Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hydrophobia

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 29, 2010

Kate Wilson is a systems engineer who must defend a city-sized cruise liner from a terrorist attack in this XBLA/PSN title. The water physics play an integral part in combating the terrorists and moving around the cruise liner which poses a problem as Kate is aquaphobic.

Hydrophobia 400pts this week - worth it?

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By benjaebe

I haven't heard much about this game since the huge title update awhile back - at 400points is this game worth a look or is it still pretty subpar? I was excited before it came out, but the first release and quicklook was really disappointing.

JustinSane311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By JustinSane311

Here's a crazy idea, how about downloading the demo and trying the game. 

I personally retried the demo and still didn't enjoy the game or the changes they made to it.

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle
    @JustinSane311 said:
    " Here's a crazy idea, how about downloading the demo and trying the game.  I personally retried the demo and still didn't enjoy the game or the changes they made to it. "
    The title update affects the actual demo? Didn't realize that. 
    JustinSane311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JustinSane311
    @A_Cute_Squirtle: I'm pretty sure that it does because after downloading the demo, I had to then download the patch.
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By benjaebe
    @JustinSane311 said:
    " Here's a crazy idea, how about downloading the demo and trying the game.  I personally retried the demo and still didn't enjoy the game or the changes they made to it. "
    I wasn't aware the title update changed the demo. I figured I would ask people who had played through the game, though, since they would know more than a demo could tell me.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By Yummylee

Only for GOLD members? Would totally snatch that otherwise =/

oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By oatz

na

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#8  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

From the demo I played and the critical reception it got I'd say there are much better things you could spend your points on.

KittenMitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By KittenMitten

Got this game a couple of hours ago.  Totally worth the $5.  While some aspects of the game are a little bland, I feel they do enough interesting things to change it up for an evening.  Hydrophobia feels like the skeleton of a good $60, and I honestly would like to see what the developer could do in the future.  Its also nice to see them supporting their product, and asking for player feedback earlier this week.   

Again, worth $5. Then again, I'll buy almost anything for $5.

kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#10  Edited By kalmis

Been thinking about the same. Don't think the QL did justice to the game. 
    @KittenMitten: Yeah can't really go wrong with a price like that.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By YoungFrey

I don't regret my purchase, but it's not because Hydrophobia rocks.  I just wanted my curiosity satisfied.  I played the original demo and it was trash.  But after the patch it's entirely ok.  The first price of $15 for that broken version was a straight up crime.  But $5 is about what I'll drop on a whim.  I got to satisfy my curiosity.  It's very short, so I might replay it for the S-Rank, but I'm not going to tell anyone to buy it because it's great.  Buy it if you have any curiosity and consider $5 trivial.  I hope they get a chance to make another one, I think they could do a lot now that they have the engine in a much better state.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xyzygy

Deals like this are what makes me really want Gold. Sometimes they have such awesome deals, other times it's just stupid nonsense.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Jackel2072

after playing the updated demo it was enjoyable. i was downloading the new maps for black ops and saw this for 400. so i snagged it. 

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Malakhii

I was going to buy it, but after hearing brad put it down on the podcast, well I think I'll save my points for another day. 

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By subject2change

I played through the demo at PAX and thought it was pretty neat. However it wasn't polished nearly enough and wouldn't of spent at the time the 10 or 15 they were charging when it launched. For 5 I may consider it, I have a lot to play already from last year and prior in my back log but for 5 bucks its kinda hard to pass up.

jasonlblair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By jasonlblair
    @KittenMitten said:
    " Got this game a couple of hours ago.  Totally worth the $5.  While some aspects of the game are a little bland, I feel they do enough interesting things to change it up for an evening.  Hydrophobia feels like the skeleton of a good $60, and I honestly would like to see what the developer could do in the future.  Its also nice to see them supporting their product, and asking for player feedback earlier this week.    Again, worth $5. Then again, I'll buy almost anything for $5. "
    I agree with this. Played the original demo and didn't enjoy it. Clunky controls and strange pacing marred the experience. But the title update really polishes it, and the new controls (and camera? Camera seems less floaty but not sure if that's actual or poor memory) do wonders. Easily worth the $5.

I look forward to Dark Energy's next game, whether it's XBLA or retail.
    Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Karl_Boss

For the improvements and the fact that its 800 points cheaper than it was at launch, I would say its worth it.

ShawnS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 41

#18  Edited By ShawnS

Just finished playing it (and am still unsure if there's more to it on Hard difficulty) but for 400 points, if you're not expecting a Gears caliber cover-based shooter, it's pretty cool. Reminds me a little of Disaster Report/Raw Danger but not nearly as peculiar. The water physics are really great and play into the basic puzzle solving and can be used (along with lots of exploding barrels and other hazards) to deal with idiot enemies in funny ways. So yeah, for 400 points it's a nice enough little adventure that isn't quite like anything else on XBLA. I enjoyed it and am happy to start it again on Hard to see what else I can find!

Faroon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Faroon

It's certainly worth the 400 points I paid for it.  If I'd paid the full 1200 I would have been miffed, particularly 1200 points for the original.  The updated version plays well enough, but it's all just  a bit "loose" - targetting, cover, unseen enemies, the hacking, the combat in general, etc.  

But worth 400 points, definitely.

LightRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By LightRain

Only 400 points? Thanks for letting me know, I might go buy Microsoft points now.

LittleBigJono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LittleBigJono

I believe it also ends in some weird cliffhanger, watch out for that

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.