Mask in Chapter 4

#1 Posted by ectoplasma (961 posts) -

I beat the epilogue and I'm going for the collectibles right now. Currently I can't seem to find the Mask on Chapter 4. What do I have to do to get it? I already got an A+ by running barehanded ^^. Anyone know what I have to do?

#2 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

There are chapters in this, dose everything have chapters now?

#3 Posted by ajamafalous (11848 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

What?

#4 Edited by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

@Dagbiker said:

What?

Personal Pet-Peeve, a lot of games don't need to be broken up into chapters, I just don't like it when games take a convention that has been adopted in one medium, when they don't need to. Chapters in books serve to break up the story telling mechanics, and scenery. Levels are the video game equivalent of chapters. And when games save every level load, or checkpoint, or anytime you want, and list what level you are on, then there is no real need for chapters except to make video games more like books. People don't talk about their favorite chapter from a game, or what happened on the last chapter of Portal 2, they talk about the levels in Portal 2.

#5 Posted by Largo6661 (332 posts) -

@Dagbiker: Chapters make life better.........fact!

#6 Posted by ajamafalous (11848 posts) -
@Dagbiker said:

@ajamafalous said:

@Dagbiker said:

What?

Personal Pet-Peeve, a lot of games don't need to be broken up into chapters, I just don't like it when games take a convention that has been adopted in one medium, when they don't need to. Chapters in books serve to break up the story telling mechanics, and scenery. Levels are the video game equivalent of chapters. And when games save every level load, or checkpoint, or anytime you want, and list what level you are on, then there is no real need for chapters except to make video games more like books. People don't talk about their favorite chapter from a game, or what happened on the last chapter of Portal 2, they talk about the levels in Portal 2.

Actually, Portal 2 was broken up into Chapters, with each Chapter being a related set of levels. The chapters even had names, and that's how you pick where to start on the level select from the main menu.

I kinda understand where you're coming from, but I've always just looked at it as a design decision, whether the developer wants to use chapters in place of levels or use chapters to group levels.
#7 Posted by StealthRaptor (526 posts) -

Is it possible to save the guy strapped to the chair? It looked like he was wearing a mask.

#8 Posted by ectoplasma (961 posts) -

Hey thanks for the tip. I don't think it's possible, but maybe theres a secret. That might be just it.

#9 Edited by ectoplasma (961 posts) -

DAMN. I was looking for the mask in Chapter 3 ^^. Oy vey...

Edit: Wait is it the bunny mask that gets unlocked there? I have the secret ending now and most of the other stuff and doing a+ runs. The mask is all grey I figured it means it's not unlocked, but maybe I was mistaken.

#10 Posted by Maajin (1052 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

Levels are the video game equivalent of chapters.

Exactly how it works on Hotline Miami.

#11 Edited by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@ajamafalous said:

@Dagbiker said:

What?

Chapters in books serve to break up the story telling mechanics, and scenery.

...which is exactly how this game uses chapters. There are five "parts", and those parts are divided into chapters...which in turn are the levels themselves and the portions of story is delivers in those.

@ectoplasma said:

Hey thanks for the tip. I don't think it's possible, but maybe theres a secret. That might be just it.

So far, the only secret mask I've found is Jake. Nonetheless, I would say to put on the Rasmus mask and see if any secrets show up.

#12 Posted by ectoplasma (961 posts) -

I got all of them now. It was a misconception of mine. I was just missing some "bonus" masks, which aren't always easy to spot. I just thought I miss the mask in this level because it was all greyed out. Anyway, feel free to discuss more about chapters now ;).

#13 Posted by TheMasterDS (2015 posts) -

@StealthRaptor said:

Is it possible to save the guy strapped to the chair? It looked like he was wearing a mask.

Oh shit, you're right! That was totally another masked maniac! That's a great touch throughout the game that takes a while to sink in. Occasionally there are corpses of other hotline killers on the premises killed in horrible ways. Make sure you seek them out, often their masks are ripe for the picking!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.