Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hotline Miami

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 23, 2012

A top-down shooter game with an 80s aesthetic, a brutal style, and a thoughtful, slightly surreal philosophy underlying the story about the nature of violence.

Games of a Similar Style...

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By h0lgr

I was wondering if anyone knew of any games in a similar style to Hotline Miami. I don't mean gameplay wise, just the whole style and theme of it all. 
    Colors, rampant murdering, and insane nightmarish scenarios. Eighties. Doesn't have to be, but it fits the style and tone.  
    Have you seen Miami Blues, or Drive? Like that, but in videogame form. Man. I'm friggin craving. 
    I was really grabbed by the stylishness of Hotline Miami, and its use of soundtrack. 

If anyone has any tips you'd like to share, I'd be grateful!

SagaciousJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SagaciousJones

@h0lgr said:

Colors, rampant murdering, and insane nightmarish scenarios.

That describes Killer 7 in a nutshell. Not so much the Eighties part, though, plus you have to deal with a huge dose of Japanese weirdness which may turn people away (Not me! Just saying).

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#3  Edited By BeachThunder

Well, I suppose the obvious one is Vice City...

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By h0lgr
    @SagaciousJones said:

@h0lgr said:

Colors, rampant murdering, and insane nightmarish scenarios.

That describes Killer 7 in a nutshell. Not so much the Eighties part, though, plus you have to deal with a huge dose of Japanese weirdness which may turn people away (Not me! Just saying).

Good call. I've been hearing about that one. And yeah @BeachThunder: I played Vice City. Also a good call.
    BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By BoOzak

I'd say the original No More Heroes. It's not dark or anything just nonsensical, violent and colourful.

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By h0lgr
    @BoOzak: So if I have the choice, there's no point in skipping straight for the sequel? Are there any tonal differences? 
    dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By dungbootle

@h0lgr: The second one is more serious. I think you may want the story by playing the original first.

I'm seconding Killer7. Btw Killer7 and the NMH games are all by the same creator; he kinda specializes in craziness. I like Killer7 more and it fits the bizarreness whereas NMH fits the ultraviolence, though there is plenty of both in either. Killer7 is more abstract and NMH is more of a traditional action game.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By BoOzak

@h0lgr: The first one felt weirder to me, NMH2 plays a lot better though and doesnt require you to grind. So it's a trade off.

As for Killer 7 it's definately more abstract but it isnt very fun to play. (in my opinion)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.