Scribblenauts Developer Reveals XBLA Shooter Hybrid

• 61 results
Posted by Steve_Ramirez (1257 posts) -
Scribblenauts and Super Scribblenauts creator 5th Cell is moving on from its Nintendo DS-based franchise to do something that appears to be both tonally and mechanically completely different. Its new game is a shooter called Hybrid, and while we don't know much about it just yet, we do know it's slated for release on Xbox Live Arcade and it's using Valve's Source engine.  

5th Cell's teaser website for Hybrid--which asks the question we most want an answer to, "What Is Hybrid?"--is up and available for browsing. Currently, there's a teaser video that shows off a ravaged, futuristic world. It also suggests that the game will feature two opposing factions: the Paladin and Variant. Check it out.

Hybrid smells like a competitive online shooter that could, as evidenced by the bouncing Variant dude, offer up some interesting special abilities... but that's just pure speculation. Since this unveiling, 5th Cell has said that Hybrid will offer a "completely new gameplay experience never seen before in the genre." Those are big, bold words, especially from a developer with no previous FPS experience. But then, that might be exactly the right studio to do something totally fresh. Think they can pull it off?
#1 Posted by Steve_Ramirez (1257 posts) -
Scribblenauts and Super Scribblenauts creator 5th Cell is moving on from its Nintendo DS-based franchise to do something that appears to be both tonally and mechanically completely different. Its new game is a shooter called Hybrid, and while we don't know much about it just yet, we do know it's slated for release on Xbox Live Arcade and it's using Valve's Source engine.  

5th Cell's teaser website for Hybrid--which asks the question we most want an answer to, "What Is Hybrid?"--is up and available for browsing. Currently, there's a teaser video that shows off a ravaged, futuristic world. It also suggests that the game will feature two opposing factions: the Paladin and Variant. Check it out.

Hybrid smells like a competitive online shooter that could, as evidenced by the bouncing Variant dude, offer up some interesting special abilities... but that's just pure speculation. Since this unveiling, 5th Cell has said that Hybrid will offer a "completely new gameplay experience never seen before in the genre." Those are big, bold words, especially from a developer with no previous FPS experience. But then, that might be exactly the right studio to do something totally fresh. Think they can pull it off?
#2 Posted by Raymayne (1226 posts) -

BIG FLYING HAPPY TURQUOISE GUN WITH WHEELS!

#3 Posted by Colin (707 posts) -

Hot.

#4 Posted by Novyx (479 posts) -

Looks nice.

#5 Posted by Goopynose (62 posts) -

Lame

#6 Posted by BetaMax (130 posts) -

I'll hold out for Super Hybrid. 

#7 Posted by Meltac (1992 posts) -

Interesting. 

#8 Posted by mastrbiggy (229 posts) -

interesting

#9 Posted by BeachThunder (11643 posts) -

o_o This is like the complete polar opposite of everything else they've ever made...

#10 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

5th Cell? Awesome!

Post-Apocalyptic 3rd person shooter? Oh, nevermind.

#11 Posted by JackSukeru (5898 posts) -

That red Tron dude was totally running on the ceiling for a moment there.

#12 Posted by Majestic_XII (95 posts) -

I for one think they're crazy for picking up the Source engine.

#13 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

This is bear-riding-a-bear crazy.

#14 Posted by Yzzerdd (521 posts) -
@jonnyboy said:
" 5th Cell? Awesome!  Post-Apocalyptic 3rd person shooter? Oh, nevermind. "
Pretty much this
#15 Posted by Polygon_Wizard (5 posts) -

At this point, all I can do is shrug my shoulders a bit and hesitantly say, "Okay?"  I think 5th Cell is awesome, but I really have no idea what to make of this yet. Hope it ends up being awesome.

#16 Posted by Grilledcheez (3942 posts) -

I like games

#17 Posted by byrjun (153 posts) -

Daddy is both mad AND disappointed!

#18 Posted by Doctorchimp (4067 posts) -

So for this first one, I'll have to control it indirectly and use the same weapon the whole game but the second one is gonna be awesome.

#19 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

"God didn't create God, man did."

#20 Posted by blueaniman93 (604 posts) -

weird, but interesting 
can''t wait anyways

#21 Posted by MjHealy (1817 posts) -

Are Mega 64 in it?

#22 Posted by l3illyl3ob (277 posts) -

Source, huh?  First Bloody Good Time, now Hybrid.  Wonder if there's any other third party Source games coming out soon.  Also I wonder if this will get a PC port since it's Source.

#23 Posted by Milkman (16483 posts) -

Lame trailer.

#24 Posted by Funkydupe (3305 posts) -

Are there any bears in this game?

#25 Edited by MisterMouse (3539 posts) -

that is pretty crazy oh and "war has changed"

#26 Posted by bhhawks78 (1201 posts) -

Too bad it's source engine.  I love valve for steam but can't stand the way source feels for shooters.

#27 Posted by FreakAche (2948 posts) -

Huh?

#28 Posted by syrupychinadian (12 posts) -

Here's the connection: You use an adjective and a noun to describe your special ability and will have to change it on the fly for maximum damage!

#29 Posted by Nedemis (56 posts) -
@Scooper said:
" "God didn't create God, man did." "
nope, nice try though.
#30 Posted by CookieMonster (2414 posts) -

I'm strangely interested...

#31 Posted by mnzy (2911 posts) -
@Nedemis said:
" @Scooper said:
nope, nice try though. "
Any proof on that? 8)
#32 Posted by m2cks (575 posts) -

This is absolutely nuts, but its nuts with a pinch of awesome mixed in with good measure.

#33 Posted by GozerTC (454 posts) -

*Shrugs*  

Sure I'd like to be surprised in the FPS genre, I really would, but I'm not seeing it here.  We'll see though. 
#34 Posted by Depressing_Wizard (186 posts) -

War never changes.

#35 Posted by Aureoloss (60 posts) -

those teaser trailer videos could make a month of diarrhea look good. i'll wait for gameplay footage 

#36 Posted by afrofools (1312 posts) -

Ha, I just came to post this myself, but looks like I don't have to. 

These guys have balls to move onto something new and risky from a critically-acclaimed franchise that they only just started. Come to think of it though, Scribblenaughts was a risky game for a studio to make, both technically and whether or not it can be marketed to a big enough audience to prove worthwhile.

#37 Posted by MrKlorox (11198 posts) -

Article titles either need to start showing the game name in italics, or to not have every single inconsequential word capitalized.

#38 Posted by RagingLion (1363 posts) -

Hmm, that guy did just come out of being invisible and then run on the ceiling before jumping down.  It'll still take a lot for this to stand out among the genre and even more for someone like me to take interest.

#39 Posted by CrescentFresh (126 posts) -

I believe!

#40 Posted by Chuck_ (192 posts) -

Where's the microscopic shovel?

#41 Posted by ffdthree (200 posts) -
@mnzy said:
" @Nedemis said:
" @Scooper said:
nope, nice try though. "
Any proof on that? 8) "
You are you requesting proof from?
#42 Edited by Coombs (3449 posts) -
@ffdthree:  

religious = Based on "faith" 
rational = based on EVOLUTION 

faith cannot be proven or dis-proven  
evolution IS proven  

Rationality wins 

also, 
This game looks...... 
Wait can I see another 2 seconds of movement before deciding?
#43 Posted by crustwheel (28 posts) -

God didn't create hell, Bavarians did.

#44 Posted by gogobomb (63 posts) -

hmm, seems like a weird thing for 5thcell to make, but 5thcell is awesome in what they've done so far, so i'll keep an open mind

#45 Posted by YukoAsho (2001 posts) -
@ChuckNoLuck said:
" Where's the microscopic shovel? "
Or for that matter, the bear riding a bear?

Seriously, 5th Cell, come ON.
#46 Posted by Gee_rad (61 posts) -

I hate teasers like this that don't tell you anything. Movies do that all the time to try to get viral marketing. That said, I'm curious to know what 5th Cell's twist on it is. I don't see them making a generic shooter.

#47 Posted by faux (16 posts) -

Hm, kind of a tease, but looks interesting.

#48 Posted by roughplague (131 posts) -

will you be able to write what you want to use as weapons? "gaint flying green polkadotted awesome laser cannon" maybe? will you be able to summon a "tiny agressive pink dragon with angel wings"?
joking aside, I wonder what gave them this idea, going from innovative puzzle game to possibly a generic shooter with minium experience in that area? it's not really a natural progression =/

#49 Posted by crazyleaves (636 posts) -

I don't own a 360 so, yay!

#50 Posted by BillyMethers (149 posts) -
@crustwheel said:
" God didn't create hell, Bavarians did. "
That's exactly what I heard too when I watched it. I was like "what?"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.