No recent wiki edits to this page.
What exactly is humanity?
Humanity is an object found in Dark Souls. It is found in both a consumable item form (referring to as "solid" form) and as an immaterial statistic displayed next to the players health and stamina (known as liquid form). Using solid Humanity will heal the player and convert it to liquid form. While in liquid form, the amount of humanity increases the player's resistance to the curse status effect and increase the chances of discovering items upon killing enemies.
How humanity is obtained:
- Solid humanity drops from a few types as regular monsters as well as most bosses and NPCs.
- Solid Humanity is also sold by vendors
- Liquid humanity can be acquired by killing a certain number of enemies in an area in which you have not yet killed the area boss.
- Through helping another player kill an area boss as a phantom will reward phantoms with liquid humanity.
- Killing invading phantoms, or invading and killing players rewards liquid humanity to players.
- The Dark Hand weapon's right hand strong attack preforms a grab attack which will suck humanity out of players and NPCs, the effectiveness determined by rank in the Darkwraith covanent.
How humanity is used:
- Solid humanity is a consumable item that heals the players and adds one to the current liquid humanity count. Unlike the estus flask, humanity can be used to heal as a phantom in other player's worlds.
- Liquid Humanity can be offered at bonfires to become human (known as "reverse hollowing" in-game) or to kindle bonfires. Human form allows summoning of friendly phantoms, but also leaves world open to invasion. Kindling a bonfire allows the player to raise the maximum number of times the estus flask may be used before replenishment.
- Certain Covenants need to be given humanity in order for the player to gain rank.
How humanity is lost:
- Along with souls, your liquid humanity count is lost upon death and can be recovered by returning to your green, glowing bloodstain.
- Dying in human form, but not as a phantom in other worlds, transforms the player back to hollowed form at respawn, losing the humanity used in the process. Characters in hollowed state cannot summon or invade, but can be summoned to other players' worlds (hollowed player sets down a summon point)
Humanity are fragments of the Dark Soul, the fourth Lord Soul found by the Furtive Pygmy. Humanity was split amongst all of mankind and gives them unique power. Humanity is utilized by the gods of Anor Londo, the Way of White and the firekeepers as fuel for the divine power of fire. Those branded with the Dark Sign, the so-called Undead, revive upon death, but lose their humanity. Referred to as Hollowing, this process causes the undead's body and mind to whither, eventually becoming feral zombie-like creatures.