Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

I Am Alive

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Mar 07, 2012

I Am Alive is a survival game. The story revolves around a man trying to find his family in the ruined Midwestern city of Haventon after a devastating, apocalyptic event.

Game engine glitches

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Shivoa

Ok duders, I'm looking for some info from people who have played I Am Alive but if you watched the QL and didn't see any artefacts then stop reading now, knowing what to look for makes it more likely you'll see issues so if you didn't notice then save yourself.

Ok, now they're gone. Does the game have view frustum culling issues (at a guess it seems like they're a frame behind where they should be, that's an easy bug to introduce; it could even be something else but if I was a betting man I'd go with that) throughout or is it quite limited? To put that more plainly, does the game render the stuff in front of the camera but keep missing bits when you pan around at the edge where new content is appearing? To save drawing things you can't see (which involves asking the GPU to draw them and then it realising the object isn't in front of the camera and giving up - this requires more work than working out on the CPU that the object isn't in front of the camera so don't tell the GPU about it at all) the calculation to work out if the object can be seen seems to be a bit off. It is very visible in the QL (when in a dark area and the skybox is white) and I wanted to know (from someone who already sees the glitches) if it is there throughout the game. It actually does ruin my gaming when a basic and so visible bug is constantly making me wish I could reach in and debug their code.

I've included some shrunk screencaps from the QL (check the left edge of the frame as the camera pans for meshes being rendered only on the second frame in which they're visible):

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TentPole

You have a problem.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By buft

I'm going back to reading books, how can anyone play this game?

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By SomeDeliCook

RIght in the middle of playing the trial, and after the part where you face four guys (two at a time) theres a US flag in front of a building hanging. I noticed it was strangely stiff even though theres dust clouds zipping by with wind. Well, when I got within enough proximity, apparently the animation kicked in because all of a sudden it started animating. Then, I stepped back a few feet, and it froze in place. I tried to replicate this, and yep, it did the same thing everytime. It stands out now

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Scooper

I saw it a lot in the Quicklook, too. It was really obvious to me. I was surprised Vinny didn't point that out. An engine should not let that sort of thing fly to be honest. A lot of engines have texture pop-in when you whip the camera around real fast but model pop-in, especialy when it's the structure of the map, sucks. I don't really mind when small models like trash bags or whatever pop-in but this kinda sucks.

But hey, it is like $10 isn't it?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.