No music in game.

#1 Posted by Funzzo (823 posts) -

When ever I load this up I get this error.

ERROR in

action number 1

of Create Event

for object objDevolver:

Error defining an external function. I hit abort and the game loads up but without music. I get sound fx but no music. Is anyone else having this problem?

#2 Posted by McGrittles (92 posts) -

Some who had that problem said that restarting their computers have fixed it

#3 Posted by MaxOpower (176 posts) -

@Funzzo: Jep me too. FUCK, I bought this game for the music alone. Not that it isn't fun, but fuck the soundtrack i great.

#4 Edited by Funzzo (823 posts) -

Ya it's playable without sound right now but fuck that. I hope they patch this quick. Also I have re-installed/restated and done all the normal steam fix shit but nothing works.

#5 Posted by Funzzo (823 posts) -

Just tried installing game again and restarting computer. Now game wont even launch. WHAT THE FUCK!!! Don't put out broken fucking games! FUCK!

#6 Posted by ballsnbayonets (154 posts) -

yea i bought this game cuz the quicklook had awesome music and no music fuck.

#7 Posted by Chaser324 (5966 posts) -

Worked for me perfectly fine this morning, but now there's no music or the game crashes.

#8 Posted by Vitor (2789 posts) -

Having the same issue. Error 1 or whatever and then you can ignore it but no music. Seriously blows. It's just not much fun without it.

#9 Posted by FengShuiGod (1470 posts) -

At least you guys can play it. For some reason the game chugs at about 1 frame every 2 seconds for me.

#10 Posted by Boxing_Snatcher (20 posts) -

I was playing it fine earlier, but now I get "Unexpected Error when Running game". The fuck am I supposed to do with that? Thanks for the info game.

#11 Posted by adam1808 (1214 posts) -

OH man, the music is integral to that experience. My sympathies. Game is buggy as hell at present.

#12 Posted by mlarrabee (2759 posts) -

@Funzzo: Where did you buy it? Is it a zip file or an installation? I don't know how it's distributed, but I have some experience with Game Maker.

The game is trying to call the external library for playing the OGG soundtrack files but it can't find it.

Ensure your folder structure is intact. Make sure the DLL is in the proper place, which is probably the game's immediate directory or a music subdirectory.

#13 Posted by Doctorchimp (4063 posts) -

Came in just to say this...what a fucking bummer.

Whatever, I have the soundcloud page up, I think I'll hop on Sleeping Dogs for a bit. I hope they fix it soon.

#14 Posted by Metal_Mills (2948 posts) -

Same. I'm lucky to even launch it. Siiiiiiiigh.

#15 Posted by Funzzo (823 posts) -

I ran windows update and installed a few minor security updates and now it works. Not sure why. Great game.

#16 Posted by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

I didn't have music either, I installed windows 8, restarted the computer and have had music since.

#17 Posted by Funzzo (823 posts) -

Game has been patched and now it is not working once again.

#18 Posted by MaxOpower (176 posts) -

@Funzzo: A Patch? Where?!

#19 Posted by gaminghooligan (1344 posts) -

Yep same here, had music last night but now nothing after that error. It's such a bummer because the music really is amazing. Also whenever I try to turn on my gamepad controls I lose control of the game completely and have to go into Processes to close it, does anyone else have this issue?

#20 Posted by Funzzo (823 posts) -

@MaxOpower said:

@Funzzo: A Patch? Where?!

On steam go to view update history. When I could not get the game working I contacted Dennis Wedin (Dennaton Games) over steam chat about how to fix this. He said to uninstall and then re-install and restart computer. This worked for me. Game is running great. I wish that when I select start game it would start me where I left off and not at the first "how to kill tutorial".

#21 Edited by bjohndick (1 posts) -

I just had this issue - updated Visual C++, updated my graphics driver, reinstalled the game. Whatever I did, no music.

Scratched my head, ran the game as administrator, then music and facepalm ensued.

I'm using a limited account on a different computer than normal so it didn't immediately occur to me that it could be a user rights issue with the OGG library.

#22 Posted by Funzzo (823 posts) -

Game has just been patched again with 360 controller support which feels ok to me. KB&M still better. Also new bonus chapter!!!

#23 Posted by EVO (3781 posts) -

Patch didn't seem to fix it. I'm getting the error.

#24 Posted by Funzzo (823 posts) -

@EVO said:

Try this. Open task manager then click on "services" tab and find the one called spooler. It is the printer spooler. I turned this off and the game works every time now. I was getting an error every time I went to play this but now it starts right up with music.

#25 Posted by EVO (3781 posts) -

@Funzzo: Thanks, but after typing that message I restarted my computer and that fixed it.

#26 Posted by mattraymond16 (1 posts) -

Disabling the printer apps in my tray fixed this. The game's readme says printers may well affect the running of the game, but they don't know why. I also updated my graphics drivers, not sure which one fixed it but I reckon the printer!

#27 Edited by ProfessorEss (7123 posts) -

@Funzzo said:

@EVO said:

Try this. Open task manager then click on "services" tab and find the one called spooler. It is the printer spooler. I turned this off and the game works every time now. I was getting an error every time I went to play this but now it starts right up with music.

Thanks Funzzo. I tried ever other recommendation and none of them worked. Killed the spooler process and it's back up and running.

I never would've even considered doing this on my own :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.