Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hyperdimension Neptunia

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 25, 2011

A turn-based RPG for the PS3 by Compile Heart that has a Moe anthropomorphic representation of the Sega Neptune fighting alongside console-tans of the three major consoles against the evil Arfoire.

Hyperdimension Neptunia is Mad

PatPandaHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Edited By PatPandaHat

If you had told me that I would be playing a game almost entirely constructed from meta-jokes about the video game industry, built within a framework of a JRPG and visual novel, I may have called you mad. I may have called the publishers mad. I may have called the world itself mad.

But here I am, playing Hyperdimension Neptunia. When the prologue cutscenes of your game manages to to make a "Genesis does what Nintendon't" joke in 2011 and more surprisingly makes it work, I'm truthfully unsure what could await me further into the game. Summons of Fantasy Zone, dungeons where you're chasing a remarkably fast blue... wolf, an extended discussion regarding the breast size of respective consoles, an almost Final Fantasy 13-esque stagger meter as part of the battle mechanics...

This game is weird in ways I didn't know video games could be. Though ultimately, what shocks me about it is not that it was simply made. I have far too much knowledge about Japanese geek culture for that to be surprising. What shocks me is that it was released in the West of all things. How did that happen? I have no real idea, but I'm just glad it was.

PatPandaHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By PatPandaHat

If you had told me that I would be playing a game almost entirely constructed from meta-jokes about the video game industry, built within a framework of a JRPG and visual novel, I may have called you mad. I may have called the publishers mad. I may have called the world itself mad.

But here I am, playing Hyperdimension Neptunia. When the prologue cutscenes of your game manages to to make a "Genesis does what Nintendon't" joke in 2011 and more surprisingly makes it work, I'm truthfully unsure what could await me further into the game. Summons of Fantasy Zone, dungeons where you're chasing a remarkably fast blue... wolf, an extended discussion regarding the breast size of respective consoles, an almost Final Fantasy 13-esque stagger meter as part of the battle mechanics...

This game is weird in ways I didn't know video games could be. Though ultimately, what shocks me about it is not that it was simply made. I have far too much knowledge about Japanese geek culture for that to be surprising. What shocks me is that it was released in the West of all things. How did that happen? I have no real idea, but I'm just glad it was.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By Catolf
    @PatPandaHat:  XD glad to see some people are enjoying the game here on giantbomb.
    buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By buft

I honestly dont think i could take the characters/voice actors. as much as i love RPGs the whole over the top style of the game leaves me underwhelmed but different folk/strokes.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By KaosAngel

Mine should be in later this months.  I is excited. 

No Caption Provided
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Catolf

No Caption Provided
    @KaosAngel: COMPA / NEPTUNE OVER NEPTUNE/CHANGED NEPTUNE!
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Catolf: Alright, that's it I'm looking for some doujinshi for this game while I wait for the shipment.  
    Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Gaff
    @PatPandaHat "No, wait. They didn't just refer to... Oh, they totally did!" is something I muttering to myself way too often in my first ten levels of the game.

That, and trying to figure out what the "Avenir" company is referring to. It couldn't be... Nah.
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Catolf
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Catolf: Alright, that's it I'm looking for some doujinshi for this game while I wait for the shipment.   "
    Now you just gave me ideas..  I'd love to see some doujinshi of them both together, if you find any let me know!
    hyperfludd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By hyperfludd

I was happy when I got this game from GameFly. This game was disappointing. 

The concept and humor is there and I like the cast, but man..playing it is such a massive chore. Especially with it's retarded healing system. 

As much as I love the heroes (and especially the English VA, very great job), playing it was just not that fun for me. Power to those that do though. As they say, different strokes for different folks. Also oh god @ that Neptune picture. Is that mayo? Gross! :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.