Should I play this game?

#1 Posted by GhostlyEnigma (253 posts) -

I'm a huge fan of Harlan Ellison's work, and I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream is my favorite short story of all time. So I naturally became interested in this game. I keep hearing both good and bad things about it. It won a few awards, but it received a highly negative review from a GameSpot editor.  

So is this game worth playing? Or is it a horrible game that I should avoid?

#2 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3483 posts) -

Fuck yes!

#3 Posted by hmmisee (156 posts) -

Definitely, it's an incredible adventure game experience, it has so much story and is a true adult game experience.

#4 Edited by Village_Guy (2546 posts) -

It is a horrible game that is worth playing. Go out and play it!

EDIT: Ha! I didn't realize that was such an old thread :)

#5 Posted by GTCknight (693 posts) -

I don't have anything to say here right now.

However, I do love how this question that was asked 1 year, and 2 months ago is answered again today.

#6 Posted by Gerhabio (1977 posts) -

Can this game be acquired as a download?

#7 Posted by BlackLagoon (1409 posts) -

@Gerhabio: No, I believe the only legal way to acquire the game is to buy the original CD-ROM version old school mail order style from the official Harlan Ellison Record Collection (listed under books).

#8 Edited by Humanity (9056 posts) -

It's a horrible game in that there is a very specific list of esoteric things one must accomplish in order to get the "good" ending. It's been a while though so I don't remember exactly how that goes. It's a fairly wonky point and click game with an interesting premise. A much better game in terms of gameplay AND story is Sanitarium

#9 Edited by believer258 (11802 posts) -
highly negative review from a GameSpot editor.

Well, which one?

EDIT: Nevermind, it was Ron Dulin. Whoever that is.

#10 Posted by 9cupsoftea (654 posts) -

@Humanity said:

It's a horrible game in that there is a very specific list of esoteric things one must accomplish in order to get the "good" ending. It's been a while though so I don't remember exactly how that goes. It's a fairly wonky point and click game with an interesting premise. A much better game in terms of gameplay AND story is Sanitarium

This is true (though I haven't played sanitarium). It's annoyingly picky and weird and some of the puzzles are downright stupid. I played about halfway through but when I hit the wall I watched the rest on youtube. I enjoyed watching it more.

#11 Posted by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream was some scary stuff. A new version by Telltale would be neat.

#12 Posted by BBAlpert (1445 posts) -

If you don't play it, at least read/watch the Let's Play of it (http://lparchive.org/I-Have-No-Mouth-and-I-Must-Scream/).

The game goes down some really fucking dark paths, man. Especially with Nimdok and Ellen (if you're really impatient, you could skip to part 27 to see what I'm talking about, but I'd suggest reading through the rest first).

#13 Posted by Fattony12000 (7304 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.