, and also invade the western half of the United States. As an American rebel fighter, it is the player's duty to help push the NPA out of the United States and end the citizens' suffering.

So I've seen some sources praising this game's backstory, but...

• 79 results
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#1  Edited By Hailinel

Now, I haven't played Homefront, so maybe there's something I'm missing in the context, but from the sidelines, I'm having a very difficult time understanding how some are praising the game's backstory.  In order for the game's plot to be even remotely plausible, it requires a chain of events that's too implausible to be believable and seems more apt to rely on shocking imagery, like soldiers gunning down a mother in front of a small child, than actually explaining a plausible invasion scenario.

From the Giant Bomb wiki:

Timeline 

• 2011: "North Korea's weapons program continues to intensify .... has surpassed 1000 missiles" This shows that North Korea is arming itself. Some countries also want the UN to put severe sanctions against North Korea.

Okay, fine.  The U.N. has proven time and again that they're incredibly slow to react when it comes to such situations.

• 2012: "This morning comes the news of Kim Jong Il's death" Kim Jong has died. "North Korea greets there new leader son of Kim Jong Ils son Kim Jong-un"

This is perfectly plausible as well.  Kim Jon Il is not a young man, and he hasn't seemed particularly healthy in recent years.

• 2013: "Kim Jong-un has united north and south Korea" This now forms the Greater Korean Republic.

Okay, what.  North Korea takes over South Korea in a single year without any apparent resistance or outside intervention.

• 2015: "Costs at the pump are ready to break the $20 price" This forces America to become destabilized.

Or maybe invest in electric cars.

• 2017: "Civil unrest has intensified with the demise of the US dollar" There are a lot of riots in America and the military has started to pull out of Asia and other countries.

And the cause of the U.S. dollar's demise is...?

• 2018: "Under threat of annihilation by the Greater Korean Republic....Japan has surrendered" Japan now joins the Greater Korean Republic. Riots continue during 2018-2022.

So Korea takes over Japan, and once again, the international community apparently doesn't give a shit.

• 2022: "The president ordered a freeze on bank withdraws." The US economy has completely failed.

Wow, they're really playing the worst case scenario card here.  Everybody panic!

• 2024: "Korean annexation continues to spread" Korea takes over many Asian countries such as the Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, and Myanmar.

You'd think that someone would have thought to maybe fight back by now.  It didn't even take the invasion of this many countries to trigger World War II.

• 2025: "The Greater Korean Republic has launched its latest communication satellite claiming it will bring a message of peace" This satellite is really a EMP that knocks out near all electronics in America. The Greater Korean Republic begin the invasion. Greater Korean Republic takes over Hawaii and San Francisco.

Magic science technology thing cripples all of America in one fell swoop.  How incredibly realistic.

• 2026: "US military scattered" This is due to communications being down and the surprise of the attack.

You'd think that given the shenanigans that Korea had been up to for over a decade, the U.S. would have been better prepared for a Korean invasion by this point.

I mean, seriously.  What.  In some ways, this is even more ridiculous than Red Dawn.
    Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Punk1984
    @Hailinel: how dare you besmirch the memory of the Swayze by linking him with this cheap knock off of a knock off...I say 'Good Day Sir.'

No but you're totally right
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Wont the back story be less impact full for people who are playing the game Outside of the U.S? I mean why would someone in the U.k be like" This could happen" When they see a hooters with Koreans in it....does the U.K even know what Hooters is? 

blueaniman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By blueaniman93

Yeah I know.

I've heard people talking about this being realistic, and it's kind of ridiculous.

IGN did an article on it. If you really want to get pissed off, 

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

What they mean by "Great Premise" is that everyone who grew up in the 80s has been waiting for a Red Dawn videogame ever since.

dantheman1515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By dantheman1515

Ya its really dumb. I doubt North Korea will still exist in 2026. There bound to fuck up some time in the next 16 years and then will be subsequently wiped clean. If Koreans were muslim then America would've already invaded, but our government is still worried about fighting its holy war against the middle east.

Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Punk1984

Product placement does nothing for immersion...
    When I was ducking behind the full throttle energy drink machine, I wasn't thinking "Man this is just like real life."  I was thinking, "Why the hell is this gas station totally trashed and yet these two pop machines are totally okay even though they obviously been knocked over and pushed across the floor? And for that matter do they even make these machines in real life? I mean those Full throttle cans are tall boys. Does that work in one of these machines or does it need to be one of those robot arm ones. Oh I'm getting shot through the cover - thanks for nothing Full Throttle next time I'm getting a Red Bull."

I can't wait until I see the Tiger Direct.com store that doesn't exist in real life.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#8  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Hailinel said:
    "
    • 2025: "The Greater Korean Republic has launched its latest communication satellite claiming it will bring a message of peace" This satellite is really a EMP that knocks out near all electronics in America. The Greater Korean Republic begin the invasion. Greater Korean Republic takes over Hawaii and San Francisco.

Magic science technology thing cripples all of America in one fell swoop.  How incredibly realistic.
    "
    Damn PSE law!
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HandsomeDead

Breaking News: Hailinel doesn't like a western game. Latest Developments: Picks holes in fictional storyline; Thinks he's actually making a point.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By MooseyMcMan

North Korea can barely keep itself afloat, let alone conquer S. Korea, Japan, etc. And there really is no way the international community would sit by and let this happen. I mean, they're stepping in to help out Libya (or attack it, kinda both). 

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    " North Korea can barely keep itself afloat, let alone conquer S. Korea, Japan, etc. And there really is no way the international community would sit by and let this happen. I mean, they're stepping in to help out Libya (or attack it, kinda both).  "
    You're right. This game isn't a documentary at all.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hailinel
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " Breaking News: Hailinel doesn't like a western game. Latest Developments: Picks holes in fictional storyline; Thinks he's actually making a point. "
    And your point would be?

Oh, right.  You don't have one.

@Punk1984 said:
    "I can't wait until I see the Tiger Direct.com store that doesn't exist in real life. "

Just wait until 2026, when Tiger Direct.com has retail locations across America and yet still includes the .com on its retail location signage.
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dany

The leap from N. Korea and S. Korea reuniting is not going to happen in our lifetime let alone in 3 years. But again, fiction, once it makes that leap, it can make any fate future broadcast plausible right?

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By mracoon
    @HandsomeDead:@Hailinel: Guys, stop. If you want to continue your little argument then do it in PMs and leave it off the forums.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Oh come on. Most have been saying that the game's backstory is crap. What are these "some sources" you're referring to?

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Enigma777
    @Hailinel: Praising the backstory doesn't mean it has to be plausible, just that it's good....
    1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By 1337W422102

Canadian here.  I saw the trailer for the the game and have no interest in it whatsoever.  My reaction to the trailer is pretty much what the OP describes.  Sounds like more LOL FREEDUM AND LIBERTEEEEEE fearmongering.  But I can't help but get flashbacks of oldschool games in a similar vein, like Rush'n Attack.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By Bloodgraiv3
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    "North Korea can barely keep itself afloat, let alone conquer S. Korea, Japan, etc. And there really is no way the international community would sit by and let this happen. I mean, they're stepping in to help out Libya (or attack it, kinda both).  "

Pretty much this. 
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hailinel
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " Oh come on. Most have been saying that the game's backstory is crap. What are these "some sources" you're referring to? "
    The GameTrailers narrator made me raise my eyebrow a few times, as have other scattered online comments.  I'm not saying that there's this great wave of people proclaiming this profound belief in the game's plausibility, but they're out there.  And apparently ignorant toward the current geopolitical and military climate surrounding the Korean peninsula.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#20  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Who are these people who are saying these things? Sure, it's a ludicrous enough setup for a Red Dawn wannabe like Homefront, but that doesn't make it good or plausible.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By BraveToaster

Not only would it take longer than a year to unite, it would take years for them to recover from all that fighting. 

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CaptainCody
    @HandsomeDead said:
    "Breaking News: Hailinel doesn't like a western game. Latest Developments: Picks holes in fictional storyline; Thinks he's actually making a point. "

I love you.
    Avatar image for relentlessknight
    RelentlessKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#23  Edited By RelentlessKnight

it's just a "what-if" scenario, I don't believe it should be taken seriously

Czarpyotr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By Czarpyotr

and the stocks fall even LOWER!!!

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By endaround

Best part is how $20 a gallon oil cripples the US but doesn't affect North Korea.  This must have found a source of unobtanium.  Or maybe their navy is all sail powered?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#26  Edited By LordAndrew
    @CaptainCody: Knock it off.
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#27  Edited By beargirl1

there should be a video game where the actual territory of countries fight against each other. i'm not talking about the US army or some shit but all of the land that makes up the USA fighting against all of the land that makes up North Korea. that would be ballin' 

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hailinel
    @AjayRaz said:
    " there should be a video game where the actual territory of countries fight against each other. i'm not talking about the US army or some shit but all of the land that makes up the USA fighting against all of the land that makes up North Korea. that would be ballin'  "
    That would be psychedelic.

@endaround said:
    " Best part is how $20 a gallon oil cripples the US but doesn't affect North Korea.  This must have found a source of unobtanium.  Or maybe their navy is all sail powered? "
    Or the entire Korean peninsula must have struck oil around 2014.
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By beargirl1
    @Hailinel: but it would be pretty sweet. c'mon, you have to admit it. 
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kingzetta

Backstory? you mean the movie Red Dawn?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By Animasta
    @AjayRaz said:
    " @Hailinel: but it would be pretty sweet. c'mon, you have to admit it.  "
    would it be like the portrait fights in dragonball evolution?
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By beargirl1
    @Laketown said:
    " @AjayRaz said:
    would it be like the portrait fights in dragonball evolution? "
    pretty much, except you have countries body slamming each other 
    thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By thedj93
    @AjayRaz said:
    shit, just make america have the personality, fashion sense, and vocabulary of a grizzled space-marine, and I'm SOLD
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By beargirl1
    @thedj93 said:
    " @AjayRaz said:
    shit, just make america have the personality, fashion sense, and vocabulary of a grizzled space-marine, and I'm SOLD "
    way ahead of you brah 
    Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Genkkaku

Not even one mention of Australia.. 

In this timeline were either to lazy or to drunk to care i guess

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Animasta
    @Genkkaku said:
    " Not even one mention of Australia..  In this timeline were either to lazy or to drunk to care i guess "
    the GKR or whatever actually took over Australia and now use it as their prison colony.

ironic huh
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hailinel
    @AjayRaz said:
    I'd play it.  I admit it.
    Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

I think it would be better if they handled their history the way Vanquish did - forget trying to make your ridiculous setup seem realistic or plausible and just throw things at you.  The attempts to make the events seem like even a remote possibility make it that much more ridiculous.

Also, Giant Bomb threads have been degenerating into insult flinging for no reason entirely too often lately.  Stop it.

Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Punk1984
    @Genkkaku said:
    " Not even one mention of Australia..  In this timeline were either to lazy or to drunk to care i guess "
    So par for the course then?
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Make_Me_Mad said:
    " I think it would be better if they handled their history the way Vanquish did - forget trying to make your ridiculous setup seem realistic or plausible and just throw things at you.  The attempts to make the events seem like even a remote possibility make it that much more ridiculous. "
    So the best course of action is to not even try?
    IcySandman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By IcySandman

Damn people are just taking shots at Homefront, I suppose 3 stars is the killing fields.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Make_Me_Mad
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " @Make_Me_Mad said:
    " I think it would be better if they handled their history the way Vanquish did - forget trying to make your ridiculous setup seem realistic or plausible and just throw things at you.  The attempts to make the events seem like even a remote possibility make it that much more ridiculous. "
    So the best course of action is to not even try? "
    I think when your premise is so ridiculous to start with, you need to embrace that absurdity whole hog to keep it from being incredibly awkward.  Trying to ground it like they did just highlights all the places that the fiction breaks.
    N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By N7

It seems really hard to fuck up the whole "OMG America got invaded! OMG!" story. I mean, Red Dawn did it pretty nicely because it didn't really go into a deep discussion about it. Shit happened, and shit continued to happen. That's about as far as they went.

Homefront had a lot of awesome possibilities. I knew that it was going to be terrible around the time that one interview came out and the guy said something like they were putting most of the effort into the multiplayer side of things.

I guess we'll have to wait another, what, 30 years for a real Red Dawn video game?

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44  Edited By shivermetimbers

Very little alternate history fiction makes any sense, it's just for fun. It's just Homefront was being a little pretentious about it because it's the first game to describe it at great length. 

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45  Edited By Dalai

I guess we'll all find out in 15 years if this is all even possible.

Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Punk1984
    @IcySandman said:
    " Damn people are just taking shots at Homefront, I suppose 3 stars is the killing fields. "
    Actually according to Homefront those are in the infield of a little league baseball diamond
    apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#47  Edited By apathylad

Is leaving the body of a dead American in a Russian airport with the goal of starting a Russian invasion plausible? You'd think the place would have some security cameras. 

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By DystopiaX
    @Apathylad said:

" Is leaving the body of a dead American in a Russian airport with the goal of starting a Russian invasion plausible? You'd think the place would have some security cameras.  "

The difference is that MW2, while using a modern setting, is not using the same kind of "YO THIS SHIT COULD HAPPEN" marketing that Homefront has. It would be one thing to say "lol we came up with this story with this unique situation" and another to say "YO play this game it'll be just like the future" 
    Also, they claim the story is good on a logical standpoint. MW2 doesn't, they just say "YO YOU GET TO BLOW SHIT UP"! Which is fine by me.
    @shivermetimbers said:

" Very little alternate history fiction makes any sense, it's just for fun. It's just Homefront was being a little pretentious about it because it's the first game to describe it at great length.  "

Some are more plausible than others. For example, one I just read had the Union losing at Gettysberg because Lee's orders were never found- plausible, because the union's victory hinged on them knowing what the Confederate armies are going to do. If they lose there, and lose everything (again, plausible) no army of the potomac=Union defeat of the civil war. Hell of a lot more plausible than NK randomly beating SK in a year, before the US is destabilized, without China doing anything. Keep in mind that when NK fired on SK this year, China came out and said it would not support NK if they exhibited further aggression. That, and Hailinel's point- that $20 per gallon would likely force alternative fuel sources for cars- is perfectly legitimate. On top of that, why the hell won't anyone else defend Japan? A big part of the story is dependant on the fact that the people allied against NK won't help each other, and current events shows that this isn't true.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#49  Edited By Vinny_Says

Hey man video games!! Fuck it how do you know Mass Effect won't happen in the future?

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Actually, I just looked outside and this is all totally happening in front of my house.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.