My Thoughts Before I Launch My First Game For Sale

Posted by Zvarri (123 posts) -

Hi everyone,

To start things off, I'm this guy. In seven hours as of this writing, I will be making available for sale my "first" game, I Get This Call Every Day. You might think that I would be nothing but excitement and enthusiasm, but I've been nothing but a big ball of nervous stress.

Some of that is launch-related: I don't have time to make a launch trailer! and what if the payment processor goes down? and I'll be at work all day on launch day, what if something goes wrong and demands my attention?

Some of that comes from everything else going on around me: cash is tight, bills have piled up, the usual holiday gifting pressure, and medical scares for both my wife and my mother-in-law that haven't been resolved.

Two years ago at Christmastime, my dog Kayla got irreparably sick. I made the call to end her suffering. I constantly question whether I made the right decision. The memory of holding her during her last twitch, watching her limp body being carried away... it haunts me. Especially this time of the year. I probably should have waited until the Holidays were over, because ever since Kayla passed, I hate this time of year.

I know there's a part of me that has deliberately lowered my expectations. I've gotten super-enthusiastic about my work in the past, only to have it shot down (often by my own father). I've become resilient to criticism by lowering expectations. There's less disappointment if it wasn't a big deal to begin with.

Last night I imagined what would happen today if I woke up and found out I was dying. My first regret would be that I wasn't leaving the world with something more positive. I Get This Call Every Day is bleak. It expresses everything I hate about my day job - dealing with idiots, dealing with a bureaucracy sorely lacking in human empathy, existing in an ugly world for eight hours every day. There is no good ending to the game. Others have found humour in the script, but I find none of it funny because it is EXACTLY what I named the game. I get this call every goddamned day. It's not exactly how I want to be remembered.

I wonder if other gamemakers feel this way when a launch is upon them?

I specified "first" in the beginning because I Get This Call Every Day is technically my seventh game. Zombie Zapper, EscapeOut, Ouroborn, A Game For Ana, Josephine, and Apocalypse Later are all a) jam games, made in 72 hours or less, and b) browser-based games that don't warrant a page on this site. You can find them on my website if you're interested, along with my interactive fictions. I Get This Call Every Day is the first game I made outside of a jam, the first game I ever did a huge amount of audio work for (over 250 voice clips, which are bloody hard to produce), and the first game I invested a significant amount of my time and my personality. Part of me hopes that it does well, and another part of me doesn't expect it to do much of anything. That's the defense mechanism talking.

I have no idea how to end this.

#1 Posted by Zvarri (123 posts) -

Hi everyone,

To start things off, I'm this guy. In seven hours as of this writing, I will be making available for sale my "first" game, I Get This Call Every Day. You might think that I would be nothing but excitement and enthusiasm, but I've been nothing but a big ball of nervous stress.

Some of that is launch-related: I don't have time to make a launch trailer! and what if the payment processor goes down? and I'll be at work all day on launch day, what if something goes wrong and demands my attention?

Some of that comes from everything else going on around me: cash is tight, bills have piled up, the usual holiday gifting pressure, and medical scares for both my wife and my mother-in-law that haven't been resolved.

Two years ago at Christmastime, my dog Kayla got irreparably sick. I made the call to end her suffering. I constantly question whether I made the right decision. The memory of holding her during her last twitch, watching her limp body being carried away... it haunts me. Especially this time of the year. I probably should have waited until the Holidays were over, because ever since Kayla passed, I hate this time of year.

I know there's a part of me that has deliberately lowered my expectations. I've gotten super-enthusiastic about my work in the past, only to have it shot down (often by my own father). I've become resilient to criticism by lowering expectations. There's less disappointment if it wasn't a big deal to begin with.

Last night I imagined what would happen today if I woke up and found out I was dying. My first regret would be that I wasn't leaving the world with something more positive. I Get This Call Every Day is bleak. It expresses everything I hate about my day job - dealing with idiots, dealing with a bureaucracy sorely lacking in human empathy, existing in an ugly world for eight hours every day. There is no good ending to the game. Others have found humour in the script, but I find none of it funny because it is EXACTLY what I named the game. I get this call every goddamned day. It's not exactly how I want to be remembered.

I wonder if other gamemakers feel this way when a launch is upon them?

I specified "first" in the beginning because I Get This Call Every Day is technically my seventh game. Zombie Zapper, EscapeOut, Ouroborn, A Game For Ana, Josephine, and Apocalypse Later are all a) jam games, made in 72 hours or less, and b) browser-based games that don't warrant a page on this site. You can find them on my website if you're interested, along with my interactive fictions. I Get This Call Every Day is the first game I made outside of a jam, the first game I ever did a huge amount of audio work for (over 250 voice clips, which are bloody hard to produce), and the first game I invested a significant amount of my time and my personality. Part of me hopes that it does well, and another part of me doesn't expect it to do much of anything. That's the defense mechanism talking.

I have no idea how to end this.

#2 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

You should have ended it by linking to your game page at least three more times, would have been apt!! Seriously though, good luck.

#3 Posted by Zvarri (123 posts) -

Ironically, I haven't linked once to the site where one could actually BUY the game.

#4 Edited by tunaburn (1879 posts) -

this seems like it would take what? 5 minutes to finish? 10 minutes? i dont mean to make, but i mean to finish the game.

#5 Posted by Zvarri (123 posts) -
#6 Posted by Zvarri (123 posts) -

Oh god oh fuck oh crap FIFTEEN MINUTES

#7 Posted by Baillie (4026 posts) -

@Zvarri: Get a mac version and I'll be all over it.

#8 Posted by Zvarri (123 posts) -

@Baillie: Sadly I was unable to create a proper Mac version in time for launch, but with some tinkering it is playable on a Mac.

1) Extract the .zip file, which can be done in Terminal or with a program like Unarchiver

2) Find the IGetThisCallEveryDay.swf file

3) Load that file in a browser

4) Done.

#9 Posted by Zvarri (123 posts) -

Well folks, I set out to make my first dollar from one of my games. In less than an hour, I have made my first one hundred dollars.

HOLY FREAKING COW.

#10 Posted by Baillie (4026 posts) -

@Zvarri: Being endorsed by KVO is no small feat.

#11 Posted by Zvarri (123 posts) -

@Baillie: That meant a lot!

#12 Posted by MarkJW (118 posts) -

Good luck duder. I also work in a call center, but I got moved up a level where I only make calls out now. It still sucks, but at least I don't get that same call over and over.

There are better jobs out there, keep looking.

#13 Posted by envane (1159 posts) -

@Zvarri: grats duder , tbh this is on my "i may check it out when i get incredibly bored" bookmark list .. but im always supportive of ppl making the effort to release something as seemingly personal as this. From what i heard jasper byrne went thru alot of shit making lone survivor , and even more introspective madness after it came out and ppl started giving their opinions etc.

good luck !

#14 Posted by Paindamnation (783 posts) -

You're making a game about my Job. Nice "Job?" Seems interesting.

#15 Posted by CornBREDX (4754 posts) -

Ya, I work at a call center doing internet tech support. Well, I work from home, but still same job. 

Every call is indeed an unwinnable scenario.

#16 Posted by RafamanGrundy (44 posts) -

Oh god, it's been a couple of years since I worked in a call centre, and just reading the description for this game is making my stomach tighten in recognition. Steeling myself to check it out, this looks like a fantastic creative reaction to a side of modern life that I think is underrepresented artistically.

#17 Posted by csl316 (7963 posts) -
@Zvarri: Hey, you got on the front page of the site.

I'd say clean up the wiki page a little.   Youtube links in the description line look kind of weird.
#18 Posted by Karkarov (2942 posts) -

I just read the premise of your game and it is not a Kobayashi Maru at all. If the call ends with you doing nothing and the idiot customer hanging up pissed off you definitely won the scenario. As a guy who works a call centre I am sure you can understand why I say this. To be more realistic next time you should also include an option to place the customer on hold while you tell your co worked what a #@!#^&*!!&($ dumb (@$^& monkey your customer is.

#19 Posted by oueddy (56 posts) -

I just played a game of the worst calls that are part of my job, thanks for making this a great christmas break *cry*

#20 Posted by KingHippp0 (112 posts) -

I had a job like this once. Bravo.

#21 Posted by ReverendHunt (311 posts) -

Aw, man. Just read that you lost your job 'cause of this. How terrible. I hope the sales of the game keeps you afloat for a while, whilst you look for another one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.