Special Thanks to . . . Nicolas Winding Refn?!

#1 Posted by Winternet (8060 posts) -

Haha, what's that about? For making Drive? That's kinda funny. Also in the Special Thanks . . Edmund McMillen. Who is also a game tester with, among others, Terry Cavanagh. I thought that was also kinda cool.

#2 Posted by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

REAL HUMAN BEING.

#3 Edited by Loafsmooch (365 posts) -

Nicolas Winding Refn also created the Pusher trilogy, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117407/, Drive was pretty much the americanised, less violent, version of the Pusher movies. Doesn't surprise me that Refn influenced the developer of this game a lot with those movies. Pretty cool that he's mentioned in the special thanks though haha.

#4 Posted by Winternet (8060 posts) -

@Loafsmooch: I said Drive, because there's some similarities, from the aesthetics to music and people have been mentioned that fact. I don't know if you watched this game's trailer. It's pretty Drive-ish.

#5 Posted by Loafsmooch (365 posts) -

@Winternet: Indeed I have, I've finished the game too. And I agree, there's plenty of similarities in style. But I just thought it was worth mentioning the Pusher movies because they are sort of the spiritual prequels to Drive, also really violent and dark. Those movies can induce this same sort of "anxiety" feeling this game managed to do to me.

#6 Posted by Winternet (8060 posts) -

@Loafsmooch: Sure. I have not yet watched any of the Pusher movies. I did watch Bronson and Valhalla Rising, though.

#7 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1733 posts) -

AND A REAL HERO

#8 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1146 posts) -

Makes sense. Like you said, parts of it (especially that launch trailer) scream Drive.

#9 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7100 posts) -
@Vegetable_Side_Dish
AND A REAL HERO
Fuck you. Now I'm listening to the Drive soundtrack. Thanks. And if you're wondering, it goes surprisingly well with Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.

REAL HUMAN BEING
#10 Posted by Bucketdeth (8048 posts) -

DRIVE MOTHER FUCKERS.

#11 Posted by Live2bRighteous (315 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Vegetable_Side_Dish AND A REAL HERO!

REAL HUMAN BEING!

AND A REAAAAAL HEEEROOOO!

#12 Posted by Grissefar (2830 posts) -

Wow I can't believe there's 2012 remake of the original 1996 Pusher. It is probably a large chunk of shit.

#13 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1733 posts) -
@MariachiMacabre said:
@Vegetable_Side_Dish
AND A REAL HERO
Fuck you. Now I'm listening to the Drive soundtrack. Thanks. And if you're wondering, it goes surprisingly well with Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. REAL HUMAN BEING
No worries. It's a great soundtrack (shame about the shitty movie tho) 
#14 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7100 posts) -
@Vegetable_Side_Dish
@MariachiMacabre said:
@Vegetable_Side_Dish
AND A REAL HERO
Fuck you. Now I'm listening to the Drive soundtrack. Thanks. And if you're wondering, it goes surprisingly well with Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. REAL HUMAN BEING
You're insane that movie is great.
#15 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -
#16 Posted by PillClinton (3297 posts) -

Ok, now I'm definitely buying this game.

Valhalla Rising, BITCHES. ggpo

#17 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4501 posts) -
#18 Posted by EVO (3942 posts) -

@Loafsmooch said:

Drive was pretty much the americanised, less violent, version of the Pusher movies.

Less violent? I gotta see Pusher then, cause Drive was fucking brutal.

#19 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3998 posts) -

The guys behind this game seem like some cool dudes.

#20 Posted by FoolishChaos (447 posts) -
#21 Posted by algertman (852 posts) -

FOREVER EVER FOREVER EVER FOREVER EVER

#22 Posted by algertman (852 posts) -

@Loafsmooch said:

Nicolas Winding Refn also created the Pusher trilogy, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117407/, Drive was pretty much the americanised, less violent, version of the Pusher movies. Doesn't surprise me that Refn influenced the developer of this game a lot with those movies. Pretty cool that he's mentioned in the special thanks though haha.

I like the Pusher movies good enough. Drive is more about pure style than anything. Something the Pusher movies were lacking.

#23 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1733 posts) -
@MariachiMacabre said:
@Vegetable_Side_Dish
@MariachiMacabre said:
@Vegetable_Side_Dish
AND A REAL HERO
You're insane that movie is great.
Everyone else is insane not me :3

Seriously though it was so disappointing. Especially after the first scene was so promising. The most let down I've been in a cinema for years, true talk. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.