Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 10, 2015

The sequel to Dennaton's hit 2D action game moves the neon murder from the '80s to a '90s setting, and concludes the series.

This just doesn't seem nearly as good

• 98 results
    Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

Hotline Miami 2 just doesn't seem nearly as good as the first game to me after playing it for about 1,5 hours. I'm still pretty early of course, and perhaps I'll learn to like it a lot more in the future. But so far I'm not digging the extreme focus on guns. The way rooms were set up in the first game, you could just tackle them with melee weapons if you planned it out right. That seems impossible here. You have to use guns, the way rooms are set up. The first game felt like you were puzzle solving each floor. Here it just seems like the emphasis lies on brutality, chaos and madness. I found myself having to constantly hold Shift to even see who could fire upon me; otherwise you get shot instantly from off camera. They made enemies not react to hearing gunfire to compensate it seems, but I just like this gameplay style a lot less.

The music is as great as before though. I'll definitely play more of it. It seems like I might get sold on it later perhaps? Just not digging it right now. How are you liking the game so far?

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I like it, and actually I think what you said about the guns is a plus, I barely saw any reason to use guns whatsoever in the first one but now they are much more effective, and I don't think you absolutely HAVE to use them, I mean I just went in a level with the "fists only, no weapons" dude and did pretty fine, you just have to make ample use of the "lure dudes to you by quickly making yourself visible then retreating" technique.

The only thing I'm really disliking is the story.. if you can call it that, makes absolutely no sense at all, in the first one it was bizarre and all but at least it had a understandable build up and continuity.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onarum: The story definitely sucked in the first one, it just accomplished some sort of intrigue by being extremely vague all the time.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Ghostiet

I love the gameplay. It's harder, but it's not half as hard as people make it out to be - it's just that the levels are bigger and the game likes to change the rules with the characters.

Story, I'm not so sure. Hotline Miami was a brilliant narrative, this one seems even more like an acid trip and the ending is really weird. I don't really understand what happened for a lot of it, but I'm also fairly sure that there's another ending, based on at least one level (Jake's second chapter) and the notes you collect in intermissions.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I'm really loving it. I actually don't mind the guns because I didn't use them that much in the first one so In a way it feels like a vastly different game because of the new focus. The soundtrack is amazing and generally I feel like there are more "story moments" like Pigmans breakout that feel really awesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I'm actually pretty into the narrative stuff but not feeling the gameplay as much. I don't know if it's the room layout or what but I don't feel like I have as much choice as the first one. It feels like most levels have a correct way to tackle them, even down to the weapon. Also some other aspects are just clunky and not great. The brother and sister combo just doesn't work well at all, the second person is always getting stuck on geometry, she even got stuck out of the level entirely three times in a row because she wouldn't go in through the door.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

They mentioned enemies shooting you from off-screen as a negative in the IGN review and it does sound like it would be frustrating. apparently there's a lock on system to negate some of the randomness of it but it seems like a bad idea to me and an obvious consequence of wanting to make the levels "bigger"

SkipperSonne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I don't get that off screen shooting thing, that was in the first one and was part of the challenge. Are games supposed to just be cakewalks now?

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's a lot more interesting mechanically simply because of the way it swaps characters on you and they each have their different restrictions and strengths that makes approaching things an interesting challenge. The rolling guy took a little bit to get used to, I kept rolling after finishing a guy on the ground, but once you get into that groove it's really satisfying to roll under bullets and just straight up gank dudes.

The gameplay I like better because of the character stuff. It adds a fun twist.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I like it more than the first one.

grapesoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree, I spent about an hour with it earlier today and it just didn't feel like it had the same magic that made the first one so great. I can't really place my finger on why that is just yet though.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By mike

I'm really enjoying the game so far. I have found that there seems to be more of a focus on looking ahead this time around. Due to the open nature of many of the floors, running in head first doesn't seem to be as valid of a tactic as it was in the first game.

I also don't think guns are required at all. There are certainly a lot of guns available, but that doesn't mean you have to use them. There is even a stage where guns are not even usable.

What I'm really looking forward to though is the Stem Workshop integration, which is supposed to be coming this Spring.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I can't say much because I haven't played too much but so far I am way into the soundtrack. It's just awesome.

Though, there does seem to be a lot more wide open spaces. It makes it really hard because often time you get killed right away from someone way off screen. It can be annoying. More so than the first game. But eh, growing pains and all that.

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#14  Edited By DonutFever

It does feel too reliant on guns, the less interesting style of combat, but I'm impressed by the multiple protagonists, and the style of the game still gets me.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Whitestripes09

Feels more like a shooter and not a very good one at that. I feel like Im just luring people to come attack me so I can blow them away in just one corner and then mop up the rest. There seems to be more waiting for enemies, which slows down the pace of the game, which doesn't feel very hotline miamish.. The characters aren't really likable, Jacket at least had some sense of morality when he saved the girl, this just seems like an acid trip with a bunch of pyschopaths. I don't like the level designs because of how many windows and open spaces there are compared to the first one.... like you literally can just spray and pray at certain parts and just get ridiculous combos. The soundtrack is pretty damn awesome though.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I changed my mind this game is awesome. WHO NEEDS GUNS!?

Loading Video...
    Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

The characters aren't really likable

Um, sometimes I feel like I'm suffering a catastrophic disconnect from reality. Still gonna throw this crazy thought out there: I think it's not Hotline: Miami's primary goal to portray likable characters.

Just downloaded and got started however. I'm thrilled, I can't wait to really tackle this. RPS and TB seem to think I'm gonna have a blast and I can't wait to find out if they're right!

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@n7 said:

Loading Video...

Tony is such a fucking boss. When the level editor comes out, I'm not using anyone else.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghostiet: Fuck yeah. I loved punching people to death in the first one and then this guy comes along and he can only punch people to death. It's great.

Also I'm pretty sure he hit a Rock Bottom off on that dog.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@n7: Yup. The fact that he's practically immune to big guys and dogs is fan(GET IT)-fucking-tastic. I kinda hope you unlock a mode where you can play as any character in all the levels after finishing on Hard.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@ghostiet said:

@n7 said:

Loading Video...

Tony is such a fucking boss. When the level editor comes out, I'm not using anyone else.

Yeah, just beat that level. Used Tony as well. He was the best in the last game and is still the best.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

I dunno, I played it for like an hour and the soundtrack still is the amazing, trance-like "murdermurdermurdermurder" techno fever dream that was so good in the first game.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Cirdain

@zevvion: I like the early game alot more than you but I feel it get worse. Here's an eariler comment I made somewhere else:

"Hotline Miami 2: Act 4: 14th Scene - Stronghold is where I am at & it is making quite sad. I was enjoying the smartly designed combat puzzles but then that came along. Christ. I wasn't good at playing the original Hotline Miami, I enjoyed it a lot but I never graded highly and now this is just getting way too difficult for me :(

I'm gonna wait until someone does some youtube walkthrough on that bit cos' the enemies that charge you and take multiple bullets are in full effect. Unfortunately there isn't much room to back up to shoot and when you can do that you use up ammo and the character refuses to pick up the enemies' weapons. So you have got to conserve your ammo across a multi-stage level, the ammo crates are very very rare and only have 10 bullets in them max. I don't know how to get through. :'(

...I think I'm just gonna walk away from Hotline Miami for now. The story in it seemed weird and mysterious in an intriguing way at the beginning act... but it's just repeating the same weird and mysterious feelings again and again. It just feels like an intro for 4 entire acts. I think I'm starting to not like hotline miami..."

So if you don't like using the guns the later army missions are no fun at all.

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At ~100 minutes in and just hitting act 2 I'm kind of loving it so far. It's taken me a while to get used to how open things are and to mix up using guns AND melee (I find a good mix of both to avoid triggering guys goes a long way) has got me slowly making progress. Overall it is super satisfying and sweet lord above the music... (unsurprising on that front)

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone that never played a second of the first game...

My god this game is awesome. It is annoying being shot by enemies that you can't see (offscreen) but I'm getting the hang of hiding behind walls and picking my spots better. And I'm very much digging the story so far even though it's not really coherent... all the characters are super scummy and I feel almost dirty playing it. But it's all so good.

Maybe I'll go back and play the first as well but there not being as much an emphasis on the story (from what I hear) kind of puts me off. I like all the story bits between killing rooms in the 2nd game.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handlas said:

As someone that never played a second of the first game...

My god this game is awesome. It is annoying being shot by enemies that you can't see (offscreen) but I'm getting the hang of hiding behind walls and picking my spots better. And I'm very much digging the story so far even though it's not really coherent... all the characters are super scummy and I feel almost dirty playing it. But it's all so good.

Maybe I'll go back and play the first as well but there not being as much an emphasis on the story (from what I hear) kind of puts me off. I like all the story bits between killing rooms in the 2nd game.

Don't cheat yourself! The story in the Hotline Miami's story may be sparse but it's well told for what's there and it's really more of an experience than a narrative. Basically instead of telling you a story it makes you trip balls.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

This game could have come out broken and not even able to launch, but as long as I could rip the soundtrack from the game files, I'd buy it.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ZolRoyce  Online

I hated the story of the 1st game until I read up on it and figured out some of the meaning behind what was going on and had it made clearer to me, at that point it became a story I really loved.
    Maybe I need for that to happen again with this game because the story is just... I don't know, it's like they set up a bunch of stuff but never get into what any of it means. I mean, I like the way it unfolds on screen as it is happening, each chapter I enjoy seeing the characters and the environment and the dialogue, it's enjoyable as it is happening. But when I try to go "Okay, but how does that fit in that? And how does that guy fit in with that other guy? Does any of this have a point, or it it just a bunch of hand waving 'look at how mysterious it all is' bullshit?" Maybe I need some time to think on it, or wait for a smart person to figure it out all out and read/hear what they have to say.
    As for the game itself, I did find myself using guns a LOT more than the 1st game, but didn't really mind, I felt like I was playing John Wick the video game or something, it was rather fun, hard as shit at times though, really hard, and I think I only managed to pull one S rank out of my ass somehow with chainsaw guy and a handful of A's due to the slow paced nature I found myself needing to play to beat it, show myself, run hide, stabstabstab repeat.
    Though I suppose the first game was like that for me as well and really was meant to be replayed over and over until perfection is achieved.
    To parrot everybody else, another great soundtrack.

In any case, I'm glad this is the last of the series it appears, at least for now. If they did such a good job with tone and music and just pure atmosphere with these games, I would be really excited to see what they do with a fresh game series.

OGJackWagon69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By OGJackWagon69

I think its dope, but the first one was sooooo fresh and surprising to me that obviously this one can't replicate that same feeling of elation through discovery. This is basically a complete expansion on all the things that made the original great

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By mikemcn

There's a level (In hotline Miami) that you can play-through without killing anyone (in hotline miami!?), that's fucking awesome, you can be batman, or you can go all axe-murdery and you throw off your jacket. (ITS HOTLINE MIAMI) That's amazing.

The gameplay is different but I'm excited for all the new characters, they really play differently, the masks were neat but they never really changed things too much.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It's fucking awesome. Like the original but with way more crazy. The biggest difference gameplay-wise with this is that I found myself using waaay more guns than I remember ever using in the first one. That said, my favourite missions by far are the ones where you're the writer.

Didn't take too long to beat. One sitting, 6 hours. Felt longer though. But Steam's got my time played for Hotline Miami 1 at 4 hours, so sequel confirmed I guess.

Wasn't very broken either. Occasionally the dogs would freak out and do donuts, and far less often enemies would get stuck in doors, spinning around really fast. Kinda just makes the whole thing seem more insane.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far I like it quite a bit. The constant deaths don't bother me so much because of the incredibly quick restarts the game features. I also appreciate how it builds upon the difficulty curve of Hotline Miami 1, rather than restarting it altogether.

Incidentally, is any duder here willing to do some trade thing so I can have the OST as well? I managed to snag a Steam key via Humble, but I can't do the same for the OST.

Edit: By trade thing, I meant that I would be willing to buy something for you that's worth the same amount/a bit more than the OST in exchange for the OST.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#35  Edited By L33T_HAXOR

I think I'm with you... About two hours in and I'm having fun, but the story just seems to be all over the place. The gameplay is fine but doesn't seem to have the novelty or energy that the first one had. There's plenty more to see, I could totally change my mind by the end. But that first game is a hard act to follow up...

climax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm 4 hours in and I'm enjoying it immensely. It is just different enough from the original that it feels fresh but its still has that hotline miami feel. As for the story, I'm hooked but still confused. I'm hoping the ending will clear things up from where I am right now.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ShaggE

I'm not far at all into it yet, but I'm really enjoying what I've played. I do wish they had focused more on melee (guns always felt like cheating to me in HLM), though.

I'm not sure how I feel about all the talk of the difficulty being vicious later on. On one hand, I like the process of dying and restarting until I find the perfect path through. Especially since they're pretty adamant that this is the last one in the series, so I want the game to last. On the other, HLM1 was plenty hard already.

EDIT: Somebody remind me never to look at Steam's forums unless it's absolutely necessary. What a shitshow.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I'm kinda coming around on it. Just did the first soldier mission and enjoyed it a lot actually. Gave me exactly what I wanted with the 3 smaller areas with multiple entry points. Also interesting mechanic in terms of managing ammo and switching to the knife to not call all the other enemies. It may even be my favorite level overall.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The level design doesn't seem as good so far and the story is getting kind of annoying. How light the story was in the first actually did it a favor. I'm thinking Ori might have been the game to get today, but oh well. There was no way they could capture the magic of the first.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Seeing lots of wildly different reactions in this thread.

That makes me excited.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Gameplay's as fun as ever. But I really need my guy that kills dudes with doors back.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Fear_the_Booboo

Well people seem to love it.

It's actually my disappointment of the year so far :(. Like OP, the level design that encourages using guns is a big minus for me. Obviously, the game is beatable without them in any level where they don't force you to use them, but still.

The open environment forces you to look everywhere, which slows down the gameplay. But even then, sometimes you cannot look far enough to see some ennemies with guns and they will totally get you. In the first one, since the room were smaller most of the time, that was never a problem.

I feel like the level design force me to use the crappy AI to my advantage. Said AI is extremely unreliable, sometimes hearing you from afar and sometimes being beside you without realising you're there. I can do exactly the same thing twice and die one time and survive the second time. It was the same thing in one but, again, it wasn't as much as a problem in the first game.

The music and style is obviously still there. So that's good.

I really hope I'll enjoy it more by the end. The first one was one of my favorite game ever. I'm actively hating some parts of Hotline Miami 2 right now.

Edit: I need to add. There's a lot a big dudes that you can only kill with guns and that don't die instantly when you shoot them. I hate them, not that I can't deal with them, just that I hate the fact that they obey different rules.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By mike

Does anyone know if the console versions are going to have access to custom maps and content like the PC version is with Steam Workshop support? I doubt it, but is there even going to be a level editor or anything like that? To me, that is the chief attraction of this game. If the editor and workshop support is well done, Hotline Miami 2 is a game I could end up coming back to over and over.

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TreeTrunk

No way it seems so much more awesome than the first one, I'll keep playing.

Edit: It's really good, I noticed a couple levels very similar to the first one but overall it keeps getting better as you go along, just like the first game.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@mb: They have not even announced it for PS4. I highly doubt it ever will get announced, either. It will most likely forever be a PC only feature.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

@mb: Console troll lolzors evilcat

I may not have had any interest in this series, but it's one I enjoy watching people play who are really good at it. Loving what I've heard of the soundtrack too.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems totally fine so far.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is what happens when you decide everything needs a sequel. Hotline Miami didn't need another game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.