Boss fights are intense!

#1 Posted by The_Hiro_Abides (1260 posts) -

So I'm near the end in a level called "Final Showdown". That fight feels like the end of Streets of Rage or Final Fight. I keep dying after beating the second part.

Anyway, the boss fight that is ostensibly just a clown car filled with a bunch of gun wielding dudes was intense. I would probably even call it cheap since one guy is always lobbing molotovs at you and that the respawn point is seconds before getting hit by said car. Felt amazing to win that scenario.

I feel like this game would have been fine without bosses but at least they don't feel as jarring as fighting bosses in Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

#2 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

Hearing that there are boss fights in this game will probably keep me from buying it.

#3 Posted by ericjohnson (52 posts) -

@Kerned: Just curious, why is that?

#4 Posted by bushpusherr (777 posts) -

@Kerned: There are only like 2 specific encounters where you fight important people that have specific patterns that you need to learn through trial and error to defeat, and neither of them take more than a minute. The one the OP is referring to is really just a car that busts in through the building and starts spawning guys out it, while someone throws molotovs at you. Not so much a "boss" character, I would say. You don't have to do anything special or learn patterns, just kill everyone that comes out of the car.

That specific encounter isn't too bad, there is a room directly above you when you spawn, just rush up there and you can get some pretty good cover immediately. Also, the molotovs the guy throws will harm the enemies as well.

#5 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (732 posts) -

The thing about that car boss thing is that the dude will lob molotovs at the walls you are standing behind; so all I did was hide, let him firebomb the wall, dudes would walk into it and die, then all I had to do was pick off the big dudes.

#6 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

@ericjohnson: I seldom find boss fights enjoyable; they are an outdated concept that is rarely done well anymore. Hearing the word "cheap" used in the same paragraph as "boss fight" is especially troubling. To be fair, I don't always hate a boss fight. My favorite game from this generation (Dark Souls) has some pretty crazy and difficult boss fights. Unfortunately, some otherwise great games have had boss fights that nearly ruined the whole experience for me (Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Uncharted 2 spring immediately to mind).

It's just a matter of how well it works in the context of the game.

#7 Posted by Animasta (14667 posts) -

@Kerned: don't worry, they really aren't that bad; they didn't take any longer than regular levels did.

#8 Posted by The_Hiro_Abides (1260 posts) -

I should mention that the first two fights were fine. It was only the third one where I was superbly annoyed. As for the fight I'm currently on the game crashed thus why I felt the need to make a thread.

#9 Posted by bvilleneuve (265 posts) -

@Kerned said:

@ericjohnson: I seldom find boss fights enjoyable; they are an outdated concept that is rarely done well anymore. Hearing the word "cheap" used in the same paragraph as "boss fight" is especially troubling. To be fair, I don't always hate a boss fight. My favorite game from this generation (Dark Souls) has some pretty crazy and difficult boss fights. Unfortunately, some otherwise great games have had boss fights that nearly ruined the whole experience for me (Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Uncharted 2 spring immediately to mind).

It's just a matter of how well it works in the context of the game.

Let me put it this way: Hotline Miami is essentially a puzzle game, and the "boss fights" fit perfectly into that arrangement as little self-contained puzzles that make you think about the mechanics in slightly different ways.

#10 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

@bvilleneuve: Well when you put it that way, the boss fights sound great.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.