Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Homefront

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 15, 2011

By the year 2027, the North Koreans have managed to unify Korea, annex Japan, and also invade the western half of the United States. As an American rebel fighter, it is the player's duty to help push the NPA out of the United States and end the citizens' suffering.

THQ share value drops 21% in reaction to mixed review scores

JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By JudgeDread

Looks like the stock holders had high hopes in Homefront.   Metascores must be giving game execs nightmares.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-15-homefront-scores-cause-thq-stock-crash

http://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:THQI

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11046223/1/thq-stock-falls-on-unusually-high-volume-thqi.html  

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By jacdg

Scary thing is, a 70 average rating is not really something I would call bad, especially not for a title like Homefront which never looked amazing, interesting yes, but not amazing.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#3  Edited By Icemael

That's pretty crazy. I mean, about half the reviews are positive, so they must've really believed in this game...

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By buzz_killington

Medal of Honor had a 70% rating and sold 5 mil, so either THQ aren't as good liars as EA, or something.

DarkTravesty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By DarkTravesty

i'm still picking it up as i do not let reviews dictate my purchasing decisions.

borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By borodin
    @Icemael said:
    " That's pretty crazy. I mean, about half the reviews are positive, so they must've really believed in this game... "
    Yeah :S maybe they don't really have anything else lined up for the rest of the year?  

@DarkTravesty
    said:
    " i'm still picking it up as i do not let reviews dictate my purchasing decisions. "
    FIGHT THE POWER!!
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Slaker117
    @DarkTravesty said:
    " i'm still picking it up as i do not let reviews dictate my purchasing decisions. "
    I don't understand this sentiment. Screw informed opinion, I'm listening to marketing hype?

Don't know your reasons necessarily, but I don't really see what else this game had going for it.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Animasta
    @borodin said:
    " @Icemael said:
    " That's pretty crazy. I mean, about half the reviews are positive, so they must've really believed in this game... "
    Yeah :S maybe they don't really have anything else lined up for the rest of the year?  

@DarkTravesty
    said:
    FIGHT THE POWER!! "
    THQ has red faction, saints row, Smackdown, Warhammer...
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DonPixel
    @rottendevice said:

" But investors tend to be 55 years old and know nothing about games except that the ones where you shoot people are popular.  This industry can be stupid. "

haha.. yes kinda
    DarkTravesty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DarkTravesty
    @borodin @Slaker117:
      whatever happed to it looks fun to me? i've got a handful of games in my library that people shit on that i think are fun; isn't that what fucking games are for?  can i not be belittled for the fact it looks good to me. jesus christ
    williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By williamhenry
    @DarkTravesty said:
    " @borodin @Slaker117:   whatever happed to it looks fun to me? isn't that what fucking games are for.  can i not be belittled by the fact it looks good to me. jesus christ "
    Theres nothing wrong with that, its just crazy to completely dismiss reviews from swaying your purchases. Tons of terrible games looked fun before they were released and reviewed. Why wouldn't you want to at least look to see if a game is terrible before spending money on it?
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Slaker117
    @DarkTravesty:  Not trying to get on your back about it, I just fail to see what makes it appealing, especially now that reviews are out, other then the marketing push THQ gave it. If you have to money to be less discerning, good for you I guess?
    borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By borodin
    @DarkTravesty: Woah there, I was just teasing you about your phrasing - you said that like a political statement against reviewers.You didn't actually come close to saying that you thought the game looked fun. So maybe calm down a bit? Or at least don't get riled up on my account, didn't mean anything by it
    DarkTravesty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DarkTravesty
    @DivineCC:  maybe what i typed should have been worded differently. Its not that i don't read reviews i do i contrast them with the bad. but what if i just watch every video i find, read everything about xxx game and still have some what of an interest in it and its not a rent it first mentality more of a that warrants a purchase in my eyes?
    Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Zimbo

Ouch, that sucks. I haven't bought a THQ game in ages. Hell, I don't even remember what games they do anymore besides this and Red Faction.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@JudgeDread: This is actual game journalism, and is really fucking interesting. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, duder. 

Like someone said above me, 70 really isn't awful, but I guess in terms of market performance it'll have a pretty drastic effect. 

I'd like to see a larger view of the relationship between stock prices, sales and critical reception.  

Surely it can't have that large an effect, can it?
    mgray5159

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mgray5159

I guess that is why you don't make people work 60 days strait for 10 hours a day without a day off.

Avatar image for apocalypselater
    ApocalypseLater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By ApocalypseLater

That is incredibly reactionary.  THQ has published a good number of great games and I'm still waiting for a proper sequel to Company of Heroes which I still play to this day. I really hope this doesn't cause them to overreact and do something drastic to the studio.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Afroman269

I almost considered investing in THQ, not for Homefront, but good thing I waited.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Slaker117: I know my tastes in games well enough that reviews don't influence my purchase decisions at all. Watching some videos of a game will always determine whether I'll enjoy the game or not for me. 

A 21% drop is kinda crazy. Didn't think a single game could influence the stock's price so much.
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By august

Strap it on.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Seedofpower
    @Laketown said:
    " @borodin said:
    " @Icemael said:

@DarkTravesty
    said:
    FIGHT THE POWER!! "
    THQ has red faction, saints row, Smackdown, Warhammer... "
    Yeah so everyone needs to relax. From what I recall Retribution did pretty well and they have Space Marine in the summer.
    niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By niamahai

MoH got around 7s and still manage to push 2mil sales. 

So I guess saleswise Homefront should do ok. 

Wonder whats gonna happen to Kaos though. 
    They were kinda the darling developer story since they started out doing mods for BF1942 and turning into a full fledge developer.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Cameron

I think the reason it dropped so much is that THQ put an insane amount of marketing dollars behind a mediocre product. Who knows, it might still sell well, look at Medal of Honor, but if it doesn't, then stockholders have a good reason to ditch the stock.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @Slaker117 said:
    " @DarkTravesty:  Not trying to get on your back about it, I just fail to see what makes it appealing, especially now that reviews are out, other then the marketing push THQ gave it. If you have to money to be less discerning, good for you I guess? "
    Maybe he really likes Red Dawn and wants to play a game like that, there's nothing appealing about Deadly Premonition but a bunch of idiots bought it and claim it's "the greatest thing"....
    capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By capthavic

Well that's sadly how the business side of the industry works, all they care about is sales numbers and their metacritic score. If a game gets anything less than a 90% and/or doesn't sell a huge number of copies in the first week of release then they consider it a failure and are much less likely to continue funding that developer. 

Personally this was of those games that I had a bad feeling about and after reading the reviews I'm glad I held back from getting it myself.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By Dalai

Now I guess THQ is really hoping de Blob 2 is a hit or we're not as jaded about review scores. 

Because Homefront doesn't look that great.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By awesomeusername
    @DarkTravesty said:
    " @DivineCC:  xxx game and still have some what of an interest in it and its not a rent it first mentality more of a that warrants a purchase in my eyes? "
    I think everyone will want to buy an xxx game. ;) (Joking)
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By napalm
    @DivineCC said:

" its just crazy to completely dismiss reviews from swaying your purchases. "

So, do you always let other people make your videogames purchases for you? 

@GetEveryone said:
    " @JudgeDread: This is actual game journalism, and is really fucking interesting. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, duder. 

Like someone said above me, 70 really isn't awful, but I guess in terms of market performance it'll have a pretty drastic effect. 

I'd like to see a larger view of the relationship between stock prices, sales and critical reception.  

Surely it can't have that large an effect, can it? "
    We'd like to think that it won't, but I have no doubt that a few people might lose their jobs over it.
    memo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By memo

70 is not a bad score. People have really high expectations for video games.  It is the first game of a possible franchise now thq needs to build from this.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jesus, that's crazy.  THQ has been doing some great shit lately.  Homefront really isn't bad, I in fact like it. 

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Bribo

Maybe the stockmarket actually played it?

Whatever, I too am shocked since I was betting on a resurgence of anti-communist paranoia.

Looks like I need to move my money back into anti-muslim paranoia. That's mostly pork belly futures.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Rowr

I cant understand how anyone expected this game to equate to anything more than it is. Whoever did PR for this game did it really really well. 

@rottendevice said:

" Homefront seemed like a bad idea from the start.   But investors tend to be 55 years old and know nothing about games except that the ones where you shoot people are popular.  This industry can be stupid. "
    Well dont forget about all the people who preordered this based on nothing aside from the fact it seemed popular and you shoot people.
    humbug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By humbug

Oh, the power of words and opinions....    and money.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#35  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I'm surprised they dropped as much as that, sucks to be THQ I guess.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Vodun
    @DarkTravesty said:
    " @borodin @Slaker117:   whatever happed to it looks fun to me? i've got a handful of games in my library that people shit on that i think are fun; isn't that what fucking games are for?  can i not be belittled for the fact it looks good to me. jesus christ "
    Yes! Fucking games is all about the fun, I would never fuck a game I didn't think was any fun (sorry, had to...I'll go away now).
    zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By zero_

Now's the time to buy shares... this game will sell okay guys.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#38  Edited By Tennmuerti

Wierd.
    Did shareholders believe it was going to be their CoD or something?

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By HandsomeDead

You'd think that someone, somewhere, in any of the entertainment industries would look over the past X years and think that maybe if they put out a product of quality then made an attempt to sell it to people, it might actually do OK.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.