Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Humble Bundle

Concept »

A digital storefront which donates some of its profits to charity.

Humble Bundle now tying Steam account - no Steam keys

savepoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By savepoint

So just bought the Team 17 Humble Bundle and it appears they now have you tie your Steam account directly to HB instead of just giving the keys. For some this may be a great time-saver, but I think it's a bummer as I always used the extra keys and put them in my kid's steam account. But I guess I understand since this will probably just end up being more sales for them...

As you can see, I already owned Worms Crazy Golf and I can't gift the extra code :(
    As you can see, I already owned Worms Crazy Golf and I can't gift the extra code :(

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It might just be for those games or it might also be to incentive more people to buy he bundles instead of begging for keys on the boards.

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TowerSixteen

Ahhh, lame. That'd probably affect my buying decision on occasion, being able to give away the extra codes is one of the reasons I liked those packs. If I want and don't own most of the games, that's one thing, but when I'm just trying to get at two or three of the titles being able to give away the rest was my main incentive to buy there.

Why are they doing this as anything other than an option, is it just a straight up "we're removing options from our customers because we think it might make them buy more?"

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

It's a real bummer that I can't gift extra keys to my friends, but then again it's a little crazy to complain when the bundles are so cheap.

katimanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ahhh, lame. That'd probably affect my buying decision on occasion, being able to give away the extra codes is one of the reasons I liked those packs. If I want and don't own most of the games, that's one thing, but when I'm just trying to get at two or three of the titles being able to give away the rest was my main incentive to buy there.

Why are they doing this as anything other than an option, is it just a straight up "we're removing options from our customers because we think it might make them buy more?"

There are sites that resell steam keys that they get from Bundles. It would help stop that too.

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@katimanic: Yeah, I suppose given how the Bundle is set up, I can see how that might be a problem. Still sucks for those of us who weren't abusing the system, however. I get that they are running a business, however.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Thinking about them as "customers" seems like the wrong idea to start with. Humble Bundle is meant to raise money for charity first, devs second, and itself third. You're not a customer when you buy a bundle, it's more like a donation, where you just happen to get tons of great games as a thank you gift. That's why some people spend thousands on the exact same stuff you can get for a fuckin dollar.

Whatever they can do to raise more money for good causes, shouldn't really be frowned on.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By jakob187

A lot of this was due to people using the extra keys as giveaways on stuff like Steamgifts.com as well as reselling the keys. Getting a bunch of keys for $1.00, starting up a shady website and selling them back for a higher price.

I think this sucks, but oh well.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

They didn't want people giving away keys. They asked people to stop giving away keys, and people kept giving away keys, so they came up with a system to stop people from giving away keys.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

How is Worms Revolution, by the way? I used to enjoy the Worms series tremendously. The last one I played was Worms World Party (which was a sort-of updated version of Worms 3). I tried some of the later ones, but they didn't manage to grab me as much as the first ones did. Have they gotten any better?

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

Sucks for people that weren't abusing it. As is often the case with things like this it's the few unscrupulous people taking advantage of a good thing that ruins it for the rest of us.

savepoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like they made an official statement about it. And at least they were perfectly honest about why they did it, which is what we assumed was the reason anyway. Bummer that they had to go this route with it but I completely understand with all of the abuse going on.

http://blog.humblebundle.com/post/65643651960/now-its-easier-to-add-games-to-your-steam-library

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aren't these games DRM free anyway? What's to stop someone from just giving his friend an exe. Good on them to stop the key reselling though, it got really bad during the EA bundle.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aren't these games DRM free anyway? What's to stop someone from just giving his friend an exe. Good on them to stop the key reselling though, it got really bad during the EA bundle.

You thought that was bad? There were scum buying bundles for $0.01 and selling them full price via paypal in the first 4-5 bundles or so.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By stackboy

I'm fine with this. I understand they want to make the most money they can. I usually donate most of my money to charity anyway and give the devs a little too.

It's only a few bucks anyway.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

That's fine I guess. It'll save time for sure.

JohnTunoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suppose they had to draw the line somewhere. The quality of the deals that the humble bundle group routinely offers is still unparalleled.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

That's a shame, but I get why they'd do it. Still, it was nice to give those extra keys to friends and family.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ripelivejam

hasn't interest started flagging in the bundles?

i think they shouldn't have put them out as frequently as they do. kinda ruins the allure/mystique about them.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Dang, well I guess it's sadly probably necessary.

CollegeGuyMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

@ripelivejam: The bigger problem for me is that the "main" numbered bundles have so many repeated games lately.

circlenine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good, this should have happened a lot sooner.

And to those complaining about not being able to gift extra keys to friends, is it really such a big deal to spend another 3-5 dollars for another set as a gift purchase to do that if you really wanted to?

ikilledthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With the Origin bundle i was able to activate both versions of codes Steam/Origin for those games so maybe its also part of that and as u mentioned not selling 2nd copies to people thus saving them money?

What i find odd tho is you paid for that key so why should it matter if you already have it on steam. That key is YOURS to do what u want with.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SexyToad

What i find odd tho is you paid for that key so why should it matter if you already have it on steam. That key is YOURS to do what u want with.

I guess what you have to realize that Humble Bundle does this mainly for charity. It was nice being able to pick up spare keys on forums, or giving them to friends or family, but with this new system, more money will be able to go to Humble Bundle. It's really not that bad, these are ~5$ bundles. It's not much to ask for a bundle of good games. I'll be sad to see keys go, but I guess it's for the greater good.

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would rather have seen them set a minimum price.

Yes it's for charity, but if I am pledging money on a bundle, it is with the expectation of getting exactly what I paid for

MattOnTheSite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'd like to be given the choice of activating the game on my Steam account or putting it in my inventory so I can gift it to someone. That would still stop resellers and solve everyone's problems, wouldn't it?

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By audiosnow
    Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Akyho

@mlarrabee said:

Well, they've changed the policies again. Now, if you already own a game you're given a special Humble Bundle link that will allow another Humble Bundle user to redeem that game, I assume through their own linked Steam profile.

As it happens...

Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes - https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=6bhAFXE6dVbmYXAd

The Whispered World - https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=cdEaABVdTHsfXHDZ

Hey thats cool. Keep the status quo on users and weeds out the scum.

Also I redeemed Edna and harvey, since I was just checking it out and going "I never get one of these, usually someone has snapped it up." turns out no. Ill check it out.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#29  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@mlarrabee said:

Well, they've changed the policies again. Now, if you already own a game you're given a special Humble Bundle link that will allow another Humble Bundle user to redeem that game, I assume through their own linked Steam profile.

I honestly didn't have a problem with them completely doing away with the key sharing. I've always found it crazy the way that some people beg for keys that they could get by just donating a few dollars to charity.

That being said, I guess this is a decent compromise that cuts off the resellers that were profiting from reselling the keys.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As it happens...

Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes - https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=6bhAFXE6dVbmYXAd

The Whispered World - https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=cdEaABVdTHsfXHDZ

Grabbed The Whispered World cus I wanted to see how this new system worked. Thanks duder. Now I feel sorta bad about it.

So here's a key for F.E.A.R. 2:

https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=saxapassWttCSxck

I'm not so sure how this is a deterrent for resellers though. It does advertise the Humble Bundle in every link though, so maybe that's how they'll lessen reselling.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324: I just like giving extra keys to some of my friends when I already have the game. Heck, sometimes getting a gift from a Bundle will convince me to go get one myself and pass on a gift too. I also just think it'd be a waste of a key, unless they can recycle them somehow.

Though I do think that resellers suck and beggars are annoying.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.