Worst trial version ever?

#1 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3555 posts) -

No guns, no weapons of any sort, no enemies, and no gameplay using water in anything even approaching interactivity. If this was my only exposure to the game, I'd swear it was a really shitty Tomb Raider clone with poor climbing controls. This actually being my only exposure to this game (aside from some preview videos I watched ages ago) I'm not entirely sure that it ISN'T a shitty Tomb Raider clone with poor climbing controls.  What the hell?

Simply awful. Failure in a downloadable format.  Even if this was on sale for five dollars, I wouldn't buy it, because I can't experience any actual gameplay so I can decide if I want to buy the damn thing.  After some of the poor reviews this game is getting, the WORST thing it could have going against it is an awful trial version, but here we are.

#2 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

Expect your call from their PR department telling you you were playing the trial wrong any minute.

#3 Posted by Bennyishere (1685 posts) -

From what I hear the full game is not much better, but you better be quiet about it unless you want a lady to call you in the middle of the night. Wait... I kind of do.

#4 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -
@Pinworm45 said:
" Expect your call from their PR department telling you you were playing the trial wrong any minute. "
Haha, yep. They've literally been telling people that they aren't playing the game right.
#5 Posted by Bones8677 (3210 posts) -

I could have played the trial game 5 times in the time it took to download and install from the marketplace. >_>

#6 Posted by ptys (1882 posts) -
@SpaceInsomniac said:

" No guns, no weapons of any sort, no enemies... 

Here's the problem with mainstream gaming right there! Although you do go on to say,
            |   "... and no gameplay using water."
so you're forgiven. But I'm just so sick of this "guns and violence equals cool" attitude with the industry, it's so dated.
#7 Posted by JJOR64 (18906 posts) -

I think the worst Trail Version for an XBLA game is SOTN.  All you get to do is the beginning part with Richter and that's it.

#8 Edited by rjayb89 (7717 posts) -

I think I drowned after pulling this lever I had to pull, or think I had to pull and died anyway.  Not only that but the movement (seemed too loose) and voice acting (needs sound leveling) kind of put me off.  I've been subject to much worse though, so whatevs, man.

#9 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2907 posts) -

This is why you don't put your demo at the very beginning of the game. The cutscene to gameplay ratio was at least 3:1.

#10 Posted by TwoLines (2788 posts) -
@JJOR64: Nope, you get an hour of gameplay. The Richter part takes 5 minutes.
#11 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -
@ptys said:
" @SpaceInsomniac said:

Here's the problem with mainstream gaming right there! Although you do go on to say,             |   "... and no gameplay using water." so you're forgiven. But I'm just so sick of this "guns and violence equals cool" attitude with the industry, it's so dated. "
That's not what he was saying.. He was saying there was absolutely no gameplay, certainly not any of the gameplay that the game claims to be comprised of. I don't know where you got the ridiculous idea that he said the game 'wasn't cool because it didn't have guns and violence"
#12 Edited by Wasara88 (332 posts) -
@ptys:  Well for a game to be an actual game it needs to have obstacles and challenges for the player to overcome and all that the trial version offered was shitty platforming. And the fact that the game is a cover based 3rd person shooter it's fair to except some enemies to blast away in the trial version of the said game. 
The game had promise but too bad it couldn't deliver. I'm fairly sure that the game that has so wonky controls wont be a delight to play even when you get to the actual gameplay and start to blast some enviromentalist (which would have been nice :P ). PASS
#13 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -

I can remember reading a bit about Hydrophobia, and how it would reinvent the use of water in games. After reading some of the reviews, it might have just failed in doing that. It's a shame, because when the game sounded like it was going to be a retail release, I liked the concept. The story sounded quite unique, and I was curious as to when it would be released. Now, I'm curious as to when it gets good. Are you serious that the PR department are telling people they are not playing the game correctly? I must see this!

#15 Posted by BoringK (258 posts) -

Worst trial version I can remember is War World. If I remember correctly, it gives you something like thirty seconds in a match against bots before kicking you back to the main menu. That's all you can do in the trial.

I actually unlocked the full version of Hydrophobia before the trial ended, when I got the first achievement. Not one of my better choices, I must say.

#16 Posted by SPACETURTLE (1622 posts) -
@Pinworm45 said:
" Expect your call from their PR department telling you you were playing the trial wrong any minute. "
Spot on!
#17 Posted by RichardLOlson (1852 posts) -

I had thought about unlocking the full game, but then I realized that the game was shit and didn't want to bother with it.

#18 Posted by Jemenez (274 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" I think the worst Trail Version for an XBLA game is SOTN.  All you get to do is the beginning part with Richter and that's it. "
I hope you're trolling, you get to play as long as you want until you die
#19 Posted by ZeroCast (1869 posts) -

Huh, that's weird. It's like they intentionally want to show how their engine works instead of letting you experience the shooting mechanics. How are you supposed to make a decision on buying the game based on that?

#20 Posted by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

That bad, huh? I think I have to go start downloading this right now.

#21 Posted by Raymayne (1226 posts) -

Yep, it sucks. Shame, that.

#22 Posted by habster3 (3595 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
"I think the worst Trail Version for an XBLA game is SOTN.  All you get to do is the beginning part with Richter and that's it. "
Ugh; that was one of my least favorite parts of the game.
#23 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -
@ptys said:
" @SpaceInsomniac said:

Here's the problem with mainstream gaming right there! Although you do go on to say,             |   "... and no gameplay using water." so you're forgiven. But I'm just so sick of this "guns and violence equals cool" attitude with the industry, it's so dated. "

If you can't shoot shit, it ain't worth shit. 

Official slogan of Kentucket County.

#24 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

I just played it.  It was bad.

Controls were crappy as well.

#25 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3555 posts) -
@ptys said:
" @SpaceInsomniac said:

Yes, as others have said, my point is about the lack of gameplay, not the lack of violence.  I've enjoyed Braid, Portal, Phoenix Wright, Mirrors Edge, many LucasArts-style adventure games, and plenty of other games were violence is not the focus.  I do not consider myself a mainstream gamer.  

This game, on the other hand, has specifically released a trailer showcasing all the cool ways you can kill people with dynamic water.  It has a "take cover" button, and a "fire weapon" button, that are never used in the trial.  This game is NOT Mirrors Edge.  This game is not about avoiding violence through careful use of your environment.  Even if it was, the trial contains no violence to avoid.  Because of this, the trial is a complete failure when it comes to representing the full version of the game.
#26 Posted by JJOR64 (18906 posts) -
@Jemenez said:
" @JJOR64 said:
" I think the worst Trail Version for an XBLA game is SOTN.  All you get to do is the beginning part with Richter and that's it. "
I hope you're trolling, you get to play as long as you want until you die "
They must of changed it then.  When the game first launched, that's what the whole trail was.
#27 Posted by Teaspoon83 (623 posts) -

My quick review of the demo:   Hydrophobia: a bad PS2 game with horrible voice acting and shitty graphics now available for XBLA. 

Do I feel the need to buy the game after playing the terrible demo? Hell no. It has nice water but a gimmick doesn't make a good game.

#28 Posted by Daiphyer (1307 posts) -

This Hydrophobia controversy is hilarious. You've got somewhat selfish developers on one end, and the idiot who actually makes good points Jim Sterling on the other, and what you get is gold comedy.

#29 Posted by Agent47 (1894 posts) -
@Daiphyer: That point is no longer valid as of the patch update.The developers actually give a shit about their product.Good for them for wading the bad weather.
#30 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3555 posts) -
@Agent47: 
The trial version is still just as awful as ever (well, almost), seeing as you STILL never interact with any sort of enemy or weapon.
#31 Posted by Agent47 (1894 posts) -
@SpaceInsomniac: I dunno I never played the game, just suggesting.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.