Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hyperdimension Neptunia

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 25, 2011

A turn-based RPG for the PS3 by Compile Heart that has a Moe anthropomorphic representation of the Sega Neptune fighting alongside console-tans of the three major consoles against the evil Arfoire.

My first hours into Hyperdimension Neptunia..

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By Catolf

So I finally got to fully sit down and play this game today after forcing myself to put down Radiant Historia and all the grinding I was doing. I had gotten to play about an hour before and I got through the tutorial but today was a first real long haul into the gameplay. Boy did this game slap me across the face for thinking I could just march along..

I got the hang of most things but upon arriving at another dungeon I realized I still didn't fully understand the healing system. I understood it.. but I didn't UNDERSTAND it. I made it out to be more complicated than it was but getting my ass owned over and over again will make you sit down and rethink things. I browsed online and still no one really had an answer. Low and behold it was these little point things I missed. I thought the points were just disturbed as you leveled up but i found out it had to be done manually. Not only that you still had the likely hood of not getting healed because it wasn't 100%

This needless to say threw me off, I did to like to heal when I want to heal but over time and getting enough points to make it so far work 90% of the time I'm enjoying the little addition of a system with healing. (I loathed it at first..)

Sadly I figured all this out after I tried to fight the boss monster in that dungeon, one that I found that I DIDN'T need to fight or get owned by.. I was just supposed to find jelly.. how well do I pay attention huh? But I did kick that things ass and the extra levels haven't hurt.

Story wise I am very curious about it and optimistic about the outcome. Characters whom i thought would work my damn nerves (in english) i found to strangely like.. must be because they are cute. But I usually hate cute.. XD At least in RPG's you know who you ARE Beat << 

Dawww...
     Dawww...

Gameplay I find fun, though at times the over use of character's saying things DOES work my nerves (and my sisters) but over all I turned it into white noise now after so many hours. I know this game has gotten a lot of bad reviews but I like it, it's a neat little addition to the collection of strange JRPG's that I own.

The only thing I don't know how to do is sell old equipment.. i don't see a sell button so I wonder if your even able.. (possibly are and i'm just missing it when i buy things)

No this Game isn't a triple A title but it's a lot of fun if you like Anime, JRPG's and willing to try something different.

Now.. how the FUCK are people doing these dungeon's in 30 seconds... I'm fricken baffled.. O.O
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By FancySoapsMan

So many crazy Japanese games this year D:

This is one of those that I'm interested in, but there's a couple coming out in march too. So many games, so little time ;_____;

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Catolf
    @FancySoapsMan said:

" So many crazy Japanese games this year D:  This is one of those that I'm interested in, but there's a couple coming out in march too. So many games, so little time ;_____; "

I know what you mean, My wallet is crying.. I still need to get my hands on  Atelier rorona, so far it's still sitting on the shelf at GS XD So I figured with Ar Tonelico 3 coming out I might just pick up both at once.

It's pretty good, I don't get the bad reviews but I didn't read them all the way through so I should do that.
    drac96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By drac96
    @FancySoapsMan said:
    " So many crazy Japanese games this year D:  This is one of those that I'm interested in, but there's a couple coming out in march too. So many games, so little time ;_____; "
    NIS constantly releases JRPG's that are this level of crazy or higher. Most of them aren't very good though. Subscribe to their news letter and you'll get an email almost every other day about some obscure release. This goes on every year.
    LightRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By LightRain

What system is this game or?

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @LightRain: 360 and PS3
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Catolf
    @FancySoapsMan said:
    " @LightRain: 360 and PS3 "
    I've only seen it for ps3.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @Catolf said:
    " @FancySoapsMan said:
    I've only seen it for ps3. "
    You're right. I thought I saw a 360 version but I guess not :\
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Catolf
    @FancySoapsMan said:
    " @Catolf said:
    " @FancySoapsMan said:
    I've only seen it for ps3. "
    You're right. I thought I saw a 360 version but I guess not :\ "
    Would be neat if it was XD
    pekoe212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By pekoe212

Hmmm I was thinking about starting this up today, good to read your thoughts on it. I"m actually playing Atelier Rorona right now, but I'm so stressed out IRL at the moment that the time management system in that game is stressing me out too! I chose it because I thought all the item synthesizing and Japanese cuteness would be soothing, but man it is not working. Maybe the weirdness of Hyperdimension Neptunia will.

LightRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LightRain

GameFly only has the PS3 version :(

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Turambar

I am enjoying the puns, references, and 4th Wall breaking a lot more than I probably should.  But "Neptune does what you three don't" was pretty great.  Also if anyone got the art book along with the game, reading the fictional specs on the Neptune was pretty enjoyable.  Purple-ray drive indeed.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Catolf
    @pekoe212 said:
    " Hmmm I was thinking about starting this up today, good to read your thoughts on it. I"m actually playing Atelier Rorona right now, but I'm so stressed out IRL at the moment that the time management system in that game is stressing me out too! I chose it because I thought all the item synthesizing and Japanese cuteness would be soothing, but man it is not working. Maybe the weirdness of Hyperdimension Neptunia will. "
    I was actually going to pick that game up sooner or later, it was just the idea of having to hire party members turned me off a bit. I did like the idea's of Alchemy. Hyperdimension Neptunia takes a lot of stress out of things because it's rather funny and light hearted.

@LightRain said:
    " GameFly only has the PS3 version :( "

It only came out for the ps3 not the 360.. i'm sorry.

@Turambar said:
    " I am enjoying the puns, references, and 4th Wall breaking a lot more than I probably should.  But "Neptune does what you three don't" was pretty great.  Also if anyone got the art book along with the game, reading the fictional specs on the Neptune was pretty enjoyable.  Purple-ray drive indeed. "

I haven't gotten the chance to sit and look it over carefully, i'll have to read the fictional specs XD
    Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gaff

Everything about this game - parodying the current game consoles, SEGA cannibalising its past, the anime stylings - intrigue me.

Everything about this game - Idea Factory's track record, arcane game mechanics, that distinct Comiket feeling - puts me off.

I'm going out now, if I come back with the game, I'll hate you all.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Catolf
    @Gaff said:
    " Everything about this game - parodying the current game consoles, SEGA cannibalising its past, the anime stylings - intrigue me. Everything about this game - Idea Factory's track record, arcane game mechanics, that distinct Comiket feeling - puts me off. I'm going out now, if I come back with the game, I'll hate you all. "
    XD!
    Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gaff
    @Catolf: The good news: The official release date for Hyperdimension Neptunia is March 4th over here in Euro-land. 

The bad news: Of course, the little shop I normally go to has an import copy of the Limited Edition US version. Or rather had

The good news: I was already on the fence about this game, was actually planning to write a blog about it. 

The bad news: That doesn't get you off the hook. 

@Turambar: Wait a minute. According to the artbook, Noire, the Playstation incarnation, who has black hair in pigtails, bought a red guitar because of an anime? I'm not sure if I should laugh about the reference or just pandered to. Oh, my head.
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Catolf
    @Gaff:  Maybe a little more research will have you convinced. XD Or not convinced to pick it up.
    XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By XenoNick

This game really seems cool. Might pick it up on friday.

Avatar image for lemmycaution217
    Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Lemmycaution217

I'll pass. This game is too moe for me. 

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#20  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

It's nice to see the floodgates of strange Japanese games are opening again.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By animateria
    @Sparky_Buzzsaw said:
    " It's nice to see the floodgates of strange Japanese games are opening again. "
    I just want a localized 7th Dragon... 
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Catolf
    @rudeboy217 said:
    " I'll pass. This game is too moe for me.  "
    thats fine. Gotta put your dollar into something you'd want to play. Nice avatar btw

@Sparky_Buzzsaw said:
    " It's nice to see the floodgates of strange Japanese games are opening again. "

Hell yeah, did you see the gamplay for Ar Tonelico.. now that is a strange japanese game..clothes just falling off for attacks... XD
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By eroticfishcake

Ran into any JRPG cliches with this game? Personally I'm not a big fan of the whole moe thing but if the other aspects of it are good then I'm willing to give it a shot.

OmegaChosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By OmegaChosen

Good to hear some positive reports on this game. I was wondering whether I should pick it up and it seems like it might be up my alley. Now if only I had the money and time(Tactics Ogre, the two Ogre Battle games on the WiiShop, Pokemon Black, and Dragon Age II in addition to college are kind of filling up/going to fill up my schedule lately).

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SlightConfuse

this game sounds insane might try it

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Turambar
    @eroticfishcake said:

" Ran into any JRPG cliches with this game? Personally I'm not a big fan of the whole moe thing but if the other aspects of it are good then I'm willing to give it a shot. "

There are some, though the game is very self-aware of them and has a decent sense of humor.  Amnesia comes to mind immediately, though its more a running gag than anything else.  On a mechanical level though, the game is fairly mediocre at best.
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Catolf
    @eroticfishcake said:
    " Ran into any JRPG cliches with this game? Personally I'm not a big fan of the whole moe thing but if the other aspects of it are good then I'm willing to give it a shot. "
    the only thing I've found that the game makes fun off right off the bad is Neptune getting amnesia.. which even she won't take seriously (nor the other characters) and only do so to get the player (they actually address the player) to get used to the world a step at a time.

I admit that the dungeons repeat but the gameplay is fun enough for me to ignore and building your own combo from scratch is simply SATISFYING to see come to life. As said also by other people as well, the gameplay can have random difficulty, I'm playing on normal and you will have really easy creatures to fight then all of a sudden you get this boss like one out of no where that could own you.  

Shadowknight508 is way farther than I am in it, I'm only about ten or so hours in, but you can ask them if there is anything else to worry about cliche wise. Right now the only one is the amnesia that comes to mind.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Turambar
    @Catolf:  Wait, you can change difficulty?  Is that NG+ only?  Also it's just a tad disappointing that as time in quest dungeons and the Guard Break bar both steadily progress during an attack, you're essentially encouraged to skip most attack animations...
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Catolf
    @Turambar said:
    " @Catolf:  Wait, you can change difficulty?  Is that NG+ only?  Also it's just a tad disappointing that as time in quest dungeons and the Guard Break bar both steadily progress during an attack, you're essentially encouraged to skip most attack animations... "
    Oh no I just meant you'd get these little measily baddies then the big boss shows up out of nowhere and puts the smack down on you usually at random when you first enter a new dungeon. Gotta agree with you about the guard break, it refills really fricken fast and when it does your kinda doing little to no damage again on the bosses..
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Catolf: Overall thus far, how does it compare to the top tier popular RPGs, the mid level JRPG nuts one, and the crazy obscure ones?
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Catolf
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Catolf: Overall thus far, how does it compare to the top tier popular RPGs, the mid level JRPG nuts one, and the crazy obscure ones? "
    If you meant putting this up to any RPG Atlus has done then I'm going to say get the Atlus one, but as far as it being a solid experience I can say that it is an experience in itself. It's not the best RPG out there, definatly not saying that, but it's nuts enough to worth a purchase, I don't regret it and the battle system is fun enough and the girls are cute enough (and strangely not annoying to me yet) for me to say it's a solid purchase, story wise I'm curious about it and willing to venture more into the crazy to see whats going on.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.