Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hotline Miami

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 23, 2012

A top-down shooter game with an 80s aesthetic, a brutal style, and a thoughtful, slightly surreal philosophy underlying the story about the nature of violence.

Boss fights are intense!

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By the_hiro_abides

So I'm near the end in a level called "Final Showdown". That fight feels like the end of Streets of Rage or Final Fight. I keep dying after beating the second part.

Anyway, the boss fight that is ostensibly just a clown car filled with a bunch of gun wielding dudes was intense. I would probably even call it cheap since one guy is always lobbing molotovs at you and that the respawn point is seconds before getting hit by said car. Felt amazing to win that scenario.

I feel like this game would have been fine without bosses but at least they don't feel as jarring as fighting bosses in Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Kerned

Hearing that there are boss fights in this game will probably keep me from buying it.

ericjohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By ericjohnson

@Kerned: Just curious, why is that?

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By bushpusherr

@Kerned: There are only like 2 specific encounters where you fight important people that have specific patterns that you need to learn through trial and error to defeat, and neither of them take more than a minute. The one the OP is referring to is really just a car that busts in through the building and starts spawning guys out it, while someone throws molotovs at you. Not so much a "boss" character, I would say. You don't have to do anything special or learn patterns, just kill everyone that comes out of the car.

That specific encounter isn't too bad, there is a room directly above you when you spawn, just rush up there and you can get some pretty good cover immediately. Also, the molotovs the guy throws will harm the enemies as well.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

The thing about that car boss thing is that the dude will lob molotovs at the walls you are standing behind; so all I did was hide, let him firebomb the wall, dudes would walk into it and die, then all I had to do was pick off the big dudes.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Kerned

@ericjohnson: I seldom find boss fights enjoyable; they are an outdated concept that is rarely done well anymore. Hearing the word "cheap" used in the same paragraph as "boss fight" is especially troubling. To be fair, I don't always hate a boss fight. My favorite game from this generation (Dark Souls) has some pretty crazy and difficult boss fights. Unfortunately, some otherwise great games have had boss fights that nearly ruined the whole experience for me (Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Uncharted 2 spring immediately to mind).

It's just a matter of how well it works in the context of the game.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Animasta

@Kerned: don't worry, they really aren't that bad; they didn't take any longer than regular levels did.

the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By the_hiro_abides

I should mention that the first two fights were fine. It was only the third one where I was superbly annoyed. As for the fight I'm currently on the game crashed thus why I felt the need to make a thread.

bvilleneuve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By bvilleneuve

@Kerned said:

@ericjohnson: I seldom find boss fights enjoyable; they are an outdated concept that is rarely done well anymore. Hearing the word "cheap" used in the same paragraph as "boss fight" is especially troubling. To be fair, I don't always hate a boss fight. My favorite game from this generation (Dark Souls) has some pretty crazy and difficult boss fights. Unfortunately, some otherwise great games have had boss fights that nearly ruined the whole experience for me (Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Uncharted 2 spring immediately to mind).

It's just a matter of how well it works in the context of the game.

Let me put it this way: Hotline Miami is essentially a puzzle game, and the "boss fights" fit perfectly into that arrangement as little self-contained puzzles that make you think about the mechanics in slightly different ways.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Kerned

@bvilleneuve: Well when you put it that way, the boss fights sound great.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By glots

Oh man, he really got you there...and only two years late!

Now that I'm here, though, I'd like to say that I didn't really enjoy any of the boss fights. Last one had that great tune on the background, but it was still a bit meh...maybe because it kinda lost it's effect after you died a handful of times before succeeding. Hoping they'll turn-out better in the sequel.

the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By the_hiro_abides

@the_one_who_hurts_you: the me from 2 years ago would be hurt by that. As for now, uh, good job necroposting and trying to impugn my lack of skill. I'm sure this validates all your gracious abilities.

One thing good about reviving this thread is that it reminds me a Hotline Miami 2 is coming out!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.