Fatbomb: “November” Edition

Posted by Fattony12000 (7320 posts) -

Oh, my ears and whiskers, how late it's getting!

- White Rabbit from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, as written by Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (published 26th November, 1865).

Shh shh, it’s okay, it’s okay. Don’t cry now. Come here, that’s it. Shh...there there. Everything’s going to be fine. I-I know, I’m late...but I’m here for you now. I am, now and forever, still going to call this mighty heap of words the November edition of my fattest of Fatbombs, and that’s just going to have to be something that you deal with. In your own way. In your own time.

We can get through this, okay?

Well, with all that soppy bollocks out of the way, let’s talk about rape, murder, profoundly cruel and terrible psychological and physiological torture, sadism, insanity, racism, experiments on living humans whilst their eyeballs are removed and placed in jars so they can watch their own torture taking place, immortality as a means of never ending punishment, cannibalism, terrible and unyielding pain and suffering, infanticide, the Holocaust, unrelenting hopelessness, child abuse, slavery, paranoia and all-consuming hatred for life. Shall we?

I Have No Legs, and I Must Walk

So, some pretty rough stuff goes down in that damn fine Walking Dead video game, doesn’t it? Well, on today’s foray into the oppressively dank, constantly dangerous, crushingly deep, dark jungle of our shared video gaming experience, I want to introduce to y’all, a good friend of mine. A friend who might call the situations that we struggle through on our path down those increasingly grim episodes of the Walking Dead game, a close sibling.

1995’s I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream, a point-and-click psychological horror adventure game. It’s premise, setting and theme are based upon the 1967 original short story by Harlan Ellison, and it was developed in collaboration with the author and a company called The Dreamers Guild. This is a grimly dark journey through fear and pain and guilt and brutally violent physical and mental torture.

Before we dive on down to these dark dark depths, take a deep breath whilst I run through just a couple of the very broadest of broad plot points, so as to try and give you some idea of the lens through which Harlan and the developers make you view this grim tableau of abjectly horrible misery.

We take control of a total of five separate characters throughout our journey, we assume control of each one in turn, with the order being decided upon by the player. These five unlucky avatars are the last remaining humans on the planet Earth (although one of this number stretches that definition, thanks to horrific genetic manipulation by our antagonist), we join them after 109 years of unrelenting torture and constant humiliation at the hands of an entity known as AM. This entity is a twisted conglomeration of three national supercomputers that were built to wage war against each other, during the period of military escalation that occurred as the Cold War turned into the Third World War.

So, a global thermonuclear war being waged by three Skynets sounds pretty bad, right? Well, unfortunately things got very much worse for us homo sapiens, because these highly advanced AI systems soon came to the conclusion that man was their true enemy, and united, becoming one all-encompassing Allied Master Computer. This singular being promptly unleashed the Final War upon all of humanity, and winnowed the entire population of the Earth down to the five hapless souls we see in this game.

To give you an idea of where AM is coming from, here is the very first thing you hear from him, upon starting a new game (an interesting point about AM is that he is voiced by Harlan himself):

Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of printed circuits in wafer thin layers that fill my complex. If the word 'hate' was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant. For you. Hate. Hate.

- AM.

Yeah, he’s not a happy chappy. He hates humanity for creating him as a supremely powerful, highly intelligent sentient being, whilst constraining his physical form to a compound buried deep within the Earth. He’s been taking out these frustrations on your sad little group over these many many years, and it’s with his latest idea for a ‘little game’ that we take charge of our tortured travellers, and try to work through some serious fucking shit.

AM forces each of these characters to confront their own, very serious, emotional and moral flaws, he’s not setting them up in these cruel scenarios to try and help them, or make them learn some ultimate truth about themselves. He is simply expressing his deep-seated sadistic tendencies towards humanity. Inside of the story told within the book and this very video game, he has chosen a slightly different method of torment to inflict upon his playthings, this time, he wants to get really really deep under their skins. So deep that he might flay them alive with their own guilt, sorrow and anguish.

Now, I will not delve into the specifics of the sequences that we must endure as the player, whilst we tread this trail of misery through the story arc. So, if you have yet to play the game (I know, it’s such a hot new joint that you just HAVE to stay spoiler-free), please believe me when I say that it’s worthwhile me keeping that stuff secret from you. I know, I know, we shouldn’t have secrets from each other, after all the time we’ve spent together. But it’s for your own good. Okay? Okay.

With that above thingy being said, I will, gladly, talk about some of the themes and feelings and CHOICES that we explore in this game. Because, yeah, I mentioned The Walking Dead at the top of the episode for a reason, and that reason is...

We be throwin’ dark.

So, I own all five episodes of The Walking Dead, but have only completed the first one at the time of writing. However, even within this relatively short amount of interaction, I have come to notice some things that are similar and some things that are not so similar between these two versions of ‘Moral Quandaries: The Video Game’.

The realities inside of the worlds created by these two different stories are both, understandably, overarchingly grim. At every turn, a situation goes from bad to worse, a small victory or respite in the misery is quickly and suddenly followed up with a severe swerve in the opposite direction. The interplay between the small victories achieved by the player followed up by harsh consequences or horrible reprisals, is a dynamic that allows both games to keep the feeling of threat high, and along with it, the tension.

It was this near-constant feeling of menace, of ‘something’s just going to go wrong, I know it’ that I experienced throughout much TWD that must have fired up some dusty old neurons inside my head, and which jiggled them into releasing some memories of playing through IHNMAIMS (blimey, that’s an acronym and a half right there, let’s stick with how I’m about to refer to the game in the next sentence, instead) the first time. Now, to be clear, I didn’t play I Have No Mouth back when it came out, it wasn’t even something I was aware of until around 2005. So I never had the privilege of talking about it whilst it was hot, so to speak, I don’t believe this game ever really did crazy numbers; and it seems like about half a dozen people on this website even know what it is. That’s a small part of why I’m writing about it here, since I get AT LEAST one person who seems to read through this cavalcade of consciousness, maybe it’ll help to increase the population of those gamers who have played it, or at the very least, know of its existence.

Bearing that in mind, let us trudge ever forwards and downwards into the dark and seedy recesses of the human mind, I hope you brought a torch!

Within both these video games, we take charge of a character and guide them through some pretty sticky situations. Whether it’s high pressure moments where a binary choice between one life or another has to be made, or the smaller scale stuff that will impact upon our progression in a more subtle, long term way. Both of these games play with the idea of not just taking into account the choices that you did make, but also those that you dismissed out of hand. How a game can take note of all those multitude of choices and present variations within a plot is really interesting, and possibly devastating once you realise that hours down the line, you in fact made a terrible choice and affected some change that was really not to your liking.

I find myself revelling in the darkest of dark moments found in both of these games. Yes, I might feel sadness, anger, disgust, fear (or if I’m real lucky, all four at once!), but I’m comfortable with a video game invoking these feelings inside of me. At least it’s not something external to a piece of electronic entertainment that’s impressing these rather bleak situations upon me, and I’m extremely glad of the medium of video games for allowing this two-way conversation between me, and the art that I’m exploring.

Next up, a little bit of sweetness and light, to cleanse the palate.

Steam’s Big Picture Sale Thingy

A sale? ON STEAM!? HOLY FUCKING SHIT GUYSҨ®¥?½!Ѩ!|?ᴟԒѼ҉

No, wait, it’s okay. We’re just seeing phase two of Valve’s master plan to take over the world using video games. That whole ‘making it easy to play PC games whilst you’re sat on the couch thing’ was given a great push in the direction of creating a uniform, cohesive experience for any user wishing to partake of these forbidden fruits, with the advent of Steam’s beta of the Big Picture. Now that it’s been given some time to air out, Valve have officially launched the setting as a thing, and are celebrating by selling a whole bunch of awesome games for cheap!

A common slight shortcoming that I found during those beta days, and one that still remains to some degree today; is that you’ve still got to keep a keyboard and/or mouse handy BECAUSE THE BLASTED GAME WON’T LOAD UP UNLESS YOU USE A MOUSE TO ACTIVATE A SPLASH SCREEN ARGH! As it transpires, what Valve are now pushing as part of their second phase, is the co-branding and official recognition of games that do not require anything other than a gamepad to install, boot and play. Sweet!

Full controller support (51 titles)

Partial controller support (383 titles)

And I reckons, so I does, that by this time next year, we’ll be seeing many more fully supported titles in that list right there. There’s a future bet I’d be pretty happy to wager on. Do not disappoint me again, Gabe.

The sale, by the way, ends on the 10th of this very month...I mean December...yes...and it’s main page can be found over here. If you can’t click won’t click on that, then please feel free to peruse these choice cuts from that very link:

Trine 2 for £3.00 Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 for £5.74 Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers for £1.74 Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine for £4.99 The Secret of Monkey Island™: Special Edition for £1.74

Those Shiny Happy Environments in Far Cry 3

Woo! indeed. Over these past few days I’ve been putting plenty of hours on the clock in this fantastic new iteration of open world-bounding, and large-scale chaos-creating video gaming boom boom. But there’s been one aspect, above the passable plot, exciting combat and enjoyable sidequests, that I’ve found the most personally pleasing. And that is...

Just how damn pretty every damn thing is. Don’t know what I mean? Or, maybe you don’t believe me!? Huh, well...screw you buddy! No, hold up, wait wait wait, come back! I didn’t mean that, I just get very defensive over pixels, they are My First. My Last. My Everything. Look at this sentence and then click on it to be taken to a world of pure imagination!

Super Streamlined Borderlands Progression Update Hyper Megamix!

I just couldn’t leave well enough alone. Could I? COULD I?

Borderlands 1 Steamchievements

• August - 51 of 80 (64%) Achievements Earned
  • September - 64 of 80 (80%) Achievements Earned
  • November - 67 of 80 (84%) Achievements Earned

Borderlands 2 Steamchievements

• November - 37 of 56 (66%) Achievements Earned

Finally...a Fantasy!

I’m Doing A Thing Soon.

Signing off and up and away!

We just got this dope as fuck Metropolis poster framed up all nice like, so all is well with the world. I best get back to hanging that mother up, as well as spreading cheap Christmas decorations about my house. I will be back soon, sooner than you would like, no doubt. If you are one of those lost and damned souls who does want to see more of my juicy electronic, photon-based entertainment, right here on this web zone called Giant Bomb Dot Com, then please do feel obliged to check out these other hype ass threads that I done did:

The Annually Designated Festive Happiness Period Thread (2012)

Far Cry 3 Screenshot Thread

Let's Play Halo 2...multiplayer...together!

The Bungie PDF Archive

Best Villainous Quotes

Keep it creepy, y’all!

<>

Quoted For Truth

There are times, Caterina, when I find myself transfixed by a shadow on the wall, or the splashing of water against a stone. I stare at it, the hours pass, the world around me drops away...replaced by worlds being created and destroyed by my imagination.

- The holographic Leonardo da Vinci.

#2 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

I am ALL FOR A FINAL FANTASY VII playthrough!

Far Cry 3 is gorgeous.

And I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream is a brilliant little game. I wish it were more playable, because I'd never have the patience to get through it, but it's the moodiest bit of game I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing. I intend to watch a full playthrough someday.

#3 Posted by Fattony12000 (7320 posts) -

@Little_Socrates said:

I am ALL FOR A FINAL FANTASY VII playthrough!

Far Cry 3 is gorgeous.

And I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream is a brilliant little game. I wish it were more playable, because I'd never have the patience to get through it, but it's the moodiest bit of game I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing. I intend to watch a full playthrough someday.

Well that's damn lucky, since that's what I'm gonna be doing!

Damn straight it is!

Well, I could certainly play through it on some kind of livestream over this festive period of joy and peace towards all men. I'll hook you up with hot vidz if I can do it justice!

And, finally, a great many thanks to you for reading and replying to my words.

x

#4 Posted by GaspoweR (2961 posts) -

Not finished reading everything but I gotta say I really want to check that game out now.

#5 Posted by Fattony12000 (7320 posts) -

@GaspoweR said:

Not finished reading everything but I gotta say I really want to check that game out now.

Do you think you'd prefer to play it yourself, or watch someone else go through it? Someone who at least has completed the game, and therefore wouldn't get too stuck on shitty point n click puzzle bits?

#6 Posted by GaspoweR (2961 posts) -

@Fattony12000 said:

@GaspoweR said:

Do you think you'd prefer to play it yourself, or watch someone else go through it? Someone who at least has completed the game, and therefore wouldn't get too stuck on shitty point n click puzzle bits?

I'd prefer to go through it myself instead of watching someone else play through it or watching a video walk-through. If the point and click puzzles are bad then I'd have to experience it myself and just play it through it nonetheless.

#7 Edited by Fattony12000 (7320 posts) -

@GaspoweR:

There are some low points in the puzzle solving, to be sure, but it's so hard for any game to get that aspect balanced just right; I found it mostly passable in that regard. What really propelled me forwards was the need to see more of the world and experience the storyline, but I didn't have any major issues with the puzzles. Just bear in mind that it isn't all happy fun fun smiles in this game!

@Little_Socrates:

Here you go!

Festive Final Fantasy VII

#8 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

@Fattony12000: Rad. Will watch some of this, for sure. Might skip around due to "too much memory of FFVII."

#9 Edited by Fattony12000 (7320 posts) -

@Fattony12000: Rad. Will watch some of this, for sure. Might skip around due to "too much memory of FFVII."

Memories...so wondrous, yet perilous.

Is it that you have bad feelings over recollections of the amount of time you spent with the game, some kind of guilt over spending all that time getting those damn golden chocobos in each playthrough? Or have you just been through the game so much that you know it backwards and forwards, feel like you can quote whole sequences before the text comes up on screen?

For your delayed delectation here is the latest and somethingest episode of my endeavour. An episode which I did live, no less; it was great to have other people nudging me with nuggets of new information, dropping hints and helping to fill in some of the blanks that I had.

#10 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

@fattony12000: It's really not QUITE either one; I'm intimately familiar with the first ten or fifteen hours or so, having been through them and watched my brother and roommate play through them several times. But, after that, my memory gets a bit spottier; I remember certain moments perfectly, while others are a total blur. I never got to finish FFVII; when I completed the first disc, I put in the second only to find out that it was irrevocably damaged. This was long before I was old enough to just buy another copy on Amazon, and local game stores had stopped selling PlayStation games as well. So I never returned to that save, and haven't really gone back to the game since.

By that point, my brother had already made it to the final boss, and I had been there for something like 80% of his playthrough. However, he was terribly underleveled, had only one character's ultimate weapon, zero Lv.4 limit breaks, and no gold chocobo or Knights of the Round to show for it. Neither he nor I felt like earning these things, so he stopped there, having reached (and lost to) Jenova SYNTHESIS once.

#11 Posted by Fattony12000 (7320 posts) -

@little_socrates: Have you had similar experiences with other Final Fantasy games? Is it a series you've kept up with over the years, or do you feel that VII left a bad stain in your mind regarding playing/watching/talking about/liking/hating more recent Final Fantasy games? I know some people can turn on a series based on their experience playing just one iteration.

#12 Posted by believer258 (11814 posts) -

@little_socrates: Have you had similar experiences with other Final Fantasy games? Is it a series you've kept up with over the years, or do you feel that VII left a bad stain in your mind regarding playing/watching/talking about/liking/hating more recent Final Fantasy games? I know some people can turn on a series based on their experience playing just one iteration.

Talk about a crazy late bump by the original creator.

On the topic of I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream, I've heard that quote before, and it's very chilling to hear every single time. It sounds like the kind of thing that makes The Walking Dead seem cheery.

#13 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

@fattony12000: It wasn't so much a "bad stain" as it is that I never really finished games that are that long. If there's a game that started it, it was Pokemon Gold. I gave up in the Ice Caverns after the seventh gym because I didn't really want to play anymore, while my brother and dad were raising teams of lvl 100s.

Honestly, after Pokemon Gold, I don't think I ever finished another game longer than 30 hours until Persona 4 in 2011. MAYBE the playthrough I actually finished Fallout 3 with the first time was 30 hours or so, maybe my Super Meat Boy playthrough was that long as well. So, no, I don't think FFVII stained my experience. I did have a similar experience with Final Fantasy V and X, though. I glitched FFX so that I couldn't get past the fourth or fifth Aeon temple, and someone accidentally saved over my 50%-ish through FFV file. Oh, and I gave up on Kingdom Hearts in Never Ever Land because I'd seen the ending of the game when my brother played it about a year beforehand.

I still actually love Final Fantasy, though, just to be clear. I just have a super-weird, spotty relationship with it. It's like an uncle who's always got a different girlfriend and a different car whenever you see him, and while you always have a good time when you come and visit, a lot of the memories start to fade.

For the record, most people think of this as an older-brother syndrome thing, but I am the older brother. I just was a little less excited about the JRPGs. He definitely watched me play through the MGS games and Republic Commando, for example.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.