Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hotline Miami

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 23, 2012

A top-down shooter game with an 80s aesthetic, a brutal style, and a thoughtful, slightly surreal philosophy underlying the story about the nature of violence.

Manic clicking instinct

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HerbieBug

I'm a little late to the party on this game. Downloaded and played some of it today. It is swell. ♥_♥

The gameplay is so fast paced I go absolutely nuts on the controls everytime I kick open the door of a room for the purpose of stabby doings. I do this even though I know the game will attack repeatedly as fast as is allowed if you just hold the mouse button down. But no! I MUST run in, rapidly click mouse anywhere from five to twenty times, SLAM the spacebar, then vigorously click mouse in rhythm with the execution. UH UH UH UH UH

Also, the way the game does the narrative bits is really smart. It's only a few small setpieces and the occasional couple lines of dialogue, but even so, I'm finding the story to be very involving so far.

deadmoscow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By deadmoscow

It's super visceral! It's such an intense game, it makes all sorts of lights and switches go nuts up in your brain. It feels super good to play.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Kyreo

I'm hoping it goes on sale... even though 10 dollars isn't that much... I still want to wait.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Ravenlight

@HerbieBug said:

the game will attack repeatedly as fast as is allowed if you just hold the mouse button down.

Haha really? I made it through the whole game without realizing that. Though my method of killing fucks involved precise clicking; I found the game punished me for just swinging wildly in some of the later levels.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By cornbredx
    @Ravenlight said:

@HerbieBug said:

the game will attack repeatedly as fast as is allowed if you just hold the mouse button down.

Haha really? I made it through the whole game without realizing that. Though my method of killing fucks involved precise clicking; I found the game punished me for just swinging wildly in some of the later levels.

Ya what he says. 
    I passed Hotline Miami yesterday and I have found 2 things. Aim quickly in the correct direction and click once per person. Although if you have a knife you may be able to get away with more, as a lot of your strategy will change based on the weapon you use (I tended to use bats, pipes, and the occasional katana). 
    I briefly messed around with the drill after I finished the game. That makes it really hard but the kill animation is brutal. 
    Also an interesting thing I found is dudes cant shoot you while you are sitting on someone to do a kill move so you can time it for short invulnerability. This doesn't work with melee-ers.
    Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Ravenlight

@CornBREDX said:

Also an interesting thing I found is dudes cant shoot you while you are sitting on someone to do a kill move so you can time it for short invulnerability.

In the same vein, if you're directly next to a dude with a gun, he'll shoot past you and not hit you. I cheesed the "boss" fight with this strategy.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By cornbredx
    @Ravenlight: Ya I know. I assume you mean the last boss. Really all that fight is about is placement, however you do it. Once you know where to stand and what not it is quite easy. I was surprised how brutal and yet fair the game tends to be.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.