I'm not even going to try.

#1 Posted by Sincillian (530 posts) -

After all this talk of Super Meat Boy and how it's like I Wanna Be The Guy I thought to myself "since I don't have a 360 lets see where Super Meat Boy gets it's inspiration from since that looks fun as hell". So I found it and downloaded it and the torture commenced.  
 
OMG I have never played a harder game. I never even passed the first level because after realizing I wasn't supposed to go downwards but upwards I kept dying over and over from fucking apples or cherries or whatever the fuck they were supposed to be. After getting the timing and pattern down I got to the next part and promptly said Fuck This and stopped playing. Am I confident I could eventually get past it? Sure I probably could eventually. Will I ever try? FUCK NO......well no time soon at least.   
 
Ahh fuck it I'm starting it up as I type this. I will finish this game. 
 
So for all of you who actually played and beat it or at least got pretty far what kept you going? 

#2 Posted by Malakhii (1443 posts) -

If you want to be the guy, you have to beat the game. It's that simple. 

#3 Posted by ShadowKing7 (753 posts) -

I Wanna Be The Guy is deliberately unfair.  There WILL, I repeat, WILL be many times you die where you just have to learn what each thing does and basically memorize it.  What kept me going was the awesome music, some quite hilarious deaths now and then, and probably a sheer masochistic will to not let the game get the best of me.
 
That being said, I'm crazy because I also love the game for that reason.  I can't think of a time where I was more satisfied beating a game than this one.   
 
Of course, I also can't think of another game where I cussed and yelled more than this one either, but it comes with the territory in this game XD.  This is a game you have to stick with, but it was worth it for me.
#4 Posted by Sincillian (530 posts) -
@Malakhii said:
" If you want to be the guy, you have to beat the game. It's that simple.  "
I know and that's keeping me going. 
 
@ShadowKing7 said:
" I Wanna Be The Guy is deliberately unfair.  There WILL, I repeat, WILL be many times you die where you just have to learn what each thing does and basically memorize it.  What kept me going was the awesome music, some quite hilarious deaths now and then, and probably a sheer masochistic will to not let the game get the best of me. That being said, I'm crazy because I also love the game for that reason.  I can't think of a time where I was more satisfied beating a game than this one.    Of course, I also can't think of another game where I cussed and yelled more than this one either, but it comes with the territory in this game XD.  This is a game you have to stick with, but it was worth it for me. "
Interesting. I'll stick with this game.  
 
Now I'm on a part where I have to jump on Bullet Bills at just the right time so I can get over these spikes and try not to die. Masochistic game how I hate thee so much. 
#5 Posted by JackSukeru (5912 posts) -

I did the same thing as you, but man did I hate that game. I played to the part overlooking the town and gave up cause I didn't know where I should be going.

#6 Posted by jkz (4026 posts) -
@ShadowKing7 said:
" I Wanna Be The Guy is deliberately unfair.  There WILL, I repeat, WILL be many times you die where you just have to learn what each thing does and basically memorize it.  What kept me going was the awesome music, some quite hilarious deaths now and then, and probably a sheer masochistic will to not let the game get the best of me. That being said, I'm crazy because I also love the game for that reason.  I can't think of a time where I was more satisfied beating a game than this one.    Of course, I also can't think of another game where I cussed and yelled more than this one either, but it comes with the territory in this game XD.  This is a game you have to stick with, but it was worth it for me. "
Agreed wholeheartedly. I've never finished the game (the section of the graveyard level with 3 floors of spikes that pop in and out of the ground at ridiculous speed made that part unbeatable for me), but that game is utterly entrancing.
#7 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5828 posts) -

Super Meat Boy isn't really like I Wanna be The Guy though. It's more about speed and timing than anything else.

#8 Posted by Sincillian (530 posts) -
@RockmanBionics said:
" I did the same thing as you, but man did I hate that game. I played to the part overlooking the town and gave up cause I didn't know where I should be going. "
I'm starting to loathe this game so much.
#9 Posted by ShadowKing7 (753 posts) -
@Sincillian:
Just remember, taking a break is wholeheartedly encouraged.  Even as someone who has much love for the game, there really is only so much you can play or take with it in one sitting.
#10 Posted by Sincillian (530 posts) -
@ShadowKing7:  
 Yeah I think I'm going to take a break. So attempts at one thing only to get it right once and then mess up.
#11 Posted by SBYM (1219 posts) -

Save yourself the stress and watch a playthrough on YouTube or something. I got a couple dozen screens in after it came out and haven't really played since.

#12 Posted by supermike6 (3564 posts) -

I beat the first couple of screens, but I just didn't like the controls so I stopped. Then I just watched most of it on Youtube, and felt pretty damn good about it.

#13 Posted by Entus (253 posts) -

I finished the game on the default difficulty a while ago. It's really hard at the beginning. Then once you get a hang of the controls, you can get through a level in a few tries. 
 
Note: you have to take the downwards path sooner or later. There's a fake wall on the first screen with the moving wall-spike things that you can go through.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.