Could Hot dog's be considered open faced sandwiches?

• 67 results
#1 Posted by YoThatLimp (1880 posts) -

I don't want to blow any ones hair back, but I have been working on my unified sandwich theory to finally link hot dogs and hamburgers. I think I have stumbled on something fairly important.

#2 Posted by TechHits (1370 posts) -

Yes.... no, wait what?

#3 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

This could be integral.

#4 Posted by Morningstar (2142 posts) -

I'm not sure I understand..

#5 Edited by jimmyfenix (3830 posts) -

Oh man shit just got real !

#6 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

RETURN OF HAMBURGER THREAD!

#7 Edited by ShaggE (6336 posts) -

No, because... umm...

OH GOD THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING

#8 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1696 posts) -

I'm gonna say...no? I've always thought hotdogs and sausages were kinda their own thing, an entity beyond sandwiches. But...now you've got me thinking, and I HATE thinking, you sonofabitch.

#9 Edited by audioBusting (1477 posts) -

I don't believe that a hot dog is an open-faced sandwich, but I see your point. It consists of but one piece of bread, after all. Is a half-open sandwich a thing?

#10 Edited by Monkeyman04 (1011 posts) -
#11 Edited by falserelic (5333 posts) -

Sounds like it would be a great bodybuilding meal, so much protein.

#12 Posted by Shirogane (3563 posts) -

A hotdog doesn't neccessarily have to be open, i've seen places that just stab a hole and slide the sausage in.

#13 Posted by audioBusting (1477 posts) -

A hotdog doesn't neccessarily have to be open, i've seen places that just stab a hole and slide the sausage in.

Whoa, I didn't know that this exists before. I don't think I'd even call this a sandwich.

#14 Edited by YoThatLimp (1880 posts) -

@shirogane said:

You can't judge the majority by the extremist minority. It's 2013, get with it grandpa (or grandma).

#15 Posted by BBAlpert (1376 posts) -

A hot dog still has bread on both sides, so in a sense it's more a sideways sandwich than an open faced one.

#16 Posted by MattyFTM (14347 posts) -

A hotdog is some meat between two slices of bread. The two slices aren't sliced quite all the way open, but they are still two slices of bread. Therefore, it's a sandwich.

A subway sandwich is still a sandwich, even though they never slice the bread all the way through. A hotdog is a sandwich too.

#17 Posted by oldenglishC (922 posts) -

This thread makes me fucking furious.

YOU PEOPLE'S BRAINS SHOULD BE ABLE TO CATALOG MORE THAN ONE TYPE OF BREAD DELIVERED FOOD! A HOT DOG IS NOT A SANDWICH, IT'S A FUCKING HOT DOG! FUCK!

#18 Edited by RenegadeDoppelganger (406 posts) -

@oldenglishc:From wikipedia: A hot dog is a cooked sausage, traditionally grilled or steamed and served in a sliced bun as a sandwich.

The first uses of the term 'hot dog' are used in conjunction with 'sandwich'. One of the earliest recorded mentions of "hot dog" come from The New York Sun of Aug. 12, 1906, ''hot dog sandwich'' appears in a feature article on Coney Island.

Hot dogs are not entities unto their own, they clearly originate from sandwiches and owe to them a great deal.

We need to define what a "face" is on a sandwich and then determine whether a) a face exists on a hotdog bun and b) if the face is in it's open or closed state

We should assume that the bun is in it's traditional bun configuration (corndogs, pigs in blankets, weird ikea dogs etc notwithstanding).

I think the face of a sandwich is it's exposed delicious innards and that having an 'open face' means exposing those ingredients by removing the top slice of bread. This differs from it's natural state which is to have one slice of bread on the bottom and another on top, surrounding the sandwich, 'a closed face'.

The bun on a hot dog surrounds 3/4 of its content, leaving 1/4 exposed to the elements. Is the hot dog in a permanently open state or a permanently closed one? The bun surrounds the majority of the ingredients making it easier to eat and and leaves only a portion of the meat exposed. This is similar to the closed face of a sandwich where bread surrounds enough of the contents in order to make it easy to hold but still exposes some of it's meat on the sides.

Therefore, I believe the hot dog -in the configuration outlined above- to be a closed face sandwich.

#20 Edited by ShaggE (6336 posts) -

YOU PEOPLE'S BRAINS SHOULD BE ABLE TO CATALOG MORE THAN ONE TYPE OF BREAD DELIVERED FOOD! A HOT DOG IS NOT A SANDWICH, IT'S A FUCKING HOT DOG! FUCK!

YEAH! RAGE AGAINST THE SANDWICH PROPAGANDA MACHINE!

#21 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

A Hot Dog is a sausage in a bun.

So no, a sausage is not a sandwich. You can eat that shit without bread.

A Hot Dog in a bun however, is definitely a sammich.

#22 Posted by PurpleMoustache (104 posts) -

First the Horse_Ebooks thing and now this.

My brain is destroyed.

Now that I am thinking about this, yes, a hotdog is a sandwich, albeit a very odd one

#24 Posted by oldenglishC (922 posts) -

@shagge said:

@oldenglishc said:

YEAH! RAGE AGAINST THE SANDWICH PROPAGANDA MACHINE!

You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its bread wrapped meals, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists.

#25 Posted by JasonR86 (9609 posts) -

Fuck That!

#26 Posted by shinjin977 (748 posts) -

I am a lowly asian man. What is an open-face sandwich? is it just a sandwich with out the top bun?

#28 Posted by oldenglishC (922 posts) -
#29 Edited by ShaggE (6336 posts) -

@oldenglishc: Truly, sir, your ideals live up to the Rowsdower name you so boldly represent in your avatar. Zap Rowsdower would never lump the heated dog in with a mere sandwich, and that man knows both foods intimately.

#30 Posted by RedHatDrew (329 posts) -

I, for one, hope that both of these theories are transcribed in modern textbooks and taught to our children, so that they may decide for themselves.

Also, don't know about you guys, but this thread is making me hungry.

#31 Edited by ch3burashka (5017 posts) -

A sandwich is technically open-rimmed, so if anything, a hot dog is a pinched sandwich.

#32 Posted by falserelic (5333 posts) -

What about a sausage bread sandwich?

It begs to be eating, it's put on this earth to satisfy our souls. To make the body happy on the inside, you dig what I'm SAYING!?

#33 Edited by YoThatLimp (1880 posts) -

@ch3burashka said:

A sandwich is technically open-rimmed, so if anything, a hot dog is a pinched sandwich.

You can pinch an open face sandwich as well.

Guys, I am trying to develop a unified theory of Sandwichstry. I want to definitively link both realms of food: hot dog and hamburger. This may infuriate and befuddle you but like many great scientific minds you may persecute me now, but history is on my side.

#34 Posted by YoThatLimp (1880 posts) -

@shirogane said:

Whoa, I didn't know that this exists before. I don't think I'd even call this a sandwich.

Brother, that is a slutty corn dog.

#35 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Are you fucking high? A hotdog is not a sandwich.

#36 Edited by leebmx (2222 posts) -

@audiobusting said:
@shirogane said:

This is more like a fucked up sausage roll.

EDIT: IF YOU PUT BREAD ROUND SOMETHING IT IS A FUCKING SANDWICH. END OF DISCUSSION. THEORY UNIFIED.

#37 Edited by stalefishies (330 posts) -

THERE IS NO OTHER REASONABLE DEFINITION OF SANDWICH THAN 'BREAD AROUND SOME OTHER SHIT'

A HOT DOG IS BREAD AROUND SOME OTHER SHIT

HOT DOGS ARE SANDWICHES

QED

#38 Posted by oldenglishC (922 posts) -

@stalefishies: @leebmx:

So stuffed french toast is a sandwich? You're "bread around blah, blah - fart noise -" theory is bullshit.

#39 Posted by leebmx (2222 posts) -

THERE IS NO OTHER REASONABLE DEFINITION OF SANDWICH THAN 'BREAD AROUND SOME OTHER SHIT'

A HOT DOG IS BREAD AROUND SOME OTHER SHIT

HOT DOGS ARE SANDWICHES

QED

I AGREE WITH YOU. BUT MY THROAT IS SORE FROM ALL THIS SHOUTING ABOUT SANDWICHES.

What I do find interesting is why we vary the way we describe sandwiches made with fillings of reconstituted cooked meats. If we followed the hamburger and hotdog naming conventions for other sandwiches we would talk about going out for a cheese, or a tuna mayonnaise. Why do we drop the word sandwich when it comes to this certain category of fillings?

#40 Posted by shinjin977 (748 posts) -

What about a sausage bread sandwich?

It begs to be eating, it's put on this earth to satisfy our souls. To make the body happy on the inside, you dig what I'm SAYING!?

Oh my! my Japanese blood demands that. Makes me wonder where stuff like this went whenever I go to the states.

#41 Posted by stalefishies (330 posts) -

So stuffed french toast is a sandwich? You're "bread around blah, blah - fart noise -" theory is bullshit.

I have zero problem calling that a sandwich, mainly because it's a sandwich. The sandwich is in the bread, not in the filling. Whether it's, savoury, sweet, whatever - if it's inside bread of some sort, it's a sandwich.

Plus, quick googling for stuffed french toast recipes give plenty of hits that contain the word 'sandwich'.

#42 Posted by oldenglishC (922 posts) -

@oldenglishc said:

I have zero problem calling that a sandwich, mainly because it's a sandwich. The sandwich is in the bread, not in the filling. Whether it's, savoury, sweet, whatever - if it's inside bread of some sort, it's a sandwich.

Plus, quick googling for stuffed french toast recipes give plenty of hits that contain the word 'sandwich'.

By this definition a plate of two or more slices of regular french toast would be a syrup sandwich. No one has ever called it that.

#43 Posted by 49th (2692 posts) -

Sausage sandwich is distinctly different from a hot dog, therefore you are wrong.

#44 Posted by ShaggE (6336 posts) -

It occurs to me that you bread-sayers would call a calzone a sandwich, and to that I take umbrage!

#45 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2571 posts) -

I say no, because the bun of a hot dog is a 'edible container' specially made for utility.

#46 Posted by TyCobb (1945 posts) -

No.

Hot Dogs are, if anything, just a standard sandwich. They don't share any characteristics of an open sandwich. Just because a little bit of meat is exposed does not make it open since you are still grabbing the sides of the bun and eating it. That would make all sandwiches and burgers open.

#47 Edited by leebmx (2222 posts) -

Firstly that's french toast not bread. Secondly it has jam on the outside of the bread making it a desert or pudding. Otherwise bread and butter pudding would be a sandwich and we know that isn't the case. Theory back on track - but your querys and questions are welcome. I will be publishing a paper in next months Science Now which will explain in more detail about my theory and the work behind it.

#48 Edited by leebmx (2222 posts) -

@49th said:

Sausage sandwich is distinctly different from a hot dog, therefore you are wrong.

Its a different type of sausage, in different bread. The sandwich remains the same.

#49 Posted by Dalai (6998 posts) -

I have no opinion on the openness of durgers.

#50 Edited by oldenglishC (922 posts) -

@leebmx said:

@oldenglishc said:

Firstly that's french toast not bread. Secondly it has jam on the outside of the bread making it a desert or pudding. Otherwise bread and butter pudding would be a sandwich and we know that isn't the case. Theory back on track - but your querys and questions are welcome. I will be publishing a paper in next months Science Now which will explain in more detail about my theory and the work behind it.

Favorite. Internet. Argument. Ever.

A Monte Cristo is a sandwich served on french toast. Theory derailed!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.