Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hydrophobia

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 29, 2010

Kate Wilson is a systems engineer who must defend a city-sized cruise liner from a terrorist attack in this XBLA/PSN title. The water physics play an integral part in combating the terrorists and moving around the cruise liner which poses a problem as Kate is aquaphobic.

Discless: Hydrophobia

gamezombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By gamezombie

Hello everyone, and welcome to the first (of hopefully many) reviews titled Discless. These reviews will cover digital-download only games, such as those of the Xbox Live Arcade (XBL for short), PlayStation Network (PSN), and more.

Time to grab your swimsuit, jump in, and make a splash, because today, we’re looking at Hydrophobia, a game by Dark Energy Digital. Hydrophobia is a short, third-person adventure game that takes place in the mid-21 century, aboard a giant city-ship known as The Queen of the World. You play as Kate Wilson, an engineer aboard the ship. Without revealing too much of the plot, her peaceful lifestyle is interrupted when explosions and hull breaches begin to occur on the ship, and Kate finds herself thrust into a situation in which the fate of the ship is resting on her shoulders. As Kate uncovers the mystery behind the strange occurrences, she will meet many allies, make many enemies, and discover that the world is much less peaceful than predicted. One more note about the story: It is incomplete. Hydrophobia has been said to be a three-part trilogy, so the first game ends in a cliff hangar. I was disappointed, but it certainly left me wanting more.

Gameplay revolves around water physics (big surprise there, I’m sure), which are phenomenal, as the water is free flowing and drastically affects the world around it. In other games, when a player enters the water, there may be a splash and some ripples and they start swimming. In Hydrophobia, water currents will push the player around, rushing water can slam the player into walls and floors (I died a few times in such a manner), and it can even carry around floating fuel fires from destroyed fuel barrels, forcing the player underwater. The amount of water in each area the player enters can be altered by different actions. For example, one player may choose to destroy fuel barrels in order to blow a breach in the wall and allow more water in, whereas another player may search for a pump control system that can decrease the amount of water in the area.

Hydrophobia‘s gameplay also features a sort of Assassin’s Creed\Tomb Raider hybrid climbing system. Kate can scale walls, balance on beams, hoist herself onto ledges, jump from platform to platform, shimmy across pipes and ledges, and much more. It makes getting around the ship a lot more enjoyable than running down corridors and swimming everywhere. There are all sorts of nooks and crannies you can maneuver Kate into, and bonus goodies you can find in some of the most obscure locations. 

The third-person shooter combat style is also affected by water. The game features two combat styles: Land and water. The two are identical except for two changes: In water combat, you have a free range of motion, up, down, left, right, forward, back, you name it, you can do it. In addition to the free range of movement, the player must monitor their oxygen level and periodically surface to replenish their air. The player’s weapon is designed such that the first shot knocks an enemy unconscious, which it can later recover from. The second shot will be a kill shot, but you must shoot the opponent while they are unconscious from the first shot. On land, the opponents can recover from the first shot. Underwater, if the enemy winds up unconscious in an area where they cannot drift to the surface, they will usually drown (some recovered while I was fighting them). There are certain enemies that have dive masks that nullify that effect, but the one-two punch of your weapon can quickly dispatch them.

Hydrophobia is probably one of the most fun XBL Arcade games I’ve ever owned. The water physics blow me away, the story is incredibly intriguing, and the gameplay is fantastic. If you like games like Tomb Raider, Uncharted, or Assassin’s Creed, then this game is right up your alley. If you dislike short stories or cliff hanger endings, you might be out of luck with Hydrophobia. So if you’re looking for a great game at an inexpensive price from the XBL Arcade, download a copy of Hydrophobia for only $15.

gamezombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By gamezombie

Hello everyone, and welcome to the first (of hopefully many) reviews titled Discless. These reviews will cover digital-download only games, such as those of the Xbox Live Arcade (XBL for short), PlayStation Network (PSN), and more.

Time to grab your swimsuit, jump in, and make a splash, because today, we’re looking at Hydrophobia, a game by Dark Energy Digital. Hydrophobia is a short, third-person adventure game that takes place in the mid-21 century, aboard a giant city-ship known as The Queen of the World. You play as Kate Wilson, an engineer aboard the ship. Without revealing too much of the plot, her peaceful lifestyle is interrupted when explosions and hull breaches begin to occur on the ship, and Kate finds herself thrust into a situation in which the fate of the ship is resting on her shoulders. As Kate uncovers the mystery behind the strange occurrences, she will meet many allies, make many enemies, and discover that the world is much less peaceful than predicted. One more note about the story: It is incomplete. Hydrophobia has been said to be a three-part trilogy, so the first game ends in a cliff hangar. I was disappointed, but it certainly left me wanting more.

Gameplay revolves around water physics (big surprise there, I’m sure), which are phenomenal, as the water is free flowing and drastically affects the world around it. In other games, when a player enters the water, there may be a splash and some ripples and they start swimming. In Hydrophobia, water currents will push the player around, rushing water can slam the player into walls and floors (I died a few times in such a manner), and it can even carry around floating fuel fires from destroyed fuel barrels, forcing the player underwater. The amount of water in each area the player enters can be altered by different actions. For example, one player may choose to destroy fuel barrels in order to blow a breach in the wall and allow more water in, whereas another player may search for a pump control system that can decrease the amount of water in the area.

Hydrophobia‘s gameplay also features a sort of Assassin’s Creed\Tomb Raider hybrid climbing system. Kate can scale walls, balance on beams, hoist herself onto ledges, jump from platform to platform, shimmy across pipes and ledges, and much more. It makes getting around the ship a lot more enjoyable than running down corridors and swimming everywhere. There are all sorts of nooks and crannies you can maneuver Kate into, and bonus goodies you can find in some of the most obscure locations. 

The third-person shooter combat style is also affected by water. The game features two combat styles: Land and water. The two are identical except for two changes: In water combat, you have a free range of motion, up, down, left, right, forward, back, you name it, you can do it. In addition to the free range of movement, the player must monitor their oxygen level and periodically surface to replenish their air. The player’s weapon is designed such that the first shot knocks an enemy unconscious, which it can later recover from. The second shot will be a kill shot, but you must shoot the opponent while they are unconscious from the first shot. On land, the opponents can recover from the first shot. Underwater, if the enemy winds up unconscious in an area where they cannot drift to the surface, they will usually drown (some recovered while I was fighting them). There are certain enemies that have dive masks that nullify that effect, but the one-two punch of your weapon can quickly dispatch them.

Hydrophobia is probably one of the most fun XBL Arcade games I’ve ever owned. The water physics blow me away, the story is incredibly intriguing, and the gameplay is fantastic. If you like games like Tomb Raider, Uncharted, or Assassin’s Creed, then this game is right up your alley. If you dislike short stories or cliff hanger endings, you might be out of luck with Hydrophobia. So if you’re looking for a great game at an inexpensive price from the XBL Arcade, download a copy of Hydrophobia for only $15.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@gamezombie:  If I say I don't like hyrdophobia will you phone up my boss and ask to speak to me?

Seriously, though, I've heard the big patch they released still leaves the game in a terrible state.
    Vexed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Vexed
    @gamezombie:

It's $10, not $15 (at least on XBLA).  They dropped the price permanently because the game sold so poorly.
    Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been meaning to pick this up for an age, I really enjoyed the demo actually (pre-patch too) despite obvious technical problems. There was some definite heart on show, a good idea and some fun enough platforming. 

gamezombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By gamezombie
    @GetEveryone: I'll yell at you AND your boss haha
    RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By RichardLOlson

I've played the game and beat it, the game sucks.  I wish I hadn't paid the $15 dollars for the game.  It looked promising, but was sorely disappointed.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By YoungFrey

I just finished Hydrophobia today.  It is a bad game.  Even with the massive Pure patch, it is still a bad game (I played the original demo and can say the patch did improve things).  The water physics are cool, hopefully they will end up in a better game someday.  The combat is poor, the wall climbing sections are very slow and methodical, and the ending is so poorly placed as to feel deliberate.  There might be a real story buried in the game, but I wasn't enthralled enough to spend it reading notes and journal entries.  And the poor sound work made me miss a lot of the voice overs.  I bought it for $5.  I'd say, it's worth whatever sum you don't consider important.  For me that was $5 so I don't feel ripped off.  If you were capable of feeling you wasted $5, wait for it to cost less. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.